EricJohn

My Take On The "smokin Hot" Nascar Prayer,

40 years ago the toe headed stuffed shirt over educated religious conservatives were hrumphing at the liberal long haired hippy types living free and lovin life, today its the toe headed stuffed shirt over educated left wing liberals hrumphing at the religious conservatives NASCAR, God and America types praying free and loving Jesus.

I dunno, I'm an atheist liberal type and just thought it was exuberant and sort of funny. And actually, I think it's pretty awesome he included his smokin' hot wife :)

(on the other hand, I do scratch my head at thanking God for tires and motor oil, as I would think employees at the manufacturing plants had more to do with it, but whatever floats your boat! And I bet, if I was into church at all, that guy has fun services.)

Edited by goldentoes

I dunno, I'm an atheist liberal type and just thought it was exuberant and sort of funny. And actually, I think it's pretty awesome he included his smokin' hot wife :)

(on the other hand, I do scratch my head at thanking God for tires and motor oil, as I would think employees at the manufacturing plants had more to do with it, but whatever floats your boat! And I bet, if I was into church at all, that guy has fun services.)

Hey GT, long time no..........read/type. :confused0024:

Yeah, the way he explained it afterwards was that he was try to identify more with the nontraditional "in field crowd" at the track.

You know if that's his preaching style, more power to him.

I was more thinking of the transitional duality of how times have changed.

Of course if he would have made the same prayer 40 years ago I'm sure more Christian conservatives would have taken offense to it not being more traditional.

What wonerfuly dynamic society we live in. :yahoo:

My family is Catholic, with differences between all family members concerning just *how* Catholic they are.

At a family wedding reception a few years ago, I was part of the table where my Aunt was complaining about the way my Uncle (a large corporate CEO or CFO) likes to say grace at family dinnertime.

She is offended when my Uncle blesses their Maker, their meal and their mailbox. I *love* how my Uncle keeps it fun/real AND entertaining to keep his children's interest. So, while I am sure my Aunt would *detest* the Smokin Hot Prayer, I can easily see my Uncle embracing it.

Long live the humor of the Smokin Hot Prayer!

I'm curious to hear what the over-educated liberal stuffed shirts have to say about this? I'm genuinely curious; I haven't seen much commentary on this.

I think the prayer sounds like a parody of itself, and it seems the offensive bit is that his wife can only be included if she's hot, which is more reflective of greater cultural issues than dramatically offensive in and of itself. I just can't summon the feminist ire to care this time.

I'm curious to hear what the over-educated liberal stuffed shirts have to say about this? I'm genuinely curious; I haven't seen much commentary on this.

I think the prayer sounds like a parody of itself, and it seems the offensive bit is that his wife can only be included if she's hot, which is more reflective of greater cultural issues than dramatically offensive in and of itself. I just can't summon the feminist ire to care this time.

I think I just did.

As far as the "smokin hot wife" comment goes, I don't know that he uses the same cutlural stereotypes consistant with the idea of "smokin hot" fashion models.

He could just be complimenting his wife in a way that identifies with his audiance.

I suppose he could have stuffed his shirt up, hrumphed and muttered,

"and I thank God for my really, really pretty wife that, as a fat headed backwoods, hairy backed, knuckle draggin, male chauvinist pig, I am undeserving of in eyes of feminists every where. Boogity, boogity, boogity Amen."

:P

EDT: as long as whe was not offended, I don't know that it wuold matter to her if anyone else was. As well it shouldn't. He certainly didn't call her his "smokin hot b!tch or 'ho"

Edited by EricJohn

As long as God thought it was funny..... :blink:

Only if God ahs a sense of humor.

I think from now on I will end every prayer I utter with, "boogity, boogity, boogity, Amen." And see if any bad charma befalls me. :winking:

I think I just did.

So yeah I'm really sensitive about social issues lololol HOW LAME. But. I'm really genuinely curious about the stuffed-shirt liberals you were referring to in your original post. Where have you been hearing these opinions? I'm not trying to discredit their existence, I just want to know.

As far as the "smokin hot wife" comment goes, I don't know that he uses the same cutlural stereotypes consistant with the idea of "smokin hot" fashion models.

Maybe I wasn't clear?

It has nothing to do with fashion. (In fact, there are theories that fashion is trivialized as silly and frivolous despite often being serious art because it's associated with women and femininity.) Fashion models really aren't popular among men.

It's about women being valued as attractive beings rather than as people with identities. Culturally, we (women too!) reduce women to what they look like and don't value them if they're not attractive. It's easy to ignore, but it's definitely there-- studies where attractive people are favored in business situations, women in movies as (invariably attractive) love interests, tokens, and eye candy (have you heard of the Bechdel test? It's so easy, and it's incredible how many films don't pass), Tina Fey becoming SNL famous as soon as she loses weight and gets hot, the woman who was fired for having gray hair. I watched a show last night where one judge, regarding a fabulously talented opera singer, prefaced every comment about her singing with "you're so beautiful, you're gorgeous" (and this happened a few times). And she was! But why were her looks more important, every time, than her talent?

It's everywhere. Our society has issues with women, and a lot of it is appearance-related.

He could just be complimenting his wife in a way that identifies with his audiance.

Then it would be problematic that his audience considers "smoking hot" to be interchangeable with "good," at least where wives are concerned.

I suppose he could have stuffed his shirt up, hrumphed and muttered,

"and I thank God for my really, really pretty wife that, as a fat headed backwoods, hairy backed, knuckle draggin, male chauvinist pig, I am undeserving of in eyes of feminists every where. Boogity, boogity, boogity Amen."

:P

You don't understand feminism.

EDT: as long as whe was not offended, I don't know that it wuold matter to her if anyone else was. As well it shouldn't. He certainly didn't call her his "smokin hot b!tch or 'ho"

Again: Even I have trouble caring about this. What he said reflects something problematic in our society, which I've assumed is the part offending people, but as an individual... I don't care about this guy. Whatever, he probably meant well, and you're right, his wife probably doesn't care! It's sweet that he's paying tribute to her publicly, especially because his wife probably isn't conventionally "smokin'" and he's really saying "I find you WILDLY ATTRACTIVE, lady-who-I-love!"

One last time: this is more reflective of greater cultural issues than dramatically offensive in and of itself, and I don't really care. That doesn't mean it's not worth understanding what some people might find problematic.

(P.S. Did someone say

?!)

I thought it was rather lovely.

First of all, the guy knew his audience.

Nextly, he acknowledge his wife (who of us would not love it if our husbands said we were smoking' hot and thanked God for us?)

Lastly, he did say the safety prayer and such.

I'm not religious at all. So take my thoughts with a grain of salt. But he made me want to say Amen!

No, BuddyRoo....boogity boogity boogity AMEN!!!! :happy0203:

I liked it too, and having seen a picture of his wife, I now have a greater appreciation for this fella. He knows where his bread is buttered!

So yeah I'm really sensitive about social issues lololol HOW LAME. But. I'm really genuinely curious about the stuffed-shirt liberals you were referring to in your original post. Where have you been hearing these opinions? I'm not trying to discredit their existence, I just want to know.

Maybe I wasn't clear?

It has nothing to do with fashion. (In fact, there are theories that fashion is trivialized as silly and frivolous despite often being serious art because it's associated with women and femininity.) Fashion models really aren't popular among men.

It's about women being valued as attractive beings rather than as people with identities. Culturally, we (women too!) reduce women to what they look like and don't value them if they're not attractive. It's easy to ignore, but it's definitely there-- studies where attractive people are favored in business situations, women in movies as (invariably attractive) love interests, tokens, and eye candy (have you heard of the Bechdel test? It's so easy, and it's incredible how many films don't pass), Tina Fey becoming SNL famous as soon as she loses weight and gets hot, the woman who was fired for having gray hair. I watched a show last night where one judge, regarding a fabulously talented opera singer, prefaced every comment about her singing with "you're so beautiful, you're gorgeous" (and this happened a few times). And she was! But why were her looks more important, every time, than her talent?

It's everywhere. Our society has issues with women, and a lot of it is appearance-related.

Then it would be problematic that his audience considers "smoking hot" to be interchangeable with "good," at least where wives are concerned.

You don't understand feminism.

Again: Even I have trouble caring about this. What he said reflects something problematic in our society, which I've assumed is the part offending people, but as an individual... I don't care about this guy. Whatever, he probably meant well, and you're right, his wife probably doesn't care! It's sweet that he's paying tribute to her publicly, especially because his wife probably isn't conventionally "smokin'" and he's really saying "I find you WILDLY ATTRACTIVE, lady-who-I-love!"

One last time: this is more reflective of greater cultural issues than dramatically offensive in and of itself, and I don't really care. That doesn't mean it's not worth understanding what some people might find problematic.

(P.S. Did someone say

?!)

Your right. When I look at the gender of some of the richest, most repsected and influential people in American society, I don't understand what the problem is.

The original post was an observation in the duality of our society and the shift that has taken place over the past few decades and apparent reverse in the staus quo and who challenges it.

Edited by EricJohn

Actually EricJohn, I have sort of the same question. Who exactly has been complaining or offended, because I haven't heard anything about this except from a couple people who were amused or confused by it, but nobody complaining.

It does bring up some issues to chat about, like the feminist angle above, but I've not seen or heard anybody acting offended by it? I've only seen it mentioned on one atheist blog, and his take on it was more amusement than anything, so I'm just sort of curious who's been talking about it.

I'm with Finnigan. What a sermon!

No gay bashing, no politics, no Koran burning, no pleas to send money.

This is pure joyful Christianity at its best. This kind of Christianity could save the world.

:-)

Actually EricJohn, I have sort of the same question. Who exactly has been complaining or offended, because I haven't heard anything about this except from a couple people who were amused or confused by it, but nobody complaining.

It does bring up some issues to chat about, like the feminist angle above, but I've not seen or heard anybody acting offended by it? I've only seen it mentioned on one atheist blog, and his take on it was more amusement than anything, so I'm just sort of curious who's been talking about it.

Yeah, maybe I'm just assuming that people would react the way they usually do. I'm probably wrong though. I actully saw it first on the Tosh.0 web site. So guess the vast majority of comments I read on their could be dismissed as UN-educated.

God has a sense of humor.

Yes. Humans inhabit the planet, right?

If it was on Tosh, it was because they thought it was funny, not because they were offended.... I dunno, don't consider that a source for anything but people who like to mock stuff, heh.

Yeah "offended" would not be the right term for what the original post was about.

With "hrumphed", the conveyance being more of having contempt or apathy, than being offended.

I think it generated the feeling my wife had for me when we were engaged in a heated discussion not long ago, her exact words were, "You'r too ignorant to be insulted"

Or like my grandfather used to say about boxers who would inadvertantly win even though the other guy beat them up, "He's to dumb to know he's getting hit."

I want to be honest and preface my post with the honest truth. I do not like to admit it, but I am prejudiced. I do not care for Nascar-never have liked it. I also admit, even with proof I still don't think of the average nascar fan as well educated or the most moral of persons. I realize this is a very stereotypical way of thinking, but when I think nascar, I automatically think of a beerdrinking loser that may not go out and try to cheat on his wife, but if the opportunity came up would jump on it, if you will forgive the pun. I admit this is very stereotypical and I hate people that disparage entire groups of people, but I have my faults and I just don't get nascar or its legions of fans. I even know plenty of women that are fans and yet my thinking remains the same. I know plenty of educated men that are fans and I don't think they would cheat on their wives and one doesn't even drink beer, but for some reason the ick factor remains in my mind. I am suited up, but I just thought I would tell you that my opinion does not come from a neutral view of the "sport" to start with, so take it with a grain and lets just try to get along. :winking:

I never really considered myself a femininst, but I just didn't think it was what I would call appropriate. Just like the ad posted here by someone for (the navy?) against physical attacks. I guess I am more conservative than I like to believe. I have gone to a church that was a lot fun and I have gone to more somber churches that "go by the book" so to speak with the sermons. I liked both, however I just could not take this guy seriously. The church I went to that had a fun minister was great and I went away with a great feeling and felt like I had been to church. Which was great. I don't know how to really convey what I feel when I hear him saying the phrase "smoking hot" in a prayer, but it wasn't positive. I guess I just didn't really think of it as being a "real" prayer, more of an entertainment piece than an actual prayer. Just my opinion.

ETA: I do not like how sexualized everything in our society has become. I guess that it is what it is, but it is just yucky at times. Hmmm, our standing in the world keeps becoming more and more of a joke- (reference to our kids performance on standardized tests compared to other countries, our politicians- we elect 'em so take responsibility for it, and our justice system). So our society seems to be on a downward trend and yet studies conclude that sexual content our society is exposed to and the sexualization of our youth is occuring at younger and younger ages..... something to consider. I am not saying that is the cause but something to ponder.

ETA: I don't watch foreign tv or read their news/mags so I can't really offer any insight on other countries and the sexualization of their youth. Just wanted to be honest and say I don't know everything.

Also, I don't think that it is a sin to be attractive or to be noticed for it, but I guess after all that typing I am trying to say that I don't feel prayers should be sexualized. And he didn't say his beautiful wife, he used a more sexualized term, imo. Once he sexualized the prayer he trivialized it to me.

However this is why I love my country. I don't like nascar and probably never will, but hey I understand that other people do and that is okay. They may not like things I like and that is okay. We have our rights. I do admit I would like to shake my preconcieved ideas of the "sport" and its fans, but that is difficult. And yes, I went to a race once, someone tried to convince me of its charms. It didn't work the way they thought it would. Within a few minutes of being there some creep commented on my girly parts and said I should have worn less clothing- that is the nice version of what was said. :twitch:

Edited by lmm1975

And yes, I went to a race once, someone tried to convince me of its charms. It didn't work the way they thought it would. Within a few minutes of being there some creep commented on my girly parts and said I should have worn less clothing- that is the nice version of what was said.

Sorry you had a bad experiance.

I did catch the Fox and Friends interview with this guy and he mentioned that he was trying to identify with his "audiance" as it were.

His end in mind was to do just what he did and bring attention to his prayer and so maybe reach a few of the people of whom you had an experiance with that could stand a bit of morality and temperance interjected into their life.

I will add that although the connotation of "smokin hot" could be taken as sexual, I think that is left up to the mind of the interpreter.

When Jim Carey's character in The Mask exclaimed, "SSSSSSmmmmoookin!" it had a different connotation.

I suppose if you added "hot" to it, one could interpret it as haveing a sexual connotation.

I think he used it as a hook, as with much of his prayer, to indentify with the people he was trying to reach.

So there again, if he had used some less intriguing adjectives to compliment his wife, I'm sure it would not have accomplished his goal of catching their attention and they may would have concidered it another lame a$$ prayer they had to endure before the race started.

I just finished reading a story to abby about a lost sheep that jesus went to find. Basically the story is related to what you are saying in your last post. It was more important to find the "lost" sheep than to sit around watching the 99 that were contentendly eating in the field. I get your point, but it still doesn't seem appropriate. I am a stick in the mud.

Yep, the guy that wanted me to show a little of what I have was to say the least gross and disgusting. I personally wish I didn't lump everyone that watches into the same category as him, but he wasn't the only one there making those comments.

I will say this for nascar though. The armed services does find and recruit a lot of people into our different branches of service through their races and the days that lead up to the race. They allow them an avenue to set up booths and to "advertise" if you will the benefits of serving our country. So, I admit that is one very positive aspect of it.

I just wish they could train the nascar loving fan out of them :winking: