jestergurl200

Should I Be Paying?

I posted an ad on the internet looking for horses to ride, as I am not at home again for school, and as such, don't have a horse. I didn't say that I was looking to pay to ride, but also didn't say I was looking to be paid. I have a lot of experience with greenies, and was a working student for a dressage coach, where I learned a lot about putting basic dressage work on young and/or green horses.

I got an email from someone looking for me to put a little more dressage work on her horse, saying that I could show the horse in the spring if I wished, and could I jump as well, as the horse is learning to jump. The person concluded the email stating that they would not charge me much to ride, as I would be helping with the training of the horse. So, what do you think, should I be paying to ride the horse, should I be being paid, or should it just be a mutually beneficial trade-off?

Most of the people I know from my riding past keep telling me that I should not be riding for free, as I usually end up with horses who have holes in their training, or who have been allowed to get away with misbehaving through intimidation or other tactics (rearing that is not caused by pain, bolting, spooking, etc), which puts me at risk of injury. Not saying this mare is like this, I don't know anything about her other than what was in the email, but what are your thoughts about paying someone to ride your horse, as opposed to them paying you? I am not really sure how to respond to this, as I don't want to sound rude, but I also don't want to possibly pass up a good ride. Help?

I don't think you should be paying her because you are putting miles and training on her horse, however because you are also getting something out of it (showing, a horse to ride, etc.) she shouldn't really pay you. also if your an amateur would you be willing to lsoe that status to be paid? if she'd even be willing to pay you.

If you have to pay tho id say no

Now, to be fair, if you posted the ad saying you were looking for somethign to ride but didn't expressly list that you would charge them to ride, or listing a fee, then you can't really expect to be paid. But no, you still shouldn't be paying.

As an owner, based on your placing an ad, I would have to say that I'd want to know a whole lot more about your background as a trainer because that is what I would be looking at you doing. Since you just posted trying to find a horse to ride, I don't think you can expect to be paid at this point.

I do think you are in a good position to negotiate. You have the experience as a former WS and you have the experience w/youngsters. Since you have this experience, and can offer these skills, you can obviously keep this horse going and give it exposure w/showing.

If I were the owner, like I said, I'd want to know more about your experiences in dealing w/the young horses, so what I would do is perhaps come up with a little resume and talk with the owner about what you can offer. The owner believes she is doing you a favor since you want a horse to ride. Because of this, you have to make your skills even out that cost. Suggest a test ride so you can demonstrate your skills. From there you can work out a plan that can work out for you both. Good luck!!

Thanks PMJ, I am not looking to be paid. People who know my riding have mentioned that I should be being paid, but I don't claim to be a professional, and have no desire to carry this title.

This was the ad I posted:

"University student looking for horses to exercise while at school. Experience in dressage, and greenies. Can jump as well. Available to work around your schedule. Prefer horses in the KW/Guelph area.

Can also muck, groom, braid, etc."

She emailed stating she has a green TB mare that goes w/t/c and is being taught to jump but that she wants the horse's dressage improved, and wants me to do so as she doesn't have the experience. She then concluded the email by saying she "wouldn't charge me much, as I would be helping with the training". This is why I was confused, and asked for thoughts here.

I did email back and we are trying to work a test ride into both of our schedules, but I made it clear in my response that I was not looking to pay to ride. Hopefully it'll pan out, and if not, a few other people have emailed looking for a rider :)

I wouldn't commit to a horse without a trial ride first, and it amazes me how many people are willing to jump at this without seeing me ride first, but I suppose to each their own.

I would have to agree with you then, I would not be looking to pay to ride. You were very clear that you were not looking for a lease situation and you are clearly an educated rider with something to offer a green horse. Looks like the owner wants training and $$$$. I do agree, see how it pans out. Hopefully, you can reach a good compromise!