Sign in to follow this  
daydreambeliever

Advice On Buying A Horse

I may be buying a horse or two and have questions about how I can prevent being stuck with a horse who turns out to have behavior issues or significant lameness. I would intend to bring the most knowledgeable horse person I know to try out a horse and an excellent leg and feet veterinarian before any money changed hands. However, what could I do to ensure that I could return a horse if it looks like it had been tranquilized or given a big dose of bute before we came to see it and problems became evident within a couple of weeks of it being at my place? I've been badly burned once and would prefer to forgo horse ownership than to have another bad sale.

All you can do is a PPE(pre purchase exam) by a vet of your choice. But honestly I've never seen a horse with a return policy and sometimes you get stuck with crap.

I know my parents once bought a horse with a 30 day trial period. If for any reason after the 30 days they could return it for a full refund. But with the market being so horrid right now most people won't do that at all.

I may be buying a horse or two and have questions about how I can prevent being stuck with a horse who turns out to have behavior issues or significant lameness. I would intend to bring the most knowledgeable horse person I know to try out a horse and an excellent leg and feet veterinarian before any money changed hands. However, what could I do to ensure that I could return a horse if it looks like it had been tranquilized or given a big dose of bute before we came to see it and problems became evident within a couple of weeks of it being at my place? I've been badly burned once and would prefer to forgo horse ownership than to have another bad sale.

You can bring an army of "experts" with you for an equine inspection but once you've paid your money the horse is yours.

If you've been the victim of a fraud then you can sue to rescind the contract or for money damages. During the time of the suit you have the duty to properly husband the horse.

A return period might be negotiated if the seller were agreeable. Personally, as a seller, I woudln't. Once a horse leaves my close I lose my control over it's health, safety, and welfare. If I knew and respected and trusted a buyer I would let a horse go for an extended trial (a week or two). The buyer would be fully responsible for the value of the horse and it's transport, out and (if necessary) in.

Your best protection is deal with honorable sellers. They do exist. There is no "magic protocol" you can invoke to protect yourself against every possible bit of bad luck or chicanery.

Get a good vet to do a PPE. Verify the seller's bona fides. Have a knowledgeable person ride and evaluate the horse (if you feel inadequate to make a good judgement). Then make a decision.

G.