Sign in to follow this  
saudimack

Hay Prices

What are hay prices in your area? Hay is super expensive here this year. Going rate is $9/10 a bale.. or $200/ton is on the cheaper end. :thud:

How about you?

I sold the majority of my hay for $3.00 each (60 lb small bales in the field) grass alfalfa mix. I just cut the second cutting and will have that baled by a neighbor into round bales and they will be $55.00 each.

I'm in western SD

$11+ bale of coastal and rising. I have no idea what a ton would be, being just a tiny little farm with a few goats and a couple ponies, I've never had to buy a huge load. I wish I had somewhere to store hay, because I have this horrible feeling, come winter there's won't BE any hay to buy.

:surrender:

Our hay for fescue free 80lb square is $4 and for hay with fescue in it same size is $2. I get lower quality 6ftx6ft round bales for the mini's and goat are $15. I feel very lucky to live where I do. The quality isn't great for my horse so I have to get good grain for her, but it is well worth it.

wow, some of you in Texas need to get together and buy a semi load, we've got a lot of hay in the Pacific Northwest this year. Of course, with fuel costs, I wonder if that would make sense. :( I hope you get some relief from the drought soon, I was down there in May and I've never seen anything like it.

I'm going to get some meadow grass hay for $80 a ton, and grass/alfalfa mix for $135/ton. I could possibly get it cheaper if I got the big bales, but the small bales are so much easier to feed!

Hay is so expensive in TX because it is being shipped in from other states. In this area a lot is coming in from Louisiana. And I've heard of some coming in from Wisconsin. I'm seeing several 2 and 3 truck convoys of 18 wheelers w/ each truck carrying 20 to 36 round bales each day. It's only going to get more expensive because they say this draught is going to continue into next year. It started last year. Just drive down the highways and all you see are dead trees everywhere and brown grass. It's really sad.

I bought second crop grass mix yesterday for $2.50 a bale, bales were light less than 40 lbs. a piece. Not cheap. Good dairy quality alfalfa hay is running about $150.00-200.00 a ton. Round bales of mixed hay are going for $20-40.00 a piece. Depending on size & quality of hay. PD

We just bought a lot of small bales of striped alfalfa for $10.50 per bale. Grass hay is non-existant now but FIL bought some (the last in the area apparently) for $150.00 per bale, small round bales (4 X 5?) about 700lbs each of mediocre hay.

We are set for the winter at least but it was expensive and an expense that we are not used to since we don't usually have to feed the majority of our equines. So glad that we have reduced the herd from 70+ to less than 30!

I gave basically twice as much as I did last year for round bales. I still need about 7 round bales but can't find anyone around northern Oklahoma that has hay and the stuff coming in on trucks they want you to buy the whole truck. I've tried contacting people to see if someone wants to go in on a truck load but so far no luck... Even tried selling my two horses and no ones buying because of the lack of hay and grass.

wow, some of you in Texas need to get together and buy a semi load, we've got a lot of hay in the Pacific Northwest this year. Of course, with fuel costs, I wonder if that would make sense. :( I hope you get some relief from the drought soon, I was down there in May and I've never seen anything like it.

I'm going to get some meadow grass hay for $80 a ton, and grass/alfalfa mix for $135/ton. I could possibly get it cheaper if I got the big bales, but the small bales are so much easier to feed!

Where are you getting your hay? We need to start looking, just for one horse and 3 sheep...but we need pretty decent hay for our sheep because we plan to lamb them and then milk them.

I'm paying $30 for 600# grass/alfalfa round bales. About 75%/25%. Then I am paying 140 a ton, 65 pound bales, that would come up too 4.50 a bale, 31 bales to a ton. All these prices are the hay guy storing my hay and delivering when ever I call.

Northwest Louisiana...Major drought here and I usually pay $4.50 a bale for heavy square bales. Thsi year I paid $10 a bale and it rose the other day to $12 a bale. I have to have 120 bales. :shocked: My barn is full though and should take me through winter, If we have a winter. :confused0024:

Depends where you buy up here. Paying $8 a bale for grass mix. Feed stores run from about $11-14 a bale, and thats square bales

I paid $130/ton for a nice grass/alfalfa mix, 3x3 mid-sized bales.

I just saw an ad for someone south of me with 3x3 bales of grass hay, about 200-300 ton, for $120/ton.

Hay prices here are really reasonable, with a some being pretty high. I paid $120 a ton for some second cutting alfalfa, dairy quality, and have seen lots of cheaper mixed grass hay. If you had some way of getting enough hay on a vehicle, it would be worth coming here from the basin, Saudimack. Send me a private message if you'd like to pursue it, and I'll find some for you. I talked to one grower here, and he sold most of his 2nd cut to a dairy on the coast for $190.00 a ton in 4X4 bales.

Hay is quite plentiful here in northern MN. It was just hard for the farmers to get it in, with all the rain this summer.

I paid $6.00 for a 65 lb square bale. That's roughly $185 a ton, if I did the math right. But that's delivered, too.

I love my hay guy! I buy 850# round bales (1st cutting alfalfa, and 2nd cutting grass) for $25. I also get squares that weigh 90#, 2nd cutting grass/Alfalfa mix, and 2nd cutting alfalfa for $2 a bale. These bales I can move about 10 feet before my arm (where I dislocated my elbow, and fractured my ulna) starts to feel a lot of pressure. I'm getting there though!

This is in Michigan.....

Those of you in the southeast, check out Florida for peanut hay. It is nutritionally very similar to alfalfa, and at least $3 cheaper per bale, and the horses will kill you for it.

We sold our clover/orchard second cutting for $3/bale out of the field last month. The second cutting of alfalfa sold for $6/bale. Wish we would have kept that cause we've been lacking rain since and only got 12 bales off that 6 acre field for 3rd cutting. Have one last field to cut and right now are about 100 square bales shy of what we had last year.