Stinger

I Think I Was Sold A Pregnant Pony

Oh this sucks :bang_head:

I bought a pony just over a month ago, as I've ALWAYS wanted a pony to scoot through poles with at local shows. Seemed really level headed an lovely, but our first ride she threw me, and now I have a screwed up disc in my back. I decided I'm done dealing with any horses but my dear Stinger till I got my confidence back so I was gonna sell her this spring, since it's so hard to sell horses in winter.

When I got her, she hadn't been trimmed in a year, was (I thought) wormy, as she had a belly, but I could easily feel every rib. Figured I'd deworm her, stuff her with food, and trim her and she'd be right as rain (she was probably a 4 on the scale, so nothing too hard to fix).

WELL. She's been dewormed twice, and I'm keeping hay in front of her as much as possible without my two air ferns stealing it, so she's gaining weight about as quickly as I expected. So today I'm feeling her over, seeing how things are going...and notice her tummy is BIG. Bigger than when I got her, which I expected the opposite after being dewormed... I can only feel 3 ribs now, so she IS gaining weight, but I wouldn't expect that big of a tummy if I can still feel ribs...

OH, CRUD :duh: She'd been kept on a property with a stud. These people thought it was OK to not trim for a year, and thought she was in "good weight" when she was really super ribby, you just couldn't see it under her pony winter coat. It wouldn't be a far stretch for them to not know how to properly fence in a stud.

My vet and trainer agree I have reason to worry, so ultrasound Thursday. I don't have the money or facilities for a foal, so rather than working with her this spring and hopefully making my money back from her, I'm just gonna have to bring her to the Christmas sale and take what I can get.

Sigh. I've had some really bad luck this year :( Thanks for letting me vent, cookies to anyone who reads this!

hmmm.. Get her ultrasounded to be make sure either way..if she is ..you need to give shots and watch her nutrition..if not..well its just a case of a full belly..HAYED horses have what looks to be a big belly because their intestines are full..hence the hay belly remarks..My mares look pregnant right now..not ribby ...they are eating hay non stop because of the cold weather..something horses do to burn calories for heat... PONIES..well they look chuby all the time unless they are used on a regular basis as they fall off of being fit..When the front and rear get out of shape, the bigger the belly looks..I have seen people with scored 4 horses say the horses are "fat..look at that belly!" Got a picture? how long have you had her and are you feeling a foal move around yet... My quarter horse palpated in foal and never produced, yet looked very pregnant..Ultra sound is your best bet..sell as a two for one special...

WHERES MY COOKIE!:happy0203:

AD

Here's your cookie, AD!

...I mean, your invisible cookie :winking:

Anywho, as soon as I suspected something I called the vet and setup an ultrasound appointment for tomorrow at 4. He thinks I have cause to worry, as does my trainer. Sigh. I was hoping they'd laugh at me and call me silly.

I've seen and had many a horse with a hay belly. This just doesn't FEEL right, it seems disproportionate. Then again, I've never had a pony (She IS 13.3 so isn't not like she's a tiny one). So yes, fingers crossed for that!! I've had her since October 5th, but haven't really worked with her much, just a daily check. No pictures yet, I'll try to snap a couple at feeding time tonight.

I forgot to take pics :duh: Tomorrow before the ultrasound, and I'll try to get a pic of the ultrasound screen too :grin:

Where are you, meeker?

ETA: Head shot of her first night home, she's a cute one to be sure...

IMAG0056.jpg

Edited by Stinger

Baby ponies are so cute! Sorry for you, but I can't wait!!!! I also see lots of 2 in 1 pkgs for sale around my area.

My question is, do 2 for 1s actually SELL? :confused0024: If I were on the market for a horse/pony it's the last thing I'd want. Vet will be here in half an hour, cross your fingers for me!!

Let us know how it turns out. For your sake I hope that she is not preggers. As for me.... I would not want a pony/ foal package... But thats just me at this point.

meeker...I'm half an hour away from WI :grin: '

Vet had to reschedule!! :bang_head: He's had emergencies all day. Got pics, though! None seem to really show how...big... her tummy is.

Full shot

IMAG0127-1.jpg

This looked like a good angle when I took the pic...

IMAG0131-1.jpg

From the frontish:

IMAG0130-1.jpg

The offending belly...just looks...low

IMAG0129-1.jpg

I'm sure gonna feel silly when we get that ultrasound and she's not preggers :crazy:

Well she's definitely beautiful, if I were a little smaller I would totally steal her! :winking:

The photos look like she could easily be out of shape and not pregnant. But the pics may not be showing everything of course...

Where's MY cookie? :happy0203:

Hope you guys are right!! I tend to overreact about this kinda thing...

I just don't understand how she's this fat and I can still feel ribs? Less than before but still more than I like. Better safe than sorry

And meeker if she's pregnant you can HAVE her! Lol. Then again there's the cost of the pregnancy and dialing vet visits... Blech. So not up to it.

Edited by Stinger

I'm thinking she does kinds look like she might be, but only a vet can confirm until there is a foal on the ground. :winking:

Did you rotate your wormer? Panacur hits some species of worms that ivermectin won't get...I *think* its roundworms.

DO IT MEEKER!! lol

Someone can ride the buck out of that mare (I'm guessing that's what she did to throw you Stinger??)...

I bet the foal will be cute!!

The pony did buck/throw me but she was pretty justified... She's young, green, and was in a new place with two dogs she didn't know running around.

The other threads of mine about a bucking horse is a different story all together... Much bigger horse with much bigger bucks. I won't get on THAT horse if you paid me but if the pony isn't preggo she's going back to work and prolly be pretty fun :D

I did ivermectin and then equimax, which my vet said is a broad spectrum dewormer.

She is very cute but i know im at my quota for horses right now however IF you do find out shes prego and want to sell/give her away im sure i can help you find a home for her i know quite a few people that would actualy be interested

I did ivermectin and then equimax, which my vet said is a broad spectrum dewormer.

It is a broad spectrum, but it's still got ivermectin in it. So it isn't a true rotation. When in doubt, always look at the active ingredient. Your most common ones are ivermectin, pyrantel pamoate, and fenbendazole. I would use Strongid (pyrantel pamoate) on her. And it would be safe if she is pregnant.

She is really cute btw!

A single dose of Panacur will not get everything that Ivermectin will. Only the Panacur powerpack will "out-do" ivermectin, and that's only by killing encysted strongyles. Ivermectin is typically used for just about everything, roundworms included, but primarily for Strongyles. Adult horses are rarely at risk for roundworms due to natural immunity. Its foals and youngsters that are typically at risk for rounds, and in all honesty, Strongid (pyrantel) is drug of choice. I personally am not a big fan of a single Panacur/Fenbendazole/Safeguard (all the same stuff) deworming. Love the Power Pack, don't care for single dosing on it. Ivermectin has been used safely with no ill effects on pregnant mare or foal. In fact, I do believe that Equimax (ivermectin/Praziquantal) is labeled for use in pregnant & lactating mares.

Incidentally, "rotational deworming" has now been implicated in inducing resistance in the parasites.

Meeker, she's for sale either way! (Let's keep this to messaging from now on so I don't get in trouble for trying to sell on the boards)

And the baby daddy would be a full sized QH... So really not a pony baby.

When I was deworming her I had no suspicion of pregnancy so I wasn't reading the label for that :/ Either way, vet will be here Saturday, so I can ask him about the worm situation, if there is one.

Still though, would a ribby horse have a hay belly? No one seems to answer that question lol

Yes ribby horses would have a hay belly. The feed goes where first? Then if she is pregos, that belly has even more of an excuse to stick out. :winking:

She is a pretty mare. Hope your good deed works out for you.

Incidentally, "rotational deworming" has now been implicated in inducing resistance in the parasites.

Can we talk about this some more, or can you share links for some reading? Thanks!

Ya know I think I saw a thread all about rotating dewormers vs doing fecals and deworming appropriately that CVM wrote a lot of info in, search horse health maybe? It kind of ended up turning into a debate, and then there was an article about it in one of my horse magazines right about the same time.

Driving myself nuts waiting for tomorrow morning...

I hope tomorrow turns out the way YOU want it, your little pony is an absolute doll, she doesn't need to be pregnant at all. For what it's worth, I don't think she looks pregnant either. Best wishes!