Sign in to follow this  
spacytracy

Rawhide....whats The Deal?

I have never really given my dogs rawhide, because I've read it can be dangerous.

We had a doggie house guest whose owner gave him a long rolled rawhide to gnaw on. When he left, my dog started in on it, and from my observation, she gnawed it the right way, little pieces. Once it got down to like 3", I chucked it.

Do people give their dogs rawhide, or is this just common doggie knowledge NOT to?

It was nice having something around that wasn't gone in 2 seconds, like pigs ears, or bully sticks.

Right now she has a cow hoof that will last a bit from what I can tell.

I am tempted to get the bones but I don't want it stinking and staining up the house.

If anyone else has suggestions for good chew stuff, please let me know!

A lot of low quality rawhide is made with plastic now, isn't it?

I never give rawhide. It's just...nasty, and it gets all soggy and it stinks. Yuck.

I like a good raw bone for chewing. Also messy and stinky....but my dogs don't do a lot of chewing on things randomly anyways, so their need for chewing is satisfied by their raw portion of dinner.

Everything you can give your pet comes with a risk really, just up to you to measure that risk vs reward

When I was little, our dogs always got the big rawhide bones as treats-and they would last a while unless one was a very agressive chewer. I have 3 dogs, a pureblood hound mutt(my mindless boarder swears he is a purebred something so this is what everyone calls him now) who likes to gnaw on bones but is not a crazy chewer, a 2.5 year old springer spaniel who loves to chew, and a 4 year old blue heeler who likes to gnaw but isn't a crazy chewer.

Well, I've stopped buying rawhides from Petsmart because even the big ones(like a foot long I think)are gone in 2 days if I am lucky. All 3 dogs! The spaniel's will be gone faster than the other 2, but really?! Something is not right!

So now I buy the cow hooves or just go to the meat department and get frozen soup bones. The dogs LOVE those, and of course they last. I have not noticed the cow hooves stinking up the house, but they usually make it outside before too long anyway so I also don't really worry about it.

Just watch out with the cow hooves, my lab was able to get chunks off them. I'm talking inch across chunks and they would not digest so he would throw them up. Vet recommended that I stop giving them to him. He only gets bully sticks which don't last him long.

Being a vet tech for three years, I have seen lots of diarrhea and even blockages caused by rawhides. Fortunately I've never seen a chunk lodged into a dog's throat, but that can happen too. Some dogs can digest them better than others, but why take the risk?

I'm pretty sure Pigs Ears give dogs pancreatitis. At least that's what I've heard. I don't give my dog anything but Greenies and Busy bones for his teeth. Sometimes I get him the ocassional real bone, but its really rare and they stay out side

We jsut got Tonks a huge knuckle bone at TSC. It's her first one. She loves it! She only licked it for a few days but now she's figured out how to chew on it. We only let her have it for a few hours at a time, but so far she hasn't broken any pieces off of it.

She can eat a rawhide so fast that we just don't give them to her anymore.

I do give my dog rawhides. However, I throw them away when the pieces get small. That said, she doesn't chew too aggressively so the rawhide often takes weeks before it even looks slightly chewed (she really only likes to chew for a little while before a nap or before bed at night). She does like breaking them apart and throwing the pieces around more then she likes eating them.

She also likes cow hooves--especially new hooves--after a few weeks, she'll ignore the hooves until she gets a new one.

All that said, my dog isn't a huge fan of soup bones. Once she cleans it out (if she'll even bother with that--sometimes she'll ignore them completely), she wants nothing to do with it (even stuffed with good stuff).

Fortunately I've never seen a chunk lodged into a dog's throat, but that can happen too.

That happened to my dog. It was terrifying.

One of the rescues I worked with also recommended making sure rawhides are made in the U.S. because those from other countries could have additives and so on.

I give a Kong or a "petrified" bones; I think they're called sterilized bones.

Like Epona, the only bones my dogs get are raw bones. I have smaller dogs so pork ribs are a good workout for them.

Cheap rawhide is dangerous and I wouldn't risk it. They do make 100% BEEFhide now which is digestible. They're more pricey though. Another great chew that lasts FOREVER for my dogs is deer or elk antlers. My dogs haven't been able to knaw more than an inch or two off one in months. They're my favorite for long-term chews, plus great for teeth! :)

Edited by Foxy-Lady

The problem with rawhide is that it isn't digestable. It's like swallowing chewing gum, just sits in their stomache and can cause blockages. I no longer feed them to my dogs as I don't want to take that chance of a blockage, pretty dang expensive to get taken care of =/

Bully sticks are good. The darker and thicker they are, the longer they lasted.