Sign in to follow this  
LindseyWalczak

Help Me Choose A Bit!

Hey all,

I'm getting an OTTB, he's getting vet checked on Friday and as long as he passes, he's mine! The guy i'm getting him from hasn't had him very long and was only on him twice before I rode him. The bit he's been riding him with is a low port loose cheek (http://www.statelinetack.com/item/at-low-port-loose-cheek-low-port-western-bit-5in/SLT735563/). I bought one of these to use on him, the only problem is this is a western bit. I'd like to get an english equivalent since I may be showing him as early as the end of August, and definitely will be showing him at some point, so I can't be showing in a western bit. It looke like the only bits that look like that one (just english) are Myler bits. I just don't want to spend $100 on a bit and it not be what I was looking for, so I'd like your opinions on what type of english bit you think would be a good equivalent to the western one.

thanks!

You probably aren't going to find a perfect equivalent.

How much retraining does this horse have? Is the guy you're getting him from the guy who got him off the track and he's only ridden him twice?

If so, I would scratch the idea of showing as soon as the end of August, for the horse's sake.

And to answer the original question, I would try him in an eggbutt snaffle or three piece eggbutt snaffle and start slow with lots of dressagey basics and teaching him how to carry himself properly.

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it. I worked with an ottb in Florida for a while, wasn't my horse, but I was really the only one working with her. But, that's the only prior experience I have with an ottb and I've been doing a lot more reading on them and trust me, this horse is not at all what you'd expect. I was very surprised; he is so quiet, listens extremely well, and knows quite a bit. Yes, he will need some retraining, but just riding him for 30 minutes he was moving nicely and on the bit. He actually has different speeds, jog, trot, lope, canter. Again, I don't know a lot about ottb's and this is only the 3rd one I've ever ridden, but he rides like a dream, and his last race was about a month ago. I think it really depends on him; of course if I feel he surely isn't ready I won't push him. :)

Thanks for the bit advice as well :)

A good eggbutt snaffle or dee ring snaffle. You will be spending more time training your OTTB to give to the bit. I've had two that I retrained. It takes time and patience, so don't expect to show this season. If possible, find a riding instructor to give you lessons on him. Good luck! I miss my OTTB's!

Congratulations on your new horse!! You must be excited. :) Go to a tack store and ask an employee and I really don't know what else to say but I hope you have a great time showing and get a great bit for your horse!!

Any questions? Just ask!

Have fun and be safe!

NWOhio Cowgirl:)