indybarrelracer

Turkey Ticks, Turkey Mites, Anyone With Solutions

Does anyone have solutions for turkey ticks that cause horses to get sores on their legs and further up their legs if you ride thru high weeds or grass? Does anyone have soultions. I am

posting this so I can put it on our Saddle Club website for members to find solutions that work. We have only had them here in Henryville, IN for about 3 - 4 years. Many horse people do not know what they are or what to do for them. I use Parahya fly spray heavy on their legs when we ride and put Flea and tick shampoo on our horses when we return from a ride to help kill them if we pick nay up. Frontline also works - but expensive to use. Rinsing in Bleach/water also helps.

They really are chiggers, the larvae of the harvest mite. After a ride I wipe my horses legs with Wipe or Repel. It's important to rub it in against the hair. If the case is bad enough to where the horse is miserable with itching, I give him a half tube of Ivermectin paste. Try to avoid tall weedy or grassy areas this time of year....I know that's hard to do.

They really are chiggers, the larvae of the harvest mite. After a ride I wipe my horses legs with Wipe or Repel. It's important to rub it in against the hair. If the case is bad enough to where the horse is miserable with itching, I give him a half tube of Ivermectin paste. Try to avoid tall weedy or grassy areas this time of year....I know that's hard to do.

They are called "Ixodes Scapularis" They are very, very small ticks. There are 3 stages of them. They are sometimes called Deer Ticks.

We ran into millions of these when we rode in central IL last year. I learned that a good dusting before and after of Sevin garden dust will work. (It is also labeled for dogs).The ivermectin is a good idea after the fact but it will take a while to work. I have used Deet spray but the Sevin worked better. They are nasty little things. My friend's horse's legs crusted over and started weeping. The horse was just miserable. It took quite a while to heal.

I learned that a good dusting before and after of Sevin garden dust will work. (It is also labeled for dogs)

I was going to suggest Sevin too. A while back, all the animals on my place got infested with really tiny "seed fleas"--my dogs and horses had then in their ears, my chickens had them crawling all over and on their beaks. My vet recommended dusting my entire place, ground included, with 5% Sevin dust (found in garden supplies), and dusting "a third of the animal every third day." The fleas were gone within a week. I didn't eat the chickens' eggs for six weeks afterwards.

Wear gloves and a dust mask when applying it.