Sign in to follow this  
LostHorseRider

What Size Stirrup Irons?

Im looking at jointed/flexie irons (yes i know many of you hate them but my knees need a break)

What size to I get? I don't even know what size my current ones are...And I don't want to go out to the trailer in the dark to see what size they are :ashamed0002:

So what size? My paddock boots are size 11 if that matters.

Edit-What brands do yall like?

Thank you!!

Cookies to all!!

Edited by LostHorseRider

I personally wouldn't buy jointed/bendy irons. As a person that suffers chronic knee pain and reoccurring knee injuries.. they are NOT your friend, and will probably exacerbate pain.

I'll echo what Little Wing suggested.. I'd probably go with a 5, maybe a 5 1/4 if you're definitely going the bendy route.

I bought herm sprenger jointed irons in 07 for my ankles. They created knee pain that I didn't have before. I ended up selling them when my knee pain was so bad that I could barely walk once I got off the horse. I much prefer royal rider irons. They're composite with a wider foot bed. I don't have any joint pain from riding anymore.

Thanks guys.

When y'all went bendy did you go HS with the 4joints or cheap-o with just the single joint?

Both when I rode in Mr. Trainers lesson saddle and Boss/Trainer ladys saddle I got to ride with HS 4 whatever jointed irons. And I felt a lot better in them.

Of course who knows if it was the irons or the cushy CC saddles lol

I got the HS. My joints were fine for a while, but suddenly started hurting badly when I rode more often. I also don't feel very secure in them. I feel like my feet don't stay in the same place and I'm constantly adjusting them.

I have the HS 4 ways...

I also have two pairs of royal riders and a pair of the wildkat jin that I LOVE. The wider footbed is way more helpful than the bendy garbage.

When I knee was so bad I gave up on irons all together for a few months. Did wonders for my knee and position. Might have to do that again.

The HS irons are SUPER bendy... I have knee and ankle problems and don't use my HS irons because they make them worse sometimes. I actually prefer my MDC ultimates and my aluminum irons to the HS 4-way jointed irons. The ones with slight give really do help my ankles and knees. I had the knock-offs for a while, STA-BRITE were good ones, not too much give. DON'T get the Intec 6-way irons they are just as bendy.... but also aluminum or composite irons help a lot for some reason.

Ok Tahnks guys. What about the air footbed things? yay nay?

I didnt really think about the wide footbed. I have a pair on my endurance saddle that are like 4 or 5" deep and 5" wide with a 1" cushion that I love.

hmmmm

Yeah.... if you're going to spend $200+ on a pair of irons drop your money on the wildkart? wildkat? jin. The plastic ones break down eventually, and the bendy ones... gross. The jins are aluminum.

I used HS bendy irons for years thinking they were doing me a favor. When I noticed my leg position starting to get wonky I blamed it on riding only green horses. When I rode in a saddle with fillis irons I had a "taa-da!" moment when my leg felt so much more correct, and even more important I wasn't fighting as hard to try to accomplish the more correct position.

As far as size goes, I'm not sure what mine are. My feet are small, but I have been dragged before from childrens stirrups that were too small for me. I bought the biggest ones in the store after that incident, because being dragged was the most terrifying thing I have ever gone though. They aren't massive, but I'm sure they are a size or two bigger than what most small women riders would use.

If I could afford them I would love the Royal Riders.