dinaschultz

Leather Saddle Stains On Fits Breeches

I have a pair of light-colored FITS full-seat breeches that I love, love, love. But my brown jump saddle has left stains on them wherever I sweat and touch the saddle. In other words, the crotch, butt and inner thighs.

The leather is perforated deerskin, and the fabric is (from their website) strong, abrasion resistant microfibre nylon. Both have the reddish-brown stains.

I have washed the breeches every time according to instructions, using delicate cycle and Leather Therapy Laundry Wash and Laundry Rinse.

So question 1: Any suggestions on how to remove the stains? I contacted F.I.T.S., and they were very nice and quick to reply, but ultimately couldn't help. They said they hadn't had any other reports of this problem.

And question 2: Any suggestions on how to prevent additional staining from this saddle? Kind of makes me look like I pooped myself. :ashamed0002: And since there are no stains from my black dressage saddle, I tend to agree that the problem is more saddle than breeches.

Tandy has a product for sealing the leather that will fix the saddle.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/search/site+search+results.aspx?sectionpath=3&processor=content&p_keyword=sealer

For the breeches, you might just have to finish what your saddle started. And use a leather dye in a matching color to make them a solid brown.

Thanks Dondie! I'll purchase some of the sealer and give it a try. Had not thought of dyeing the breeches, but that's not a bad idea. I'm not married to the color--especially in its current condition.

Did the company say if any products like Oxyclean would be safe on the fabric? I would try those or the Tide sticks and so forth.

But I would def be sealing that saddle too. I know when my western saddle was new it stained a few pair of lighter jeans but I was young and it didn't bother me since I was still growing.

It does sound like your saddle was never sealed after oiling, so I'd do that or you'll continue to have the problem.

As far as the breeches go - do this at your own risk as it's NOT recommended. However, I managed to spill red gatorade all of one my pairs of FITS. I soaked them in shout, even the deerskin. Left it overnight. Then wash the LT Laundry and Rinse. They came out like new and butter soft. I was afraid the SHOUT would kill the deerskin, but it didn't, so that'd be what I would try.

HOWEVER, if it is darkening oil that's leached out of your saddle, there's every chance you've just oiled your breeches darker and that it won't work. It might be worth a try though!

For all kinds of stains on breeches, saddle pads,blankets, etc. I find that the powerhouse cleaning formula found in Leather Therapy Saddle Pad & Blanket Wash works great. A lot of the staining you're trying to remove is exactly what happens to a saddle pad. And this formula is safe for all fabrics -- even leather patches on your FITS breeches. After soaking, I would then re-wash in Leather Laundry Solution and get some more emollients back into the leather with Laundry Rinse & Dressing.

We even experimented with red wine on a white woolen blanket -- talk about a hard stain to remove! But, after a few hours the cleaning solution broke down the stain very effectively.

As far as the saddle "bleeding" goes, you might want to try Leather Therapy FINISH to help set those dyes. Several saddle manufacturers use this product when combining different color leathers on a saddle to help prevent the dyes from running.

Anna