Sign in to follow this  
COcowgirl11

Ideas Of His Breed?

We were not told what breed any of the horses we have, except our Appaloosa, and I am not really educated in telling breeds. Any ideas or suggestions on what he might be? Thanks!

post-58441-0-47251800-1314718907_thumb.jpg

How old is he?

Wondering if maybe there's some Arab in there, maybe Saddlebred or Morgan (newer style)...

I'm not edmucated on breeds either lol.

Does he have normal gaits?

I also think he looks morgan to me crossed with maybe walking horse ? His shoulders are kind of small but, he looks like he make have a walking horse head. Another possibility would be a foxtrotter. He's smaller built.

Are you looking to breed one of your horses? Why? Do you know how depressed the horse market is right now? Not a good time to breed horses unless you have very marketable, competitive horses.

As far as what that youngster is, hard to say. Where did you get him? Is he gaited? How do you he's smooth? Is he being ridden? He looks like a roan, which can also be a clue. He looks very light in the hind end so would guess some Arabian. His head doesn't have the refined look of an Arab, so there must be something else. Does he have a thick mane and tail? That could indicate Morgan. I don't see Morgan though. I would guess TWH and Arabian.

Edited by Little Cow

I would guess he is a mix of a bunch of things. If I had to guess he is some sort of small gaited horse crossed on something else.

I don't see anything that suggests morgan to me, but I'm also very tired and caffeine deprived.

He reminds me a little of some mustangs I've seen, but that doesn't mean much.

I grew up on morgans, that horse doesnt have a drop of morgan in it, I assure you that. I also own a saddlebred now, he also does NOT look to have any saddlebred in him either. He looks like your typical grade horse. Hes got really poor conformation, looks like someone built him out of 5 mismatching horse parts LOL. I am sure hes a nice horse to be around, he doesnt look like hed be very comfortable to ride with that super straight shoulder, his long back, and being built completely downhill, all that together with that super long neck and giant head, any sort of collection will be nearly impossible for him. Also, that right hind foot looks like a club foot. I really hope hes a gelding, because this horse does NOT have any physical attributes that need to be passed on, his genetics should stop there.

Edited by audrey-mae

I tend to agree with the above posters. Given his age (possible grown spurt) and crooked awkward angled pic angle and his stance, things may change alittle before he's mature. But there are enough things going on conformationwise now, to know he was either out of/by other equally disproportioned horses, or several VERY differen breed types.

He may be sweet and pretty colored, but I'd be much more worried about the affects of his conformation than trying to figure of what breeds he is because he doesn't represent any one well at all, or even fit into the conformation type of anything in particular. You could call him anything you want, but it doesn't really matter if the horse doesn't posses the characteristics of the breeds.

Eta: darn auto correct phone spelling programs.. And there's still tons of typos...Grrrr.

Edited by equi-librium