Sign in to follow this  
Sakura18

Is It Legal In The Us To Eat Horsemeat?

This is NOT a debate on slaughterhouses or wether they should be legal.

Is it legal to butcher YOUR OWN equine and eat it? I mean,they are considered livestock. The main purpose of livestock is for butchering,correct?

What got me thinking about this is my pony who threw me 3 times today. Pony stew anyone? :winking: Joking,i love the little spit!

No it is not illegal to eat your own horse. You cannot sell the meat for human consumption. You could give it away.

EDITED: To add one word for clarity.

Edited by Storygurl

Yes, it is legal. We just recently put down and butchered a paint mare that was on our property. We will be doing it again with another pony that is on the place. Cheaper than beef I think. Especially with the horse market so poor, I can go to the auction house in spring, buy a horse for 50-100 dollars, throw it out to pasture for the spring, summer, and early fall and then butcher and process it ourselves. Just as tasty, lots of meat, and cheaper than raising beef cattle from start to finish or buying one.

Yes, it is legal. We just recently put down and butchered a paint mare that was on our property. We will be doing it again with another pony that is on the place. Cheaper than beef I think. Especially with the horse market so poor, I can go to the auction house in spring, buy a horse for 50-100 dollars, throw it out to pasture for the spring, summer, and early fall and then butcher and process it ourselves. Just as tasty, lots of meat, and cheaper than raising beef cattle from start to finish or buying one.

How did that meat turn out for you guys? I really wish there was a place in the US to purchase horse meat that was raised for the soul purpose of butchering. I want me some cheval steak.

Edited by Storygurl

I got some summer sausage so far. It was REALLY freakin' good. The guys took a lot of steaks out west with them when they went Elk hunting. The B.O. said it was really good. I'll be out at the farm busting tail with him and his son this weekend and the B.O. invited me to stay for dinner. He's gunna make me up a horse steak on the grill. Says it's really yummy over an open flame too if you have the right kind of wood. I'm looking forward to getting my tiny portion. I thought I was going to get a lot more...but I think I'm going to offer him 50 bucks for the little pony and have him put her down and then she'll be ALL MINE. That way I can share with all my HC friends that had originally wanted some. :smilie:

You know with the price of beef prices are so high... horse market hit the skids... I think a lot more folks will be considering this... Syc

Story and Spanish I have a silly ? So do you eat your own horses or ones that you dont personally use? I'm asking because I kinda look at my horses like I look at my dog lol. Not really an edible substance. Imo. But I was just kind of curious of your thoughts? Do you guys still do all the reg shots or only the ones safe for people to eat? Same with dewormer. It doesnt bother me that people eat horse. Personally I couldnt do it but im silly like that. Thanks

DH is considering buying a cheap horse, fattening it up, and butchering it. Heck, we pay $45 for a small hog that we have to fatten up. Might as well pay the same for a horse and get more meat.

As with *any* non-USDA inspected meat, you can sell it "on the hoof" (live) for butchering (we do it with steers all the time) but you can't sell it already cut and wrapped. And of course it's legal to do so. What is NOT legal is selling it outright already processed.

Vaccines and de-wormers have withdrawal periods, same as with cattle.

Story and Spanish I have a silly ? So do you eat your own horses or ones that you dont personally use? I'm asking because I kinda look at my horses like I look at my dog lol. Not really an edible substance. Imo. But I was just kind of curious of your thoughts? Do you guys still do all the reg shots or only the ones safe for people to eat? Same with dewormer. It doesnt bother me that people eat horse. Personally I couldnt do it but im silly like that. Thanks

No I would not eat my pet horse. But if i bought a horse just for butchering it I am not going to make it into a pet. It will get good care just not what the type of care River gets. I have never done this but really would like to try some horse. I ate some when I was a child but could not tell you what of it I remember other than my mother freaking out about it.

I guess I am like you. How does one go about butchering an animal usually kept as a pet? Do you still worm them, give them vaccinations,??? Lot of questions really. That is mostly why I have not gone out and purchased a meat horse. I do not know what is in it. Now I may purchase a foal and keep it for a year and and then butcher it. I would imagine you treat them the same as you would cattle.

Thats a good point. I still don't think I could do it though. Lol. we bought a few calves with then intention of butchering them but as soon as they followed me around like mama I was bent. I cried like a baby when they went to the shop lol.

But I do like me a big steak!

Edited by Brownie_Cinnamon_my_girlz

Brownie- I can't say for sure if I would eat my own horse. Probably if it came down to it... No different than someone who eats their own cow, pig, goat. My horse is just that. A horse. They are all considered livestock and if I had to put one down, why waste the time to bury it when I can process the horse and do something useful with it? I think that's better than letting it rot in the ground.

With drawl periods are the SAME for cattle and horses. No different. Same process.

As for "cost", it depends. You buy a decent looking horse for 50-100 dollars with good meat on it, chances are it'll do fine on pasture for the few months you have it. We do all our own shots and farrier work so cost there is minimal on meds and zero on hoof work.

I think with selective breeding horses could be raised to grow at a more rapid rate when it comes to pound vs. pound. No different than cattle really. It's all in the breeding. But, seeing as it's not common practice in the U.S chances of this happening are probably pretty slim. Such a shame too as I think a meat market for human consumption in horses would really turn the market around.....but too many people are on the "Black Beauty Band Wagon" and refuse to see the good in it. All they see is someone eating a horse. :indifferent:

Only problem to point out here is drug withdrawal times. They're established for cattle since they're intended for food. Drug withdrawal times for horses generally have not been established. For example, I just went and looked at tubes of Bute & Banamine. Both say clearly "Not for use in horses intended for human consumption." Bute will fry your liver pretty effectively, so unless you've raised it yourself, I wouldn't be eating it any time soon!!

Only problem to point out here is drug withdrawal times. They're established for cattle since they're intended for food. Drug withdrawal times for horses generally have not been established. For example, I just went and looked at tubes of Bute & Banamine. Both say clearly "Not for use in horses intended for human consumption." Bute will fry your liver pretty effectively, so unless you've raised it yourself, I wouldn't be eating it any time soon!!

I agree.

And not that it really matters since everything we breath in is a known carcinogen nowadays but- Bute is a known carcinogen. Yippie I A.

The thing with Bute is it would have to be in HUGE doses in the horse minutes before it was euthanized and processed and then a person would have to eat something like 100 lbs in order to be affected by the amount of Bute in the meat.

I have 7 horses currently and of them, only 2 have ever had Bute in their lives.

And now ... the funding for USDA inspectors for horse meat for human consumption has PASSED! That means horse can now be slaughtered for human consumption in the US. As of last night/today.

The thing with Bute is it would have to be in HUGE doses in the horse minutes before it was euthanized and processed and then a person would have to eat something like 100 lbs in order to be affected by the amount of Bute in the meat.

I have 7 horses currently and of them, only 2 have ever had Bute in their lives.

And now ... the funding for USDA inspectors for horse meat for human consumption has PASSED! That means horse can now be slaughtered for human consumption in the US. As of last night/today.

Before the regulations to make it more humane? How nice.

Yay! This is good news.

Good news! And Blondyb.....the regulations ARE there for humane slaughter....the captive bolt is considered to be humane by the veterinary associations....as effective as a bullet and not as dangerous for the person using it....don't sidetrack another thread.

Yes, it is legal to kill and butcher your own horse to eat. You can also sell a horse, "on the hoof" (live) to someone who wants it butchered. You cannot sell the meat once the horse is butchered as there is currently no one to do the inspection required for selling processed meats. You can, however, give it to someone. Withdrawal periods in horses haven't been established because no one was studying it as it has been done in the beef industry therefore there aren't established timelines for various drugs. However, random testing of carcasses in Canada has shown very very few that tested positive for anything and those were extremely low levels so chances are good that the clearance/withdrawal times of various drugs are similar to those of beef cattle and more research is being done regarding this. Unless some of my recently purchased horses had bute at some point in their life (one probably did, maybe two of them) none of the horses here that I have had since foals have ever had any.

Passed what? Both the House and the Senate? Does the President have to sign off on it?

Passed joint committee....each house (House and Senate) will now vote on approval of the bill which was in committee to iron out differences between the two versions previously put up....since both of these versions did NOT have the riders present since 2005 that prevented using USDA funding to pay for inspections of horse carcasses these funds would now be available if the joint committee funding bill passes....and it is very likely to at this point since once it is passed by both and goes to committee to iron out those differences the approval of both houses of Congress is pretty much a done deal. And yes, the Pres has to sign the bill but he doesn't do line item vetoes on budget bills for the entire USDA....I'm not sure he even has the authority to do so on the big dept bills....would have to check on that.

While this is a step in the direction of renewing the slaughter of horses here rather than 1000 miles or more away, it doesn't require the funding be spent but rather allows it to be. USDA would still have to train/hire/supervise inspectors unless the beef carcass inspectors can be used for this...another thing I don't know for sure about. It does open the door however and that's an important step for those areas considering building slaughter facilities. Another thing that is important in this is actions such as those taken in, I believe, Montana that states those filing suits to stop such facilities will have to post bond covering the loss of investment/time/construction etc of such facilities if they loose their suit.....has slowed down a lot of the anti's legal action as they now have a financial risk when they file to stop things.

Before the regulations to make it more humane? How nice.

The only area I felt required significant improvement was shipping, followed closely by holding. Areas for implementation of new safeguards would be thorough and on-going training of staff to reduce mistakes at the kill floor and the use of remote/random surveillance to ensure good stock handling practices, with no 'blind spots' for the cameras.

The actual kill process with the captive bolt IS, and HAS BEEN, humane for many years.

The only area I felt required significant improvement was shipping, followed closely by holding. Areas for implementation of new safeguards would be thorough and on-going training of staff to reduce mistakes at the kill floor and the use of remote/random surveillance to ensure good stock handling practices, with no 'blind spots' for the cameras.

The actual kill process with the captive bolt IS, and HAS BEEN, humane for many years.

Well, yea, of course it always has been, WHEN the horse is HIT in the correct spot. But that is the problem.

Take humans for instance. One human can get hit on the head and completely black out and die while another human can get hit on the head in a different area and may just get disoriented.

Or how about the times when people get rods (or other things) through their skulls and they don't die and turn out fine?

It is all about where the animal is hit and while the captive, when used correctly, is humane, the problem is, with most machinery, is if it is used correctly.

Well, yea, of course it always has been, WHEN the horse is HIT in the correct spot. But that is the problem.

Take humans for instance. One human can get hit on the head and completely black out and die while another human can get hit on the head in a different area and may just get disoriented.

Or how about the times when people get rods (or other things) through their skulls and they don't die and turn out fine?

It is all about where the animal is hit and while the captive, when used correctly, is humane, the problem is, with most machinery, is if it is used correctly.

This sounds like you are looking for a 100% perfect kill every time. Not going to happen no matter what regulations are put into place. Cocka occurs. No amount of training, safety or restraint will be 100% effective. What is your solution?

do you worry about this when you eat hamburger or steak? or chicken or pork or lamb?

cattle have much thicker skulls that are harder to penetrate. bad shots are more common in cattle than they are in horses.

chickens have the worst lives of all slaughter animals. they live in cramped conditions, their transport is horrible.

i have worked in a chicken slaughterhouse and seen all the broken bones that was sticking out of the crates when they were stacked, hubby worked at a slaughterhouse killing pigs, cattle, horses and lambs for 10 years plus...

horse slaughter IS humanely done.

Um ... people aren't horses?

People 'getting hit in the head' aren't getting hit in the head with a captive bolt?

After enough people have been hit in the head with a captive bolt to create a valid quantity of statistics, let's compare notes then?

[changed to suit my point]

It is all about ... when used correctly, ... the problem is, with most machinery, is if it is used correctly.

Do you operate your vehicle perfectly, every time you drive? Always using signals? Never letting your tires touch a painted line?

People are human and mistake occur. Knowledge, training and a conscience attempt to minimize those mistakes.

But wait, you equate us with animals. So, I will say the captive bolt ... even if not hit perfectly ... is still preferable to being chased, dragged down and eaten alive by lions and hyenas.

But wait, you equate us with animals. So, I will say the captive bolt ... even if not hit perfectly ... is still preferable to being chased, dragged down and eaten alive by lions and hyenas.

:rotf: Nice!