Sign in to follow this  
jumpinjax

Horse Dropping Feed On Ground

Ever since I've had Lego he has dropped his grain on the ground. If he is eating out of a hanging bucket he'll grab a mouthful and take his mouth of the bucket to chew and about 50% of the feed falls out of his mouth onto the ground. Same thing happens if he eats out of a feed pan on the ground (takes bite, moves head away from pan, grain falls to the ground). I soak his feed by the way. I add just enough water to make it as sticky as possible (not too dry, not too soupy).

Then the feed gets coated with dirt/sand and he eats it off the ground.

I've always been told having his teeth floated will fix it but his teeth have been done twice now with no change. I'm fact the last dentist said it probably won't help.

Would consuming all of this dirt/sand be the reason he won't gain weight? Someone suggested I put him on a sand colic supplement but I don't have any experience with sand colic or sand colic supplements.

Also, any suggestions on how to keep his feed in his mouth (or off the dirt) are welcomed. Also, any explainations of why he does this would be great too. :)

We use sand clear for out old horse who has colic issues. He gets it the first maybe 5 days of the month each month. You could try using a feed bag. That would keep him from dropping feed on the ground.

Some horses mouth anatomy just doesn't keep food up there too well... Your dentist said that his floating probably wouldn't help the issue but WHY? Is his jaw off? A feed bag could be a good idea if you can supervise while he eats.

How much food is the horse wasting?

I have a mare that has a large molar removed and she is a food dropper though carefully maintained with dental work. Just what she does. She also will eat and clean it up off the ground though I don't soak and she is pretty careful. I do keep her on Omega Horseshine though as it helps like psyllium (what's in sand clear) and it also has a lot of added fat to keep on weight. Also vits/mins and omegas that help her sensitive skin.

I wasn't there while Lego had his teeth floated because I had to work. The BO was the one who told me the dentist didn't think it would help so I don't have an explanation as of why.

Right now he drops about half of his food on the ground and eats about half of what is on the ground. Is the Omega Horseshine a better option over Sand Clear? As far as weight I was told about a supplement called Pounds that is supposed to work miracles, but I've never heard of it before. The woman that is about to half lease Lego just moved from Oregon and she was able to get it up there, but its unavailable to me here unless I order it.

A big rock in his feeder to slow him down and make him think about eating what he's gotten in his mouth? Rather than dinkin around moving his head away from the feeder...

I really have no suggestions beyond floating teeth, which has been done...

I would call up that dentist and ask why.. It would be beneficial for you to know.

Also sticking a large block of salt or a rock in to slow the horse down will help. I do that with my mare that spills. She won't spill as much.

I like Omega Horseshine better because it is also a fat supplement and a supplement for skin, hooves and coat. It like it a lot and it's put fat on a horse I hadn't been able to before that.

If your looking for a supplement to help put weight on Cool Calories is tops.

Also what are you feeding now? How much hay?

i have a mare that does this, maybe cause shes big and has big ol lips i dont know, but like you shes on a stict floating schedule and its not her teeth. Sand Clear is great to give on occasions no matter what. ive said a million times nothing puts weight and bloom on a horse like D.A.C. (Orange, Bloom or the oil are my fav's) and lastly theres not much you can do to change this, the idea of a feed bag is pretty cool, but what i do is have clean rubber mats under where she eats. hope that helps! :smileywavey:

I'm really considering getting him a feed bag. Right now he eats 6lbs. A day of Southern States Triple 10. I board him and that is as much as the BO will feed him. He also gets 2 cups a day of Black Oil Sunflower seeds. I started him on these when he was still at my moms house. He was also on free choice hay and Jew was in good weight. The barn I'm at now feeds maybe 1/2 the amount of hay they should for horseshoe on a dry lot. The grass died off and they never adjusted the amount of hay they fed. I'm thinking about stall boarding him because he will get free choice hay throughout the day. They feed fescue hay.

The last place I boarded had rubber mats they let me feed him on but some barns are more willing to help without charging extra. The barn I'm at now charges for EVERY. EXTRA. THING. I don't think the owner knows or understands that a 17hh TB typically needs to eat more than a 15hh QH.

nail his tub to a large rubber stall mat, then when he spills he will still be eating off something clean. And yes, good idea to give a sand supplement. I use metamucil- 3/4c for a week

I make a mash....red wheat bran flakes, alfalfa pellets, applesause, a bit of molasses and generic (mine like berry flavor) metamucil...cheaper than sand clear and you can get it at Costco or other wholesale supply places in big tubs. I give about a cup of the metamucil, a couple cups of wheat bran, half a big jar of applesauce and maybe 1/4 cup of molasses and several cups of alfalfa pellets....into a 5 gallon bucket and add enough warm water to make a thin mush (it will thicken on your way out to the horse)...makes about 2 1/2 gallons or so...dump into a feed pan and they eat it up like candy. I give this the first of each month. Live on desert ground and they eat off the ground...haven't had a sand colic since I started doing this (about 4 years now) and had two in a year before starting...nearly lost my perlino stallion.

I would second the feed bag- if not the feed bag, put something like a salt brick or something in his food so he cannot grab a bunch at a time. That is probably his issue- he just is a messy eater LOL!

Keep him on the Sand Clear- don't do the Metamucil. If you were to feed Metamucil to equal the amount of psyllium fiber that is in the Sand Clear, it wouldn't be cheaper and not cost effective, so, just stick with the Sand Clear. Metamucil doesn't contain enough psyllium to really do anything for a 1,000 plus lb. horse. There is a reason it is a human grade product.

Anyway, if you feed lots of good quality hay, you are probably cleaning him out anyway. Nothing is better at removing sand than good quality hay and lots of it- but if he is eating off the ground, I would feel better giving the Sand Clear as well too.