Sign in to follow this  
jackie2925

Tick Prevention Question

I've been in Georgia for the past year and a half and had NO problems with ticks or fleas. I kept both my dogs on Frontline Plus. I'm in Louisiana for 2 weeks and have found 2 ticks on Zeus, my American Bulldog.

What do you use to protect your pups?

Zeus is about 100 pds. The ticks I've found are very small. The latest one I found tonight only because I found a scab on his neck and when I moved the hair it came off. There was pus on it so I thought maybe a hot spot had started until I looked closer and in the middle of the big red circle, the size of a nickel, was a small tan tick. **** IT.....

My dogs stay inside. i walk them daily several times a day. How could I have missed this. Its on the top side of his about 1/2 inch above where I put his collar on every day.

I feel bad. I hope he doesn't get lyme disease from this.

HELP!!!!

Preventic collars, and/or the spot on stuff. We have 6 dogs, one outdoor cat, and 3 indoor cats and fleas are not a problem. Earlier this year the ticks were very bad, and the advantix was not working-i do still use it anyway. But the preventic collars are amazing. They are supposed to last about 3 months, i think it varies dog to dog though. I occasionally find a tick on my dog, but he runs through our woods chasing birds and squirrels and God only knows what else. I used to pick at least 5 ticks a day off of the big dogs, and now hardly any. Just watch your dog when u first put it on him to make sure he does not have a reaction, and make sure it is touching his skin all the way around his neck. You will probably get the best prices from Jeffers.

Ditto to Preventic collars-we're in the middle of deer tick/Lyme disease central and since we started using them haven't seen a SINGLE tick on the dogs. The problem with most spot ons is that the tick has to bite before it is killed by the product-where the preventic repels and kills on contact.