Sign in to follow this  
hequestrian

Panda Update

Lately I have been having a really hard time staying motivated and riding. Pretty much since I moved Panda back to my families barn for the summer. I now have to ride alone all the time- Which I know isn't the end of the world but it isn't nearly as fun as being able to go for a hack with friends before or after a ride and what not. Also having someone on the ground is nice. I have a really hard time being able to ride when someone is on property which is a bit nerve wracking becuase Panda is so unreliable and I never know what horse I'm going to get. He may be the sweet willing horse or other days the demonic bucking bronco that likes to surface. :/

I rode him Wednesday and he was satans spawn so I figured that after all that work we put in that he would behave better on Thursday. I was wrong. He was possibly worse.

I ended up getting off because he was being nasty and I put him on the lunge to see if I could get him to respond better that way. He relaxed much more and started to use himself instead of just throwing himself around. I hopped back on after that, more for my piece of mind than for him (if I get off when hes being bad and don't get back on I tend to be very nervous the next ride).

I think he needs to be on happy pills... When he's good he's so good but when he's bad- watch out.

Here are some pictures my mom took from Wednesday. Nothing spectacular and he was moving like a freak with his head up in the clouds but I tried to pick the ones that weren't as bad!

IMG_2209.jpg

IMG_2191.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Also I know you can't see a ton of my EQ here but I know that I look horrible. Feel free to make suggesstions if you want to. Lesson on Monday so well see how that goes!

UPDATE:

Mrs. Trainer rode Panda yesterday and the jerk was a perfect gentleman. I am happy but pissed at the same time because whenever I ride him and she isn't there he's an butthead. Anyways I have some pictures and videos of her riding him. I rode him after but there was no one to take pictures, etc.

She told me to put my hands lower on his withers and hold them there- don't move at all. So that he knows where they are? and figures stuff out on his own? I followed her somewhat but it felt super funny to ride so forward and have my hands pretty much braced on his withers.. :/has anyone used an exercise like this before?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ7r7Kd8ttw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DW1HXACqU0

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

Edited by hequestrian

I really feel for you and your situation, only my horse rears, not bucks. I just encourage you to keep working with him and seek help when it's a possibility. To me your equitation just looks very defensive, but I know how hard it is to not get defensive when they could explode at any minute. There have been a few rides where I had to get off and lunge because my horse was being so bad. Have you tried starting your rides lungeing in side reins? Many times that has made my rides go a little better. Let us know how the lesson goes!

WOW! your parents place looks gorgeous though! For me "going home" means 2000 acreas of trees, hills, mudd, cows, barbed wire and NO arena whatsoever!

To me your equitation just looks very defensive, but I know how hard it is to not get defensive when they could explode at any minute. Have you tried starting your rides lungeing in side reins? Many times that has made my rides go a little better. Let us know how the lesson goes!

WOW! your parents place looks gorgeous though! For me "going home" means 2000 acreas of trees, hills, mudd, cows, barbed wire and NO arena whatsoever!

dappledbay- I see that too when I look at the picture. I definitely feel it when I'm riding but if I'm not constantly on watch and he goes ballistic I'm off. Mrs. Trainer was supposed to come teach me today but we had rain and I couldn't it's stopped now but I can't bring myself to go out and ride. Riding that nervous gets me in knots. Physically haha. My mom saw the last ride where he was a total **** so I think that my saying I need to get lessons more regularly and/ or have Mrs. Trainer ride him more frequently has more meaning now.

crazyappy- It is a beautiful place and our ring is HUGE but I need some pals to keep me company and my parents don't want boarders. It stinks. If Panda was trustworthy I would still be apprehensive about riding alone so the fact that he's just outside of the "total loon" range is not so ideal. We were doing fantastic and when we moved back to my parents I started riding less (i had my tonsils removed) and when I started him back he started with all of these tantrums.

Lesson was rescheduled for tomorrow so hopefully I'll have something more positive to share tomorrow!

I don't really know what all you've done with him, but maybe some ground work? I'm not really a proponent of the Parelli system, but some of the games are beneficial when used correctly. To me, it sounds like he isn't 100% sure that you are the boss. I feel (I may be wrong) that if you took the time to establish who is the boss, it might make your rides go a lot better.

My favorite exercise from the Parelli system is the circle game. This is where you stand somewhere in the arena and get your horse walking. You don't move, even when your back is to him. Your goal and his job is to walk around you in a circle, no matter if you're looking at him or not. The moment you hear him stop, get after his butt HARD. A lunge whip might be helpful. It's okay if he trots on the line after you get after him. Bring him back down to a walk, praise him and then continue the circle exercise. He doesn't have to walk fast or march, he just has to walk. The moment he stops, get after him again. You want to look for him licking and chewing because that means he's really thinking about what he's doing and what you're asking him.

Once you're confident that he'll walk no matter how long you ask him to, try this at the trot. The minute he breaks to a walk, get after him. When you get after him, you want to be very intimidating/threatening because in this 'game' you're trying to establish who is the 'boss mare'.

Now, you only have about three seconds to get after him when he disobeys you, so you have to make sure you pay attention when he breaks from the gait you want. So in that three seconds, you have to make him think that he's about to get him butt whupped. Just remember that as soon as you've 'punished' him for breaking gait and he's back at the gait you want, you need to forget he broke the rule and go on as if it didn't happen. Does that make sense?

Also, I wouldn't do this at a canter unless you have a long line and what I've found, once your horse goes in the gait you ask for indefinitely, you've accomplished your mission and now both of you know who the boss mare is.

So, this totally went on longer than I intended, sorry! Panda is super cute and you are really lucky to have such a nice ring at home! I hope he behaves himself for you!

:)