Sign in to follow this  
little_mom52

Horses Swept Away By Flood Waters In Upstate Ny

Home : News : Local News FLOOD WARNING School Closings Alert UPDATE: More than 20 horses missing in Fultonham

Reported by: Katherine Underwood Email: katherineunderwood@fox23news.com

Videographer: M. Jackson

Print Story Published: 9/02 12:35 pm Share Updated: 9/02 11:29 pm

UPDATE:

Just like millions of people along the east coast these 22 horses in Schoharie County did everything they could to escape the wrath of Irene.

They ran to the highest spot and tried to wait it out and then the water rose and it was too powerful and it swept them down the river, Neff said.

Leland Neff said his farm on Route 30 in Fultonham was under several feet of water in some spots.

He calls his horses family and says he chose the bloodlines, raised them and taught them to jump.

Two days before the flood, I said to myself very proudly that I had created my dream, he said.

Since Sunday he's been chasing that dream, a tireless search over 100 miles on foot and horseback.

Hoping to bring all of them home.

He's confident the horses could survive the swim but they could be up to 50 miles away.

What is disturbing is when I saw the amount of debris, huge trees and what could have hit them, Neff said.

Still he's searching and with the help of people across the country he is still hopeful his beautiful horses will make it home.

It's like losing the future, Neff said.

For updates you can click here or visit a Facebook page that has been set up as this search continues by clicking here.

Slideshow A local man is looking for help in finding 22 horses that went missing following Hurricane Irene.

Leland Neff, of Fultonham has been walking more than 40 miles a day searching for his 22 Thoroughbred stallions, mares and foals.

He believes that the horses could have been taken down river, but at this point he is no sure where they are.

If you see or know of anything, you're asked to call the following numbers:

Leland Neff at (518) 827-8767 or cellphone: (757) 652-0327.

Email: mschmoll@hughes.net

For pictures or more information about the missing horses click here.

For updates you can click here or visit a Facebook page that has been set up as this search continues by clicking here.