Nikki Livermore

Boyd Martin Wins Dansko Fair Hill Int Cci***

Boyd Martin Wins Dansko Fair Hill Int CCI***

?

Elkton, Maryland -- Boyd Martin has once again claimed the Dansko Fair Hill International CCI*** Three-Day Event and United States Equestrian Federation (USEF) National CCI*** Eventing Championship. Martin, Cochranville, PA, riding his own and Faye and Eliza Woolf?s Thoroughbred gelding Ying Yang Yo, jumped clear and in the time on a score of 52.0 to clinch the victory over Becky Holder, Fairburn, GA, riding Can?t Fire Me (56.2), owned by Phil and Melissa Town and Tom Holder, who had one rail down.?

?

Overnight leader Jan Byyny, Purcellville, VA, riding Inmidair, had two rails down to finish in third place (59.2).? Byyny, who was competing at the CCI*** level for the first time since a life-threatening injury in 2010, was also the recipient of the Sportsmanship Award.

?

Martin also won the event in 2008 riding his own Neville Bardos. For his efforts Martin will go home with The Fair Hill Bronze, The Gladstone Trophy and The Guy V. Henry Memorial Trophy.

?

After the show jumping today Martin said, ?It was a typical Ying Yang Yo round where we bumped and thumped a few rails and got away with a clear round. He?s come second in a couple of three stars, Melbourne and Fair Hill, and it was very satisfying to win one, but part of me is sad because I admire Jan?s comeback, so when she had a rail down I didn?t know whether to be happy or sad; part of me wanted her to win today.?

?

Byyny said, ?I?m just really lucky I didn?t fall off because then I wouldn?t be here at all! He?s a really great jumper and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn?t. I?ve had a really good support system in my parents, my boyfriend and the girls helping me in the barn. I?m hoping to make it to the Olympics next year. I hope to have two horses at Kentucky next year ? I hope Syd Kent will be back. But really I?m taking it one day at a time.?

?

Martin also said, ?I think America all of a sudden has a good bit of depth for the London Olympics. If you take the horses from here, Blenheim, Boekelo and Burghley as well as the three-star at Galway Downs, I think we?ve got a really good group of quality horses and I?d like to think we?re a lot stronger than we were at the WEG last year. Now it?s up to the selectors and coaches to make sure these horses are delivered through the selection process in the most positive way to present the American team in the best way possible.

?

The 2011 USEF National Under 25 Eventing Championship went to Kelly Pugh, Hollister, CA, who finished in 28th place riding Copycat Chloe.

?

In the USEF National CCI** Eventing Championship Kylie Lyman, West Hartford, VT, hung on to the lead riding the seven-year-old Irish gelding Trading Aces, owned by Jeff and Joanie Nicholl. The pair jumped a clear round with no time faults and ran away with their first national championship on a score of 48.7.

?

?I?m so happy, my horse didn?t put a foot wrong all weekend,? said Lyman. ?I tried to just let him do his job and he jumped great. I?m still in shock.?

?

Colleen Rutledge and Dillon also jumped double clear to finish second (53.9).

?

?Dylan and I had a rough fall season, but he jumped great,? said Rutledge. ?We were supposed to do the three-star here but I dropped him back down a level. The footing yesterday was tough and he really felt it, but he came in today and just exploded around the course. I was thrilled with him.?

?

Kendal Lehari (CAN), Uxbridge, ON, placed third riding her mother Gwen Lehari?s horse Totally Frank (54.7). Lehari also earned the Leading Foreign Rider award. Totally Frank is a 6-year-old Off the Track Thoroughbred and Lehari said, ?I?m hoping he?ll be an awesome team horse someday. I?m trying not to push him too fast.?

?

40 horses started the show jumping in the CCI** division.

?

Members of the United States Pony Clubs received their awards today for the USPC President?s Cup Invitational Games. During the Games, riders in teams of five compete in a variety of challenging and entertaining relay races. Several upper-level event riders also took part in an entertaining pony race, with Will Faudree taking the win.

?

The Dansko Fair Hill International Festival in the Country benefits Union Hospital in Elkton, MD. The hospital, whose mission is to enhance the health and well-being of the residents of Cecil County and its neighboring communities, has been caring for area families and neighbors for more than 100 years.

?

Healthy feet, healthy body, healthy planet. That?s the spirit behind Dansko. Founded in 1990 by husband and wife team Peter Kjellerup and Mandy Cabot, both former horse trainers, Dansko shoes, socks and apparel are now sold in over 2,500 premium retailer locations across North America. Dansko is the leader in all-day comfort.

?

For more information on this year?s Fair Hill, including how to purchase tickets, please call (410) 398-2111 or visit www.fairhillinternational.com.

?