TerrainAngel

Which Stallion Would You Choose?

For The 2012 Breeding Season  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which Stallion would you Choose for Sweets

So I have been looking at stallions for my mare Mtns Miss Dashin Doc aka Sweets and have narrowed a Field of 25 down to 4. My picks are DMNV Mountable and Desirio, my mother's picks are Hadtobenuts (who I also like) and Strong hope.

The stallions are all proven race horses with Strong hope being the slowest of the four and Hadtobenuts the fastest.

Their information can be found at stallionsearch.com but the short version can be found on all breed pedigree. The links to the stallions on all breed pedigree are provided below.

DMNV Mountable

Hadtobenuts

Desirio

Strong Hope

Please vote on the poll and let me know which one you would choose!

Can I also offer another consideration? Not that I am trying to highjack your thread. but for what your looking for and I am looking at the body types, you may want to look at this stud....ok its mine, but he may just have what your looking for, and he has a good head on him too.

His name is Howelling Corona.

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/howelling+corona

HONEYCUTTJULY2011ppp.jpg

KCM_3154-20c-2.jpg

KCM_3170-20c.jpg

KCM_3183-20c.jpg

KCM_3184halvorson.jpg

Edited by cmpsp1

If choosing from your list I would pick desirio, balanced and has nice lines, now if the TB lines were on the bottom side it would be a better influence on becoming a nice broodmare sire, But Dash for Cash is there to help with that, next would be hadtobenuts,nice looking horse nice bloodlines, but can be a bit of a handful to handle...from what I have seen of his foals. Nice choices you have put together, what do you plan to do with the foal out of this breeding?

I'd love to see a picture of your mare to see which one would go best for her build. IT does make a difference..

The reason I'm asking is , I prefer to look for stallions that throw themselves into their offspring, BUT are also similar in build to the mare that your wanting to breed. Get two different builds, you stand a chance of getting mixed fruit...instead of the Apple of your eye..

AD

I'd love to see a picture of your mare to see which one would go best for her build. IT does make a difference..

The reason I'm asking is , I prefer to look for stallions that throw themselves into their offspring, BUT are also similar in build to the mare that your wanting to breed. Get two different builds, you stand a chance of getting mixed fruit...instead of the Apple of your eye..

AD

I agree with AD 100 percent!!!! Photo of the mare please :smile: Breeding isn't always about the nices stallion its about what stallion complements your mare the best.

I'll have to set her up for a conformation shot. I don't have one lol! For all the pics of her I do have you'd think I'd have one of those!

Her name is Mtns Miss Dashin Doc you can catch her on all breed ped as well. Um... I'll post a few of what I do have of her.. I already know her neck is a bit short, so I'm looking for a longer neck on the stallion.

Here is some of what I do have...

254136_226631647349599_167492763263488_981014_3072957_n.jpg

254032_226631677349596_167492763263488_981015_6531415_n.jpg

Those are this years pictures. I have a confo shot of her when she was 3yrs old. She is 5 right now.

She is also a bit on the fat side, from no real riding and lots of grass lol! So when the heat isn't so bad I'll get a confo shot of her this weekend!

Cmpsp1- He is very nice looking! I really like that shoulder and neck on him. Thanks for the extra pics those are really hard to come by when looking at stallions! (Msg me I'd love to chat about him!)

I plan on actually using the foal for serious barrel racing, thats what my mare was bred for but because of an injury awhile back to her stiffles, she may not be able to compete. I've had her seeing the chiropractor and she is stiff in her right stiffle. Maybe this couple months off from training level riding has helped some.

Her full siblings are being pickup by barrel racers pretty fast. The lady who raced Sweet's 3/4 brother Dash Doc Tari who won 2006 AQHA Worlds - World Champion Sr Barrel Racing

2007 AQHA Worlds - World Champion Sr Barrel Racing on him, just bought Sweet's full blooded year older sister Libby aka Mtns Miss Doc.

Anyways Thanks everyone for your input. I'll get some confo shots on my mare soon!

Oh also You can check out more pics of her and such on our FB page. the Link is in my signature above the pics of the three horses.

Edited by TerrainAngel

Well after looking at your choices, I have to say that Jasper is the only one that I like that will be a good match...:happy0203:

1. He has a better speed index than the others.

2. His body style is very similar to your mares.

3. His hip is an improvement to your mare. Your mares is set slightly further back.

( With her stiffle problem, I'd put her on a low starch diet. Get her off the grass. You might see an inprovement):winking:

4. His neck and his shoulder will improve what your mare has.

5. His wither is higher to keep the saddle on. Your mare is short in this area.

6. Rear legs are very much the same on both

HADTOBENUTS would be my second choice.

he does have a nice shoulder and neck and his body style is real close to your mares.

His hip is the same as your mares and won't improve it,:( Jasper gives you this improvement. :flirt:

DESIRIO I love! :drool: But have a feeling with his bulk, his offspring might be like driving a tank around the barrels.You need more Porche then Cadilac. I'm afraid he is a Cadilac..

STRONG HOPE is nice , but he is all TB. Your mare is too quarter horse typed and you could end up with mixed fruit if you use him for your mare. :smilie:

I think DMNV's body style makes a better gelding and screams mixed fruit with jello! :sick: He looks like a weiner dog to me!:thud:

AD

Edited by Alaskandraft

AlaskanDraft- I love how you put things!

---------------------

Thanks everyone for your input, its all been very helpful. :smilie:

I never thought of the tank thing, that may very well be true lol.

I read Jasper the chat and he is blushing and said secretly to me.......I am looking for the right mare....I want to be a boy toy. LOL

You know when I looked for the right stallion to breed to, I needed a large hearted sire, Corona Cartel is 40,000 a breeding at the time. That was way out of my league, King Corona his full brother (Younger) looked more balanced, Bet the Angel his dam is very balanced but more TB, so King Corona was very correct, balanced, good looking, raced AAA as a yearling he sold for a half million, if you can pass that kind of look onto his offspring then in the sales they will get money....but the real money is in his daughters they should do it all! (future blue hens). those out of no where sires that make a name for themselves through their daughters.....like secretariate. : )

We should of raced Jaspers dam, but it was between her or another mare who looked like she had speed, she got her ROM her first time out and got shin bucked, kept her in Okla for 6 months bred her and brought her back here but she did not take, bred her the next year nothing. she is out in the field wirh her dam and Nebon Jaspers dam. we will breed her this next year, gave her 3 years off....I think that is fair...horse prices are down why add more to the market its struggling.

Edited by cmpsp1

i had to laugh at your post Cmpsp! its a tricky buisness breeding racers isnt it?! ive seen alot of amazing runners and they look like they are three different horses put together. im with you on not breeding because of the market. i have a Corona Cartel granddaughter by #1 freshmen sire Ivory James, these lines seem to be extremely smart and willing. my girl is always looking for that 'atta girl' i love it. it sounds from your thread that Jasper is the same way.

I've never really seen the business end of racing muchless the race horse breeding business. I mean I did tour farms on my trip to Kentucky but that was all Thoroughbred farms, though I suppose Racing Quarter horse farms may not be much different.

I'm used to buying young ones and then sticking the money into them for riding. Then I got into Rodeo and changed my ideas on horses and what I needed. Now I'd like to raise my own barrel racers.

I just love how Jasper looks! Sweet's Thinks he is handsome too. :winking:

Yes it is a tricky business, but these horses were meant to run....it is who they are, QH racing yes is very much about speed money and braging rights, to me its about bloodlines, its about the working man....not the rich man who has a shot at creating something great without all the money to buy the best. I can Identify with Sea Biscuit more then I can Bold Ruler if you know what I mean.. They are finding out more in QH racing that it is not all the sire line that has the speed, but the mares lines who carry a big portion of what speed gets passed on. DNA does not lie.

He has sych a lovely head doesnt he?

Yes he does. Once long ago I wanted to raise race horses but then I'm not anywhere close to any place I could learn about what it takes.

So in anycase I got out by Sweets today and had some good light so I quickly had my Aunt Debby come out and hold Sweet's for me so I could try my hand at getting some confo shots.

The first one she is all relaxed!

225763_253986894614074_167492763263488_1091263_2019695_n.jpg

Here is a more alert left side:

285268_253986927947404_167492763263488_1091264_5606113_n.jpg

Here is her right side:

282743_253986981280732_167492763263488_1091265_2433250_n.jpg

Then here is her rear:

206128_253986837947413_167492763263488_1091262_826312_n.jpg

Hope that gives you an idea of how she looks. She isn't as muscled up as she was in the Spring, she was getting a lot more riding then!

I just love my mare. She really loved the grooming and the time spent fussing over her.

I really like her. pretty pretty. Looking for a stallion who will improve her weak areas and strengthen more where she is strong should create a very very nice foal. I am sure you will make the right choice. I like the fact that your using the foal as your next barrel horse that is awesome!

Thanks! :happy0203:

Shes a real sweet heart. She always looks like a copper penny in the summer.

This is her in the summer as a 3yr old.

164119_184262588253172_167492763263488_669095_1263724_n.jpg

Its been a fav pic of mine for a long time. I did take the brand out of the picture just to see what it could've looked like if the ex. husband's father hadn't done it.

I really wanted to barrel race my mare but I was affraid her stiffle issues would end up getting worse. So far the Chiropractor says she is doing great. I'm taking her to the vet for a breeding soundness checkup and to take a look at the stiffles to see if there might be a scar tissue problem.

(on a side note I have been going to PT myself and found that the Deep heat treatment has done wonders on my hip. I wonder if my vet has the same type of equipment for horses. Sweets might benefit.)

Anyways her future as a brood mare for a few nice barrel horses for me is certain lol! I can't wait to see what the future holds on the foals. I'd love to have a couple foals of hers I could take to the PRCA or NBHA races and excell.

She is so pretty like a new copper penny. I can see what you like about her and I bet she is so kind. I have many shots of Jasper grazing, when he lived here, but not on the back sides of race tracks. That is a pretty lonely life, He is so much happier there at the Halvorsons Ranch. The track is hard. long hours sitting in a hotbox so workouts were looked forward to, as a way to let off steam.

I was going to get video of my boys movement, but decided to listen to the videographer who said the heat index in oklahoma is way into the 100's high humidity, that is dangerous for both man and beast. better to wait until Sept, more humane!

I could not agree more. I worry for anyone in a heatwave. It can be very dangerous for animals and the very young and not so young but young at heart folk.

Enjoy each moment with her, that very special one in our lives comes only once. we may have many equine loves, there is only one who got to the sweet spot of your heart.

For me Jasper is that one. I'm smitten.

They are finding out more in QH racing that it is not all the sire line that has the speed, but the mares lines who carry a big portion of what speed gets passed on. DNA does not lie

CMPSP; i agree 100%. but great breeders have always known this. :winking: