Sign in to follow this  
blazeindystormy

I Lost My Job!

I got fired yesterday after 22 years at the same factory! I know it was my fault, I missed too many days and got too many points but I had a dr slip for probably every time. I just don't know what to do with myself now, trying to find a job is not going to be easy! It also is not going to be easy starting over from the bottom!

I am soooooo tired of crying and blaming myself and am so freakin depressed! :mecry: I guess I just needed to get it off my chest and talk to people who don't know me and who will hopefully not attack me for being so stupid! :bang_head: I blame myself enough I can't take anymore people telling me how it is my fault right now so please try to be easy on me right now, Thanks!

Sorry to hear. It is hard, no matter which party is at fault, especially after that long at a job!

Times are tough right now- and jobs are hard to find, but you can find another, somewhere! If you have ever thought about opening up your own business, although the economy sucks right now, now is a good time since you can devote your time to it.

That sucks. On the other hand the rest of your life begins now, it's up to you how it goes.

Listen carefully... opportunity may be knocking.

I am very, very sorry. I have learned in my lifetime (such as it is) that the crappy things that happen are always with a purpose, even if I don't see that for a long time.

I wish you the best, and don't succumb to hopelessness. Strat pounding the pavement, and keep pounding it. Sometimes the blessing is not in the destination but the journey. :huggy:

I'm so sorry, and I can totally relate. I've been out sick so much that my job is in jeopardy. (Not to mention being kind of a crappy employee anyway.) I'm trying really hard to figure out why I do the things I do and to shape up big time. So if nothing else, you may have helped me. :huggy:

My first thought regarding your situation was that I would be happy to get out of factory work. I don't know if that's true (EDIT: true for you), but I agree with the others that despite the fact that this will be really tough, it will end up becoming a huge blessing. Many, many good thoughts and jingles coming your way.

Edited by Kina Kat

Like you, I also was in a manufacturing situation for many years. However, everyone in the state of AZ lost their jobs with this company. All on the same day. And I know that jobs are not easy to come by these days. B ut, as others have said, when one door closes, another opens. Keep your chin up, think positive, and I'm sure you'll find another career that you'll love. It happened to me when I started driving a school bus, which I've been doing since I lost my manufacturing job. Best wishes, prayers, and hugs for you.

I am sure you didn't deliberately make yourself ill. Make sure you keep copies of your doctors slips. Sorry your employers could get away with firing you. Hope your unemployment benefits keep your head above water until you land another living wage job. Don't forget to look into the womens retraining programs in your area.

My life got a whole lot better when I got out of the factory. Really hope yours does too.

That sucks. On the other hand the rest of your life begins now, it's up to you how it goes.

Listen carefully... opportunity may be knocking.

^^ This exactly. It may not be a bad thing. I would think with your tenure that your doctors excuses would be ok.

Think outside the box, as they say! There is always something you can do, even if you have to create your own job! Forward thinking, girl!!

If they fired you in those circumstances, they didn't deserve you anyway. I've been fired once. I hate it. But, it turned out to be a great blessing. Just have faith, stay strong and get a better(happier, more rewarding) job. Just to spite'em! Prove that they don't rule you. Good luck and prayers.

I got fired from a job for being ill after a bad auto accident.

Although they had to create a problem from thin air as an excuse to do it.

Like you, I had crying jags, felt like the world had crashed and blamed myself for what happened.

Then, seven weeks later, I got the great news that the same excuse they’d used to fire me...not having 40 hours of Paid Time Off in my PTO bank (I had 35) was determined to be against the law in the state of California and I could fight to get my job back!

Happy Dance Time, right?

But then I noticed that feeling of not wanting to get out of bed...was missing.

The knot at the back of my neck from the whiplash...was starting to go away.

The headache that had me throwing up...was gone.

Then I knew I REALLY hated my job!

Sure the money was very good.

And the benefits were nice.

But, having people yelling on the phone every single day. Then being written up by the supervisor that every one in the building agreed was a BIA, for actually helping people who were ill and needed legitimate medical bills paid by our company!

As scary as not having a job was...I didn’t want to go back!

It took six months to find my next job.

I debated with myself every time I got a bill, and barely had enough to pay it.

About going back.

I went to R.O.P. (Regional Occupational Program) classes to learn new skills and found a job that made me happy every morning as I drove to work.

Your new goal for tomorrow is......

To take a long warm shower or a bubble bath.

Pick out a nice outfit to wear that makes you feel good.

Fix your face and hair.

Then go to your local unemployment office with a charming smile on your face and politely ask that harried worker for all the help and knowledge she or he can give you about re-training programs, writing great resumes and finding jobs!

Then your going to call everyone you know and ask them to keep eyes and ears open for your next job.

:jump::yay::jump::yay:

Edited by dondie

... go to your local unemployment office with a charming smile on your face and politely ask that harried worker for all the help and knowledge she or he can give you about re-training programs, writing great resumes and finding jobs!

You should be able to do the bolded part at your local library!

We added a program to our online resources this year called "Job & Career Accelerator" ... here is a link to our site, scroll down part way and it is listed on the left. http://www.uncleremus.org/

With J&CA, you create your own account, there is an aptitude test you can take to determine your strengths, a place for you to create your own professional resume with tips and advice. There is also a large database of available jobs and you can set your criteria for local, city, county, state, country and worldwide and it will give you a list of possibilities. The program also helps you *customize* each resume you send to reflect *that particular job* you wish to apply for AND it helps you keep track of what you sent, when you sent it and whom you sent it to, with reminders for follow-up.

I love this J&CA program and have directed many of our patrons to that resource with success.

Another valuable resource our library site offers is unlimited ASVAB studying and practice testing for military hopefuls, but the resource is far more than just military...

Learning Express http://learnatest.com/lel/index.cfm/general

The Learning Express has learning centers focusing on important areas like elementary, middle, high schools and college prep.

There are software tutorials for learning basic computer skills. !!!very excited about this!!! Adobe Flash, Illustrator, Photoshop. Corel WordPerfect. Microsoft Excel, OutLook, PowerPoint, Publisher, Visio. Windows and Mac operating systems.

GED preparation.

Workplace skill improvement.

Occupational practice tests. ASVAB, law enforcement, firefighting, air traffic control, civil service, CDL, culinary, nursing, cosmetology, plumbing, real estate, emergency medical, electrical, legal.

Skill building.

Citizenship.

Resources in Spanish language.

Many people feel libraries are not relative in this computer age but we are trying very hard, through unbelieveable budget cuts, to provide necessary and relevant services to our communities.

Go to your local library and CHECK IT OUT!

I do what N4L does... I drive a school bus and love it! I had a business for 30 years (upholstery) but when the fabric mills went overseas and more and more cheap imports came in .. I lost lots of income so I had to shut the door and get a job.. I do pretty good.. I make over 3,500.00 a month being a senior driver and driver trainer and I've only done this for 5 years....the only hazard the job has is getting a wet spit ball thrown at you...:happy0203:

AD

LOL, Alaska!!! I am also a senior driver, but I drive a sped bus, and my assistant is in charge of the kiddos.

Well I have an attendant also..I have to because I have 60 elementary and 45 JR/Sr kids...I'm driving a BlueBird All American..and its hard to tell what they are up to 40 feet away! :smileywavey: I also drive a sped route for midday.5 little pre-schoolers....so I'm working throughout the day..

AD

Edited by Alaskandraft

Same here, except I have two mid-days. I take one group in (8 kids) for one school, then I take 14 home from another school. Then I have 45 minutes for lunch before I start my afternoon runs.(3 schools, 45 kids). I drive the same type of bus that you do.

Edited by N4L

cool beans! Now if we can just get BlazeIndyStory to join the bus driving crew, we can almost have our own club..Mudder can be our President..:happy0203:

AD