damara

Let The Desert Rides Begin!

Summer has passed and high country trail rides are on the back burner for now.

This weekend was the first desert trail ride & campout this season. Took my happy appy out to Afton Canyon which is about 40 miles east of Barstow. We spent the weekend exploring various washes & canyons. The rides were "easy" & scenery was beautiful. Despite weather forecasts of rainy weather, we were blessed with partly cloudy conditions, temps in the upper 60s & NO wind.

Just another small piece of America the beautiful...I have been going 1-2 times a month for several years without leaving California (except for a couple of trips to arizona). I still have a list of new places I want to see in California. If I ever finish my California bucket list, I would also to try Colorado, Idaho, Wyoming & Montana someday.

The GPS track for the last ride of the weekend is at http://www.everytrai...trip_id=1361002

I haven't figured out how to shrink down the photos on this page, so I put a photo album Flickr & (more of the same) slideshow on youtube

http://www.flickr.co...57628001441505/

Edited by damara

Don't forget to come try some of Utahs trails

Rush hour can be brutal some days.

Rush-Hour.gif

Oh, yeah, how could I forget Utah? I lived in Logan for several years. There is a 3 day endurance ride near Moab that is on my bucket list. Hopefully I can go in 2012 or 2013. Depends on how quickly my new horse comes along. They hold it the end of October.

Let's get our calendars out, Damara, to figure out when to get out to Hole in the Wall.

Love your photos! I think you went, basically, the same way the ranger had described, although the map she sent had a little bit of a loop on the way back. Next time...

Hole in the wall can lead to some pretty places.. wow a Utahn who moved to Cali.. what a funny thing.. I am a Cali kid who moved tween Utah and Cali my whole love with a peppering of Nevada, New Mexico, Wyoming, and Michigan here and there.

I cant wait to get out for some winter riding this year..

I think I missed something, are we talking about "Hole In The Wall" Utah, or "Hole In The Wall" Calif?

Real History in both places, and lots to see with old mines, Ghost Towns, and old railroads.

I think I missed something, are we talking about "Hole In The Wall" Utah, or "Hole In The Wall" Calif?

Real History in both places, and lots to see with old mines, Ghost Towns, and old railroads.

I was talking about Hole in the Wall in the Mojave Preserve (California). Although, Utah is probably much prettier.

Hey Damara;

"Hole In The Wall" Calif is a good place to visit.

I love the history of the Mojave Desert, and of the old mines and railroads. You know, the "Orange Blossom Mine" is out there, as is the "Mojave Road". I have most of the books that document the roads and trails by Dennis Casebier, and if I remember correctly, he still lives in the old Goffs School House Building!

I would love to join up with you when you ride there. And don't miss the "Mitchell Caverns" when you are out that way. Will you come in via the Kelbaker Road? Or come in via Route 66/Hwy40?

Steve, AKA; Siseley

If coming in on Hwy 58, you'll probably go out Hwy 66/ 40.

That will bring you in at the entrance to Providence Mountains on the Mitchell Caverns side.

If you guys go out the 15 freeway, you will probably enter from Kelbaker road to the Orange Blossom Mine road. When are you planning the trip?

Perhaps I would meet you. Then ride the heck out of the area!

Will they also close the campground at Hole In The Wall?

We used to go out and dry camp in the desert around the area, and there were lots of opportunities to find good spots. I have always had to bring a lot of water as you know, there is NONE out that way except for at the cattle tanks and near the Rock House there used to water seasonally in Cedar Canyon.

I stopped by the Mojave Preserve - Hole In The Wall vicinity on my way home from Arizona. The Black Canyon Equestrian Campground is open. Horses aren't allowed in the actual Hole In The Wall campground. It was a nice spot, paved road all the way in. Water was running and functional. Ample parking. I really liked the way they had the corrals set up 6 feet apart so equines weren't too close to each other. I didn't make it all the way in to the Mid Hills equestrian facility. The road changed from paved to dirt right after the Hole In The Wall campground.

Damara!

As before you have given us a nice look at the camp ground and available areas.

Were you guys able to go take a look at any of the old mines and historical rail road? Lots of folks don't see the beauty in the desert, and also don't think it would have any significance in history. I love to go explore, and the eastern Mojave is one of my favorite places.

Ludlow is one of the places we stop at to just mosey around and look. It was a rail road storage, and at one time was a sizable town. Just like Randsburg in the El Pasos, and Vasquez Rocks down here, there is so much to our area.

Randsburg is one of our fav stops, and we will be out there this weekend, as well as planning a big camp/ride in February.

This is where we will camp, and will take the time to look for the petroglyphs and explore some of the old mining claims.

IMG_0177.jpg

some of the petroglyphs in the canyon

JohnnysandValleyofFire057.jpg

JohnnysandValleyofFire059.jpg

Old mine shaft

indiancave.jpg

Maybe some exploration of the formations at Red Rock can only be appreciated from afoot or horseback..

100_3746.jpg

100_3776.jpg

100_3741.jpg

RideatRedRockandLastChance002.jpg

Damara!

As before you have given us a nice look at the camp ground and available areas.

Were you guys able to go take a look at any of the old mines and historical rail road? Lots of folks don't see the beauty in the desert, and also don't think it would have any significance in history. I love to go explore, and the eastern Mojave is one of my favorite places.

Ludlow is one of the places we stop at to just mosey around and look. It was a rail road storage, and at one time was a sizable town. Just like Randsburg in the El Pasos, and Vasquez Rocks down here, there is so much to our area.

I wasn't able to do any exploring. I just did a quick layover on my way home. Did not even saddle my horse. I hope to go back soon.

Randsburg is one of our fav stops, and we will be out there this weekend, as well as planning a big camp/ride in February.

This is where we will camp, and will take the time to look for the petroglyphs and explore some of the old mining claims.

IMG_0177.jpg

some of the petroglyphs in the canyon

JohnnysandValleyofFire057.jpg

JohnnysandValleyofFire059.jpg

Old mine shaft

indiancave.jpg

Maybe some exploration of the formations at Red Rock can only be appreciated from afoot or horseback..

100_3746.jpg

100_3776.jpg

100_3741.jpg

RideatRedRockandLastChance002.jpg

I really love the Red Rock / Randsburg area. I was really hoping to make it through Nightmare Gulch before they closed for this season. I think a couple of ETI groups are headed to Red Rock this weekend, but it's not going to work for my schedule. I understand that hikers/horses are designated for the gulch first half of the month and bikers the second half. Then it closes for nesting end of January. So...I guess I'll have to wait until next year to do the Gulch.

Are you part of a club that will be going to the general area in February?

Red Rock Canyon State Park, California February 2011

Hi!

Yeah, the ETI group is heading for the park this weekend, and the 4x4 club I belong to is going to be at Goler Gulch for an annual camp Feb 16-19.

We hope to get up to Sheep Spring, and even out to Red Mountain and Cuddeback Lake. This year looks like a good one for riding and camping, as it may be that some previous areas may open for horses in the desert, even though they will remain closed for OHV's.

Hey hey Steve! Are you joining me on my Nightmare Gulch ride this Saturday? Dan's going to try to talk me into going through the tunnel under the 14...fun, fun.

I am hoping to come on the trip.

Linda is perhaps not going as she wants to go to Orange County and see her Mom.

Are you planning to start from the Talc mine side into "Bonanza Gulch", or from the "Red Rooster" side at the turnout from the 14?

Both sides have their pluses, but lots of easy parking ay the turn out is my favorite way.

100_3722.jpg

Steve, we're starting out from the Red Cliffs parking area, the first parking area inside the park from the south, just on the other side of the wash and before the Ricardo parking area.

I stopped by the Mojave Preserve - Hole In The Wall vicinity on my way home from Arizona. The Black Canyon Equestrian Campground is open. Horses aren't allowed in the actual Hole In The Wall campground. It was a nice spot, paved road all the way in. Water was running and functional. Ample parking. I really liked the way they had the corrals set up 6 feet apart so equines weren't too close to each other. I didn't make it all the way in to the Mid Hills equestrian facility. The road changed from paved to dirt right after the Hole In The Wall campground.

http://www.flickr.co...668951487/show/

We made it out to Hole In The Wall / Black Canyon Equestrian Camp this weekend. Saturday and Monday we had good weather. Sunday was pretty windy, but not blow-you-off-your-horse wind. We stopped by the visitor center & didn't head out on the trail until almost 11am. We rode from the Visitor Center via Barber Peak Loop, departed the loop at the Mid-Hills to Hole-In-The-Wall intersection, followed this to Mid-Hills campground, then back via Wild Horse Canyon road until we hit a dirt road(forgot the name) which connected us back onto Barber Peak loop trail (where we left off). We completed the Barber Peak loop trail and made it back into camp before dark.

The trail appears not to be heavily used. It was barely visible in some sections, but was well marked with the brown sign posts.

The trail had great footing the whole way. Mostly flat, with a few easy climbs. Nothing strenous or too technical.

Here's a youtube slideshow I put together from the Sunday ride.

The GPS track we followed is uploaded on Everytrail at http://www.everytrai...trip_id=1413986

Edited by damara

Gorgeous! Hey, how'd you do your pictures like that? I love it!

I put them on Flickr.com and then made a "photo set"