Sign in to follow this  
Jack Baumgartner

Mold And Mildew On Leather

I've always used bleach or vinegar to remove mold and mildew from saddles and other tack. But, I may have found something better. I haven't used it yet but I'm going to. I watched a video of a guy cleaning the grout between tiles on a bathroom counter. He said Hydrogen Peroxide is the best thing there is to remove mold and keep it from coming back. He said there are a lot of things to use, but Hydrogen Peroxide is the only thing that kills the mold spores.

Sounded good to me. The local Kroger supermarket has Peroxide on sale for a dollar a quart. I plan to load up while it's cheap.

Hope this helps somebody. :smileywavey:

Won't it discolor the leather or were you planning on restaining anyway? Thank goodness I don't have to worry about mold much, just the leather drying out.

Won't it discolor the leather or were you planning on restaining anyway? Thank goodness I don't have to worry about mold much, just the leather drying out.

I haven't had leather discolored from the other things I've used on it, except when I'm deliberately using oxalic acid to remove stains from leather or to bleach the leather back to its original color. When I say stains, I don't mean dyues or things of that nature, but stains that come with use of leather, particularly saddles.

Oxalic acid use is really tricky, because the acid crystals must be dissolved it hot (not boiling) water, three teaspoons to one cup of water. I use an old toothbrush to work the solution into the leather in small circles until I see the color changing, then I move on to another spot, while keeping the already worked-on leather wet with the solution. When the leather color has completely changed and the solution has had a chance to work in, I put the piece into water with vinegar in it. The vinegar acts as a neutralizer on the acid. On a saddle, I just use sponges or rags to wash the leather with the vinegar/water solution.

First time I tried it, I took an old rear billet off a saddle and did just half the length with the acid solution, then neutralized it with vinegar water and hung it up to dry. The next day the part that had been treated was light-colored, like a new saddle.

I really appreciate how you pass on your experience with leather working.

Both the vinegar, and the hydrogen peroxide make good sense to me, and have worked well for me, in other applications.

We have T1 eleven wood siding on our ranch, which was showing some mold growth on the north side. I sprayed straight white vinegar on it three times, in a seven day period, and no new growth has occurred.

On our ceramic tile bath surround, and also on the cast iron tub, cream of tartar mixed with just enough hydrogen peroxide to make a thin watery paste that will cling to those surfaces, left on for at least an hour, and then lightly rubbed, don't scrub, while rinsing it off, has kept them clean, shining, and mold free, since we built the house in 1981.

Indianshuffler ~ I'd forgotten about cream of tarter. I've used it to brighten up the inside of aluminum cookery. Aluminum will darken from some things we cook in it, and cream of tarter, added to a pan full of boiling water(about two tablespoons), will brighten things up better than a lot of time scrubbing. Thanks.

Edited by Jack Baumgartner

Jack

Thats a new use for it on me. Thank you, and feel free to call me Sally, if you wish. After all, we're almost neighbors :smileywavey:

I use vinegar in my tea pot overnight to clean out the stuff that accumulates inside it.

Have you ever used mothers mag and aluminum polish on any of your saddles metal parts? So far, this is my favorite product to use.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/13/125/30672/ITEM/Mothers-Mag---Aluminum-Polish.aspx?SITEID=Google_Mothers_Mag_&_Aluminum_Polish&WT.mc_ID=10001&WT.srch=1&esvt=GOUSB340915421&esvadt=999999-0-4007832-1&esvid=400070

Edited by Indianshuffler

Jack

Thats a new use for it on me. Thank you, and feel free to call me Sally, if you wish. After all, we're almost neighbors :smileywavey:

I use vinegar in my tea pot overnight to clean out the stuff that accumulates inside it.

Have you ever used mothers mag and aluminum polish on any of your saddles metal parts? So far, this is my favorite product to use.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/13/125/30672/ITEM/Mothers-Mag---Aluminum-Polish.aspx?SITEID=Google_Mothers_Mag_&_Aluminum_Polish&WT.mc_ID=10001&WT.srch=1&esvt=GOUSB340915421&esvadt=999999-0-4007832-1&esvid=400070

Sally ~ Thank you! I had a sweetie named Sally when I was young. Neighbors, huh? I live in Lambertville (Monroe County); where do you live?

Mother's mag and aluminum polish. Where would I find it? At an auto supply store? Right now I'm using some stuff I picked up when I was at Weaver Leather this past summer. I just did all the bling on three show halters I plan to sell at a friend's tack sale at her barn in Northville. The stuff comes in a tube and semed to work okay.

We have T1 eleven wood siding on our ranch, which was showing some mold growth on the north side. I sprayed straight white vinegar on it three times, in a seven day period, and no new growth has occurred.

Sounds like an old saying about moss on trees. My old friend Mountain Bob was going up the hill on the thing that takes skiers to the top at Boyne Mountain. Mickey, who shared the chair-lift, said , "Well, Mountain Bob, give me some outdoorsman, mountain lore."

Bob, not the talky type, replied, "The tree always grows on the south side of the moss."

Jack

I'm the gal who lives east of Milan.

I get mothers at Wal Mart, but I imagine any auto supply store should carry it.

Have enjoyed your life experience, and sense of humor, in stories ever since I joined this forum

Jack

I'm the gal who lives east of Milan.

I get mothers at Wal Mart, but I imagine any auto supply store should carry it.

Have enjoyed your life experience, and sense of humor, in stories ever since I joined this forum

East of Milan? Then you must also live in Monroe County. Funny we haven't met. Did you ever go to the horse auction in Belleville? Bob closed it up in '92 after Denny Reaume got killed when his horse kicked him in the chest at the Fenton sale. He said the way kids ran around on sale nights, if one got kicked by a horse he'd be finished financially. Bob still has the saddle shop and store at the old place.

My stories. I exchange e-mails just about every day with a woman I haven't seen in about fifty years. I used to run with her old cowboy dad, Deke Zuver. She loves to have me tell about something that happened way back when. I was just a young buck, but Deke took a liking to me and said he liked that I didn't want to hurt a horse when giving it an attitude adjustment.

We had an old railroad crew car sitting on a little rise in Lost Nation for a cabin. That was roughing it. We had to get our water fron a spring down the road, we had no electricity, but we had a cookstove that ran on bottled gas. Guys liked to come there and hang out. There was always plenty of beer. We just had a kerosene lantern for light at night.

Our property ajoins Monroe County, but we are actually in Augusta Township. My hubby has been into Apps since the mid sixties from this same family farm location. We may not have met, but if you have been to the county fair, back when the mounted division still worked it, or saw us at any parades, or other duties, I ride the only Appaloosa in the unit.

Yes, we've been to the auction in Belleville, and the Fenton one too, when they were both still going on. My daughters high school equestrian team, years ago, had their meets at the fair grounds next door to his place.

Lost Nation Iowa area?

Our property ajoins Monroe County, but we are actually in Augusta Township. My hubby has been into Apps since the mid sixties from this same family farm location. We may not have met, but if you have been to the county fair, back when the mounted division still worked it, or saw us at any parades, or other duties, I ride the only Appaloosa in the unit.

Yes, we've been to the auction in Belleville, and the Fenton one too, when they were both still going on. My daughters high school equestrian team, years ago, had their meets at the fair grounds next door to his place.

Lost Nation Iowa area?

Last thing first: Lost Nation area in Hillsdale County, south of Pittsford and Osseo. So-called because that's where the Potowatomie(sp?) Indians were winter-camped when they were being forced west to Iowa. I think there's still a monument at the corner of Waldron Rd. and Squawfield Rd.

Doesn't the Mounted Unit work the fairgrounds any more? I used to sneak in the fair by telling the guy at the gate that I was going to the posse barn. I'd park by the barn, go into the barn to say hello to some friends and then go enjoy the fair. I told people that I was an associate non-member of the posse. When I got out of the Air Force in '66 I swore I'd never wear another uniform. I'd have joined if I could wear a white cowboy shirt and blue jeans.

I sold a few horses to some posse members. Let's see, a palomino to Becky Green, A Foxtrotter to Lois Bivens, a bay gelding named Spencer to Orrin Tyson.

One posse member I couldn't satisfy. She wanted a walking horse. I found a total of four horses and she wouldn't speak up on any of them. Two of them sold to other posse members. The last horse she called and asked if she could make payments. I told her we didn't buy them that way. I've stood just a few feet from her and she won't acknowledge me. Strange.

No, the mounted division hasn't worked the fair in several years now. We were told it was due to financial concerns by the fair board. Lee, is the guard who is usually on the gate by the barn. Very nice guy. One of the names you mentioned was still with the unit in the mid 90s when I was appointed.

Not familiar with that Michigan native American tribes history. My MIL was a full blooded Ojibwe from the UP

No, the mounted division hasn't worked the fair in several years now. We were told it was due to financial concerns by the fair board. Lee, is the guard who is usually on the gate by the barn. Very nice guy. One of the names you mentioned was still with the unit in the mid 90s when I was appointed.

Not familiar with that Michigan native American tribes history. My MIL was a full blooded Ojibwe from the UP

Was your mother from Sugar Island? I knew some people from there; McKerchie, LaSage and Lecoy.

I like white vinegar for mold - I'll have to try the hydrogen peroxide. Thanks!

Yeah, I have a brand-new pair of fenders and stirrup leathers for a Circle Y barrel racing saddle that have a tendency to mildew. I'm gonna try the peroxide on them and see how it works.

Funny about how I came to get them. A gal asked me to find some for her. When I found these, she said she'd already found some on her own. I'll bet she paid the long dollar for the ones she got! You'd have thought she'd let me know so I could stop looking.

Was your mother from Sugar Island? I knew some people from there; McKerchie, LaSage and Lecoy.

Her family was originally from Bay Mills Indian Community, but her mother married a man from the Keweenaw Bay Indian Community, and she grew up there. Hope I have my history right.

Will be interested to hear how well, and how long, the hydrogen peroxide works on leather.

Have you tried the mothers yet?

Her family was originally from Bay Mills Indian Community, but her mother married a man from the Keweenaw Bay Indian Community, and she grew up there. Hope I have my history right.

Will be interested to hear how well, and how long, the hydrogen peroxide works on leather.

Have you tried the mothers yet?

What mothers? Huh?

mothers mag and aluminum polish

Sorry Jack, I didn't mean to mother you too much :rotf:

Sorry I failed to make the connection. I did stop at the hardware today to buy a couple of mousetraps. I'd bought a couple a while back but can't remember what I did with the second one. The first one caught about 15-16 mice before it went to heck. See, we bought this place a couple of years ago but haven't tried to sell the old place because real estate is in the dumper in Michigan right now. I finally moved here in June of 2010 after my wife found me on the floor at the old place, near death, according to the emergency room doctors.

Anyway, I still go over there every day to feed the barn cats and work on saddles. Since the place has sat empty, the mice have had free rein and have made a mess of things. Hence, the mousetraps. I'd hate to have them feasting on horse tack. The place has become my place to work on saddles and I have a slew of them in various stages of rehab.

Hasta whenever

I hear you about real estate in Michigan Jack.

Glad you lived through your near death experience.

Nice to have a separate place to work your saddles in. Have you thought about going electronic trap on your mice problem?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200128624_200128624

Nah, I just take them out the back door and one of the barn cats sits there in anticipation of the mouse falling out of the trap. The traps cost about 65 cents apiece.

I could say something about a near-death experience I told my sister about when I was coming out from the anesthesia back in the spring of '97 when I had surgery to remove my pituitary gland from the bottom of my brain pan. But, this board is kind of strict about what can be said so I'd better err on the side of caution and keep it to myself.

Could be we'll meet in person one of these days. You'll have to tell me about it then. :winking:

Yes, we'll have to do that sometime.

Hey, I tried some peroxide on a Simco saddle I was cleaning up yesterday. I noticed a little haze of mildew low on one fender and some on the stirrup leathers. I may not get a chance to see if the mildew comes back, because I'm mulling the idea of taking the saddle to the dealers' auction at the fairgrounds in Adrian.

If I can figure out how to send a PM with this new system, I'll tell you about my near-death experience while under anesthesia in the operating room. I think it's a chuckler.

Jack you remind me very much of a fella I know from back home in north east Indiana, knows everyone and has a story for everything too.

I find myself living on the west side of Lansing these days, may have to find our selves in the same place at some point.

On the original topic, my sister had a very soft English saddle for a while just prone to mildew. Straight vinegar wouldn't do it in, but a 50-50 mix of vodka and vinegar did the trick just fine, plus setting it in full sunlight as it dried seemed to help too. We were trying to get rid of that crud for months, only that particular saddle though. odd.

Edited by MarsCandyBar

MARS - Perhaps that will happen. I don't seem to travel as much as I once did. I used to be at a lot of the horse auctions when I was trading horses. Now I hardly ever go. I go to a dealers' tack auction in Adrian at the fairgrounds now on the first Thursday of the month. It starts at 10:00 AM and goes until everything is sold, sometimes into the evening. If you find the time, come on down! It's friendly, a potluck lunch is served and everyone is very friendly. Coffee, soda pop and bottled water are free. There's even a door prize drawing at the end of the sale. I usually take some shaved ham and buns for stacked ham sandwiches.

I went to the auction yesterday and it was over by 2:00 in the afternoon. A couple of the dealers didn't make it. One called and said his outfit broke down somewhere in Indiana. He called later to say his outfit was good to go , but it was too late and he was heading back home. I did get a new cowboy hat, a Bailey, tan (silver belly?), in the Ty Murray style. Got it for a measly $35.00. You can get some good deals on tack there.

I may have to do that in the spring, I may be traveling to Ohio in April for a clinic, right past that area. I also run at 3 Bar B in Adrian from time to time.

I may have to do that in the spring, I may be traveling to Ohio in April for a clinic, right past that area. I also run at 3 Bar B in Adrian from time to time.

3 Bar B ..... is that at Beaubien's, not far from Cadmus?

No idea, I follow the GPS, its the only place in the area we go, and I'm rarely at the wheel at that. They hold weekly rodeos in the winter on Saturday nights and bi weekly in the summer. Laid up at the moment from a busted wrist, otherwise we might be down soon.