Eskielvr

Can You Train A Horse...

To not poop/pee in its stall?

Piper has a stall that is about 14x16. There is an attached run that is about 18x34?? that she has access to 24/7. However, she pretty much only pee's and poops in the stall. I wouldn't mind it so much, but the place is old, and has compacted dirt floors. She pee's in the same spot so much that there is now a hole there and it has standing pee in it. I have tried feeding her in a tub that is out in the run instead of in her trough that is in the stall, but it doesn't make a difference.

Some one suggested to me to feed her on the stall floor, as horses won't poo where they eat, but the floor is such a mess that I won't be able to do that until summer when the ground dries.

Does anyone else have any suggestions???

Edited by Eskielvr

I would feed her in a bin on her stall floor....maybe that will make her go out to her turnout to pee....IDK, my gelding used to pee in the same spot all the time and I had to put some powdered stuff on the ground where he peed. It was food grade so it wouldn't hurt him and it would absorb some liquid and harden and it also kept the flies away. Let me think, can't remember the name of the stuff...I'll look it up.

Ok, remembered....Perma Guard, It's like powdered calcium or something. I would just take a coffee can full and shake it on the wet spot when I cleaned the stall. Maybe you could put some shavings down or something?

Yes you can but it takes a lot of work. Some horses are just stall pigs....and you deal with it. Try bedding the stall with a couple bags of shavings or those pelleted newspaper things...they soak up a huge amount of pee. You still have to clean it out daily but you dont' have puddles or urine odor.

Yes you can but it takes a lot of work. Some horses are just stall pigs....and you deal with it. Try bedding the stall with a couple bags of shavings or those pelleted newspaper things...they soak up a huge amount of pee. You still have to clean it out daily but you dont' have puddles or urine odor.

Oh, I am dealing, but everytime I clean, I end up getting some of the stall floor out to. Prety soon, I am going to have a hole to China. Lol :-)

I am going to get some shavings to help soak up the urine and absorb some of the smell.

Oh, I am dealing, but everytime I clean, I end up getting some of the stall floor out to. Prety soon, I am going to have a hole to China. Lol :-)

I am going to get some shavings to help soak up the urine and absorb some of the smell.

What and how much are you using for bedding in her stall now?

What and how much are you using for bedding in her stall now?

There is nothing in her stall at this point. We do not board at a typical "barn/stable". The BM really frowns on the shavings as they don't till into the pasture as well as the plain manure. We don't have a manure pile or waste removal.

This place is a parcel of land that an elderly lady owns. Her SIL manages it for her. There is an actual barn that houses 5 horses and then there are stalls built up around the barn that house 8 additional horses. I have been there a year and never even seen the owner. And we see the SIL about 1 a month or so. We are responsible for all our own care and repair of our stalls and sheds. I will be the one to truck in gravel and dirt to fill the hole in her stall this coming summer and I am the one that has to run wiring underground to get electricity to my shed. I have to use a flashlight at this time. No one there uses any kind of bedding at all, and Piper is one of the only horses that uses her stall for poop and pee.

I will use enough shavings to soak up the urine and keep the hole from getting much bigger, but wont use more than that.

So what does Piper have for a comfy place out of the weather and dry and soft to lay down and sleep on? If you are going to have a stall you really need to bed it with something or you will be digging out huge holes of wet dirt. It is important that a stall area have absorbing material to keep feet dry and reduce the chances of thrush, to keep their coat relatively clean so it can fluff up and keep them warm if they aren't being blanketed and to keep ammonia down to reduce risk to their respiratory system. Horses need a certain amount of lay down, stretch out flat sleep time...its when they get their REM sleep. Lack of being able to do that in a comfortable environment would lead to possible behavior problems as well as stresses the horse and makes them more inclined to things like ulcers. In addition, laying on dry dirt is one thing but laying where there is moisture is going to cause sores on hocks and elbows. Really....a stall that size would need probably 3-4 bags of shavings to make it right for the horse....you can sort of rake them up along the edges of the stall during the day time and pull them down to make a bed for her at night and just clean out the wet areas and solid waste daily. Once nicely bedded you'd probably need to just put in one or two more bags a week to keep it nice. Shavings compost just fine and will break down on fields. If this is the kind of care being provided I'd find another place...your horse is not being cared for well with the little amount of space you mention and no bedding. That's just not right.

Eskie, hopefully you can get that hole filled. Then I would use stall mats or stall skins. Then maybe try the pelleted bedding. I have been using the wood pellets (the kind for burning in stoves).

You could try the pellets now, too. At least then the hole would be filled with pellets that would soak up the urine. You'd just need to scoop out the soaked pellets, and maybe the hole wouldn't keep getting deeper.

I put a fairly thin layer of pellets down, then shavings over that. So far that's worked great. I have stall skins that allow urine to drain through, but it doesn't drain at all in the winter. It freezes. So far the pellets soak up all the urine and lets the shavings above stay dry. I only have to clean every other day.

I just started doing this, so I may have to adjust the amount of pellets I'm using, though.

I wish I could train my two to pee outside too!

If she is only peeing in one spot...it is actually a blessing.

Stall mats in that spot...

I have a horse that pees in one place and it is so easy to clean it out b/c all I have to do is clear that one spot, disinfect it with bleach in spray bottle, then move bedding back over it, pick the random biscuits and then ( he is a spinner...meaning he moves all his shavings onto the walls area and leaves the middle section practically empty of bedding) so I push the stuff back into the middle from off the walls and VOILA...

it is like new shavings put down all over again.

If he was a bonafied pig...pees all over the place, this would not be so ideal.

The only person I know who has it soooo good with her horse is Possum.

Her horse Crush pees in one tiny spot near the back wall next to the ditch line ( we have ditch lines outside the windows of the stalls that drain into the big ditch in the pasture and out to the city ditch).

Possum has a 'toilet' like set up in that spot that when Crush pees, it falls out into the ditchline.

Sooooooo jealous... she puts new shavings in her stall once a year or so.

He also poops right by the door...every single biscuit in same small area. The poop spot is directly diagonal from the 'toilet"....and the horse NEVER changes the program..

All she has to do is scoop the biscuits without even having to get into the stall, swish some of the dry dry dry stuff around...maybe...and reaffirm the hole is working properly.

The horse never even walks near it...so it never risks collapse. He will walk down the wall line to the corner, take a tight right turn, stop and pee, then move clear outta the way....

I HATE HER... :angry: ( lol) :happy0203:

We put ag limestone in our stalls every year to level them back out and help with drainage. Mats are the BEST investment we ever made. We got one set for free from a friend tearing out a weight room that had industrial locking mats. Our mare would pee right in the middle of her stall prior to the mats. No matter what we put in to fill in the hole (dirt, lime, shavings), it always came back. With the mats, no more hole. She even centralized her pee spot over where the poo spot is. Last year we went ahead and spend the money to mat the other two stalls. It takes so much less time to clean than it use to.

Shavings till/spread into/onto the ground just fine. Straw is the only bedding that we had issues with for removal. We have a couple people with flower gardens and regular gardens that come pick up our manure by the truckloads. We also have a small spreader that pulls behind a 4-wheeler and a mid-size one that pulls behind the tractor. Never had a problem with the shavings clogging up or not spreading out with the manure

I have stalls that have a conected paddock to them. The stalls have rubber mats in them and the paddocks have tree sand in them. The horses rarely go in the stall, prefer to go out into the paddock and sleep out in the sand as well. Something to consider.

does anyone do or heard of 'rice hulls' as bedding.

I saw one lady use them way back in early 80's...but never since.

I was young so I didn't pay attention to the logistics of using them.

Anyone know?

I can imagine they would be biodegradable since they are natural.

?? :confused0024::questionicon:

Too Funny, My Mini Mare is out with her gelding during the day in a 3/4 acre paddock, Just the two of them, she is put away at night for dietary reasons (She gets grass only, and at night he gets his alfalfa, during the day they are both on grass hay) She will actually go to her stall to go potty.. Even during the day! I can not put saw dust down as it is in no way closed (wind would blow it out in a heartbeat), just a walk in comfy spot, However I do put down straw, I find it compacts enough to keep a top layer dry for bedding, and then I make sure it is cleaned out to the ground every 2 weeks or so depending on how wet it is. sometimes we add to the layer down to create a higher platform of a sort. and when it dries out again clean it to the ground, and lay down new. This works well, and the horses actually sleep on it.. However Tawny Still goes potty on it. Daniel does out in the paddock, he has 4 places he likes to go. Tawny, In her stall she goes.

CCH: I can assure you that Piper is not lacking in any type of care. My vet, my farrier and my trainer are all extremely satisfied with the way I take care of her. She gets plenty of lay down flat out REM sleep. I have seen her sleeping in the dirt run, get up, walk into the stall, pee and then go back out into the run and lay back down to sleep. Her run is plenty big enough for her to stretch out in and its protected from the wind partially from buildings.

I am working on getting the hole filled and compacted so that I can find some kind of mats to use in there. I will just for now use shavings to absorb what urine I can.

From your description......(I have seen her sleeping in the dirt run, get up, walk into the stall, pee and then go back out into the run and lay back down to sleep).....the horse is making a concerted effort to go in one particular spot. Unfortunately it's a dumb inconvenient spot.

Help her build a new habit by FORCING her to find a new most favorite spot and see what happens.

Block off the run in shed for a week and feed directly in front of the opening to it.

........just a thought.

As an experiment almost.

From your description......(I have seen her sleeping in the dirt run, get up, walk into the stall, pee and then go back out into the run and lay back down to sleep).....the horse is making a concerted effort to go in one particular spot. Unfortunately it's a dumb inconvenient spot.

Help her build a new habit by FORCING her to find a new most favorite spot and see what happens.

Block off the run in shed for a week and feed directly in front of the opening to it.

........just a thought.

As an experiment almost.

This is what I was thinking about doing. I have been hesitant to do it during the winter, but our weather hasn't been bad, so I might start it now...

Stall mats. Stall Fresh bedding or absorbent pelleted bedding works best. Also, barn lime will clear up any and all ammonia stink. You can get 50lb bags of it at any feed supply place for less than 10 bucks..and the bag lasts a pretty long time.

When I worked at a barn that had stalls with a run off them the stalls had mats no other bedding just thick soft mats. To train the horses to go outside we would scoop the poop up and put it in a pile out in the run. After a few weeks any horse but a few random not so bright horses would be pooping outside. Now idk about the pee though. They tended to pee outside in the dirt anyway. And once a month or so we would take the tractor and scoop everything out of the runs down to the clay and put in some fresh sand.

(now this barn was on a HUGE ranch so they just scooped the stuff up used it to fill wash outs and found some fresh sand somewhere it was getting to deep and put it in the runs)

Update.. If anyone is interested. I locked Piper out of her stall for the past week. Had to reopen it a couple of night ago due to storm we had rolling in. There was no pee in it the next morning. Yay!!! The weather has cleared, so she is back out in the run. I will keep her out there as long as possible to hopefully retrain her on where to pee. She has one spot that she is going in now, so hope to get her to keep that up. :)

Edited for spelling

Edited by Eskielvr

Then maybe try the pelleted bedding. I have been using the wood pellets (the kind for burning in stoves).

Is that cheaper? I pay about 6 bucks for a 40-lb bag of Equine Fresh, and haven't seen stove pellets cheaper. What's the secret?

Whoop !

And next?

.............the flush toilet.

LOL

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

and when that happens I am going on the road!

Come to my place first!!!! I have 2 boarders horses that do the same exact thing your horse does. They will even poop in their water tank, no matter where I put it!! We have hard clay in my area, so I like to have shavings in their stalls for them to lay down in. 2 of my 3 horses do not use their stall as a restroom, unless the weather outside is bad. my one gelding, he has ALWAYS pooped and peed in his stall, regardless if there are shavings in there or not. Funny thing, in the bad weather, I prefer that they poop/pee in the stalls as I can clean the stalls daily. The pens, well, they get messy because things have frozen up.

If I have a compost pile going in the corner of the pasture Eyore will always back up it and poop like he is trying to keep the pasture clean. He just started it on his own though. If he knew I wanted him to do it he would probably go everywhere but there.

I had a cat once that started using the toilet after my dad said no more litter box in the house. He said she could just go outside in the snow like the others, but she hated snow. One day my step brother walks into the bathroom and saw her tinkling in the toilet. He freaked out because he saw a girl go potty (he was only ~10 years old).