Sign in to follow this  
smokeslastspot

What Does Your Brand Look Like?

Looking for ideas. I have been wanting to freeze brand my horses for years but can never decide on what I want my brand to look like. Ive seen some that are just block letters and some that are pictures. My mom and I watch master chef and she thinks something like the logo they have on there would be a cool brand. It's an M and the end of the m goes up and curls around the whole letter in a swirl.

The guy who did mine did a really great job. I have video of it being done, if you want to see. It looks great on my bay and on my light chesnut haflingerish pony.

I recommend that you talk with your state brand inspector and take a look at your state's Brand Book. Lots of ideas to be found in that, plus you'll need to research anyway to make sure no one already has the brand you want to use.

I designed my brand and because I have pinto horses I wanted something that would look like an Indian had marked the horse with war paint. :grin: I chose symbols, because obviously letters and numbers wouldn't do. I lived in Texas at the time, but knew we'd be moving to Colorado, so I checked with the Colorado Brand Book for regulations on what their regulations were on registering brands, in case I choose to register it in Colorado also. The regulations stated that brands using symbols other than what they consider "standard" had to be preceded or under a symbol from their standard symbol list.

I wanted to use a feather as part of my brand, but that was not on the Colorado list of accepted symbols, so I put a crescent moon (which was on their list) in front of the feather. Here's the finished result, 20 days after branding:

DSCN1058.jpg

And just so you'll get an idea of the size of the brand:

DSCN1196.jpg

ETA: Meant to preview and hit reply instead. LOL

I sent my design off to a company that makes branding irons for both hot brands and freeze brands. If you'd like that info, let me know. When the branding iron arrived, we had a vet do the branding so our horses could be sedated during the process. Some people don't bother with that, but I wanted to ensure the horse would stand quietly so we'd get a clean brand.

Edited by iluvspots