rlawlis

Weekly Photography Challenge 5

Hi Everyone! :)

Hope you all had a great week. I see that several people got out there and got some pictures of repeating shapes! :) I was very pleased with the outcome. You all did a wonderful job. I thought I would wait until later in this evening to post my favorites that way everyone would have time to post their pictures. I hope everyone enjoyed this challenge. I'm sorry it was a little tough this week, but I'm happy to see that several of you got out and found repeating shapes! :) That's what these challenges are all about. So kudos to everyone who went out and got new pictures for the challenge! :notworthy: I think EVERYONE got wonderful pictures of repeating shapes/patterns! Now on to the favorites from the week :yay:

Remember, these are just my favorites and my personal opinion. EVERYONE did a wonderful job! :notworthy::yahoo:

Spunkers: I thought all of your photos depicted repeating shapes well. However this photo stood out to me. I love the colors and the lighting. The shallow DOF adds emphasis to the repeating circular shape of the pegs. A very nice photo. Good job :-)

295922_2516536510787_1174462107_33086850_591515803_n.jpg

Sayge: I absolutely love this photo. The repeating shapes of the pens is emphasized by your unique lighting choice. I'm very curious how you got the lighting for this picture. The pens are all in focus and the diluted colors are wonderful. A truly awesome photo. :jump:

2011-10-20232842.jpg

Sangria: I loved all three of your photos. However the repeating pattern of the bricks really caught me eye. The focus is sharp throughout and the lines of the bricks make a very interesting pattern. I even like the constant color throughout the photo. A job well done :yahoo:

paris27-4-09_107rs.jpg

Hollywood: The bright colors in this photo draw my eye to it, and the repeating petals of the sunflower make a very interesting pattern. The lighting is nice. and the photo is well composed. :grin:

20110815_2082.jpg

You all did a wonderful job and I wanted to post at least one from everyones set of photos. I'm so happy to see everyone getting out and getting some great shots. Like I said everyone did FANTASTIC!! :)

Edited by Mustang Girl

Hi Everyone,

This is our fifth weekly photography challenge. The challenge will run from Sunday, 23rd October 2011 starting at 9pm through Sunday, 30th October 2011 ending at 8pm. Eastern Standard Time. After that time I will go through all the photos posted and decide the three top photos that best depicted the challenge. The top three (and any other photos I thought deserved an honorable mention) will be posted/announced on the thread that begins the following weeks challenge. There will be no prizes given out. However the purpose of this is to challenge your photo taking ability. That way you can learn more about your camera and how to look at everyday things differently. It will help you to think outside the box and will be a ton of fun to share photos with fellow board members. We will try this out a few weeks and I will make a decision based on the popularity of it as to wether or not I will continue to post the challenges weekly or bi weekly or end the challenges completely. So remember your participation is needed to keep this alive. :)

There are two rules to the challenge

1) ABSOLUTELY NO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT. This means the photo that you post MUST have been taken by you.

2) NO CRUEL COMMENTS OR CRITICIZING. This thread may also be used for photography discussion, however please resist the urge to criticize other peoples work. Remember everyone has different views and perspectives on the challenges and just because someone's view is different then yours it does not make it wrong. However please feel free to discuss photography and if someone asks for opinions or feedback, please feel free to give it.

Also, you may post as many photos as you would like, this thread is not a contest, instead a way to share and stretch your ability to take different kinds of photos. So feel free to post away. The more pictures you take the better you will get at it. Don't worry about your photos being "mediocre" :) This is a way to learn to better your photography skills. It's a learning process for everyone. So have lots of fun! I look forward to all the pictures! :)

Now that all the boring stuff has been gone over, let the fun begin! :) Our fifth weekly challenge will be "RULE OF THIRDS"! For this challenge I would like to see the subject of your photo composed in a third of the photo. Meaning that if you were to fold your photo into thirds horizontally or vertically the subject should be in one of the thirds. I would love for you all to stay away from the center of the photo and try to be creative, using different lighting and depths of field.

One of these thirds is what I would like the subject to be composed in, like I said, try to stay away from the dead center.

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

Just a note all of my photos are shot with a Canon Rebel Xti with different lenses. I usually shoot on M (manual mode) Meaning I set the aperture, shutter speed and ISO for taking a shot. I prefer to shoot this way because it gives me control over getting a creatively correct exposure.

Here are some examples of Rule of Thirds.

IMG_3563-1.jpgIMG_6457.jpg

IMG_1983.jpg

IMG_7661.jpgIMG_1454.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

Edited by Mustang Girl

Thanks gor mentioning my photo! I got it that way by changing the setting on my cell phone to negative. It's all automatic. I'd love to have a real camera lol.

Well, I got out there and took a few. Here's two of them.

IMG_0610.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg

The scenery is getting pretty drab out there. All the colored leaves are gone. Soon it will be all white!

I think I may have to join in on this.. although I dont have much around an apartment and house im fixing up to take pictures of..lol but I do have good cameras and this would give me an excuse to use them...lol.. the 3rds thing is hard for me..I had a project years ago in high school and it was the only one I did poorly on..oh well I'll see what I can come up with

Cherry, it seems hard, but you can take pictures of any object...even a spoon or a fork! Or a candle...or maybe a pen or a piece of fruit. So, you'll feel dumb taking pictures of random household objects, but they really are cool!

These first two I took a few years ago.

IMG_3504.jpg

IMG_3522.jpg

These two I took this morning, I didn't have alot of time, hopefully I have more time in the morning.

_MG_0269.jpg

_MG_0273.jpg

This one was shot last year I think.

Bree3rdBarrel1.jpg

I hope you can keep this going. I really need help with shooting animals and I would like to break into weddings someday. Thanx for your time.

Dont Know if these count for the "Rule of Thirds" but i figure since they are not dead center it would be okay =)

The first one was a spider that had been hanging on my moms garage to trashcan area. I was lucky to get her and some of the web clear and the rest of the background blurry dont know how i did it but the camera was awesome that day haha.

314627_144523675640227_100002477856119_222995_1231735068_n.jpg

The next two are a couple of ducks that are at our local park. Again camera did great for me this day.

303019_144523912306870_100002477856119_223001_259724549_n.jpg

309498_144523812306880_100002477856119_222998_943230320_n.jpg

Love everybody's pictures. P.S. these contests are awesome hope i can join in since i wasnt in the last ones. :happy0203:

thats what they are called lol i always thought a vulture got to friendly with a duck at the park lol :twitch: i didn't know it was actually a breed of duck. :happy0203:

Yep! They're pretty awesome! We have one at the barn named Pretty Bird. He's a hoot. They're land ducks (closely related to a goose) and can't quack, and some people use them as guard ducks :D

Here's mine! Hopefully I'll get a chance to retake the last two today, it was dark by the time I got the opportunity to play the other day!

DSC_0105_3.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0161.jpg

DSC_0165.jpg

So many great photos this week

Disregard the following, for some reason I thought it was a noon cut off time. I just read it is in the evening. Sorry.

Now that the days are getting shorter, any chance of moving the cutoff time to Sunday night? It's almost dark week days by the time I get off work & in a couple of weeks it will be dark (and probably the same for some others). That only allows for Sat & a couple of hours on Sunday morning to shoot. I would rather try & get new pictures for the challenge than use old ones.

arbor3-26-11078frs.jpg

Misc10-8-11025rs.jpg

Misc10-8-1102rs.jpg

Edited by Sangria

So many great photos this week

Disregard the following, for some reason I thought it was a noon cut off time. I just read it is in the evening. Sorry.

You were correct, the cut off was afternoon, however I changed it for this weeks challenge, and all the following ones because of days getting shorter and people having to work. :winking:

And you are right! There are SOOOOOOO mant good photos this week! I will have many favorites posted momentarily! :yahoo:

Yep! They're pretty awesome! We have one at the barn named Pretty Bird. He's a hoot. They're land ducks (closely related to a goose) and can't quack, and some people use them as guard ducks :D

They are my favorite ones from the whole park they are known around here as the ugly ducks lol guard ducks these here don't do much guarding they just like to steal your lunch ha ha they've actually had little ones i need to go get photos of the new wee bitty ones that are running around. :yahoo:

Dont Know if these count for the "Rule of Thirds" but i figure since they are not dead center it would be okay =)

The first one was a spider that had been hanging on my moms garage to trashcan area. I was lucky to get her and some of the web clear and the rest of the background blurry dont know how i did it but the camera was awesome that day haha

Love everybody's pictures. P.S. these contests are awesome hope i can join in since i wasnt in the last ones. :happy0203:

Of course you are more than welcome to join!! We are happy to have you! :smileywavey: You took some great pictures this week! Oh and you get the background out of focus by using a large aperture (and f-stop or f/5.6 or lower.) What kind of camera do you have? I would be more than happy to help you out with any questions you have. That's why I created these challenges, so people can learn more about their cameras, and have a place to share their pictures. :) Hope to see you in next weeks challenge! :) Happy Shooting!

Of course you are more than welcome to join!! We are happy to have you! :smileywavey: You took some great pictures this week! Oh and you get the background out of focus by using a large aperture (and f-stop or f/5.6 or lower.) What kind of camera do you have? I would be more than happy to help you out with any questions you have. That's why I created these challenges, so people can learn more about their cameras, and have a place to share their pictures. :) Hope to see you in next weeks challenge! :) Happy Shooting!

i own a Canon PowerShot SX20 IS its been my best friend for a couple months now but i hardly had the time to mess with it and figure it out or even use it for that matter two jobs kept me from that but these past couple weeks when ive actually had the time ive started to research it and photography meanings ive started messing with the Aperture and ISO actually yesterday. thank you ive actually already started thinking of some ideas for the silhouette competition. :yahoo:

They are my favorite ones from the whole park they are known around here as the ugly ducks lol guard ducks these here don't do much guarding they just like to steal your lunch ha ha they've actually had little ones i need to go get photos of the new wee bitty ones that are running around. :yahoo:

Yeah, everyone thinks they're so ugly because of their face! But they have the prettiest feathers and the most engaging personalities. Our Pretty Bird doesn't do much guarding either, but he did run after me quickly this morning...lol. And he makes most everyone at this barn nervous :D