Sign in to follow this  
KyKy14SpeedHorse03

Stallions

In the future... I plan to own a stallion again.. A home-bred, performing machine...

When I look at a stallion, I choose them from Conformation, Pedigree, Performance, Foal Crops, and then last, Color.

I'm hoping to raise a nice stud colt out of my Streakin Six/Beduino mare, but who knows, I may only get fillies! Anyway, I want a barrel prospect/racing prospect.

With that said, when this future colt hits the ground, what steps should I take to get this stallion known in the performance field? If he's a slow grower, I don't think he will hit the race track.

Also, which stallions would you breed to, and why? What catches your attention about them? Is a breed performance record better than an organization record?

I think that if it was me i would just think which bloodlines i would like to have on my foal if i was breeding to the "future" stallion....

i am a HUGE fan of the streakin six/ bediuno type horses when crossed with the First down dash lines or Easy Jet kinda lines.... i am not a huge fan of breeding for the "fad" but i like the horses that are consistant producers and whos get are consistantly winning.

i really don't know what to do as far as getting him into the proformance field...

i am going to keep a eye on this topic becase i am purchasing a foal as soon as its born and ive got all my fingers and toes crossed that it is a stud colt,(stud is MarthaSixMoons/six Fols/chicks Gay breeding the mare is Streakin La Jolla/streakin Six/ Runaway Winner breeding)

..... my plan for him if it is a colt or even if it is a filly, i will be starting him as a 3 yr old and i will higher a trainer that is reputable in the barrels and that will have a "name" behind them to show him for me for a little while... it will cost a little money but it will get my stallions name out there with someone people know... and if hes winning as a young horse people will watch him as he grows... and i also think that well done posters, and word of mouth are the best... just tell everyone and anyone that you have a stallion, you never know who they know!

good luck !!!!!

Edited by Walking On Acid

This is not personal experience speaking, although it does make sense to me logically, but it's what I've read on most breeding boards.

First you breed the best to the best, so your mare sounds like she has the lines, confo, performance record, etc so don't breed her to some unknown stud for your own stallion prospect unless you want to sink a ton of money into campaigning and advertising. Breed to a stud with good lines, an impecible record (track record if that's where you're planning to head), and the conformation to compliment your mare.

Second, campaign that young one. Don't take him along too quick and sour him, but don't wait until he's 5 KWIM? It also depends if you're going for a futurity barrels horse or not. If you plan to market for futurities, your boy will have to show he has the mind to come up that quickly. Some other things to consider if you're looking for other avenues outside of racing and barrels is performance halter and driving. If you're going to market for track mares, your boy will need some record on the track. If he's a slow grower, you might be able to get away with missing the track if his sire has a record and you offer discount/free breedings to approved mares.

Third, get some of his foals on the ground early, but make sure they're again to the best mares. These might have to be mares you have purchased just for these test crops and then get them going. Depending on how your boy does on track/arena this might not be as critical, but I think it is if you want longevity in the breeding shed. Once those foals are of age, start campaigning them too.

Fourth, when you open to outside breeders, don't start at a stud fee in the same realm of his sire or more than likely you won't get bookings. Enroll in stallion service auctions, IF's, etc. Once his get start performing, that's when you can start raising the stud fees. Also, be strict about his first 3-5 years of bookings. You want quality foals who will be campaigned to boost his records. After he's established you can open your books more, but I think if you want to quickly build a name for him you have to be critical.

Finally, I would recommend that you stay off forums discussing him, or be very level headed and not get into passionate arguments. Just recently I have seen 2 SO's who's image has been tarnished due to their actions and reactions on different breeding boards.

Lastly, I would like to make a personal request that you only breed for AQHA and hopefully to a match that won't produce loads of white so us ApHC folks have some good crossing potential. :winking:

My plans were to futurity the horse, but only if he was mentally and physically ready to do so. I know not all horses mature at the same rate, and I don't want to sour him, let alone ruin him. I'd like to get him broke late in his 2 year old year, and just trail ride lightly for the rest of the year to get him used to stepping over logs, crossing creeks, etc. (I'm BIG on a horse that can go down the trail when you ask, or step into the arena and shine.)

I'd probably, once again only if he is ready, start fine-tuning him to rollbacks, sidepasses, pivots, etc, the beginning of his 3 year old year. About mid-way through his 3rd year, I'd start introducing him to the barrel pattern, tons and tons and tons of walking and asking him to step off, etc. Maybe start increasing the speed late in his 3 year old year, nice jog, and easy collected lope. I'd begin exhibitioning him in the beginning of his 4 year old year to prepare him for late summer-fall futurities.

Now this is ONLY if he is mentally and physically ready. I've got a brilliant little mare who will start her more intensive barrel training this year, and she will be 5 in April, she was just not physically ready enough. I wanted her to fill out a bit more (she was very malnourished when we first brought her home at 2). I do most of my training myself, but I think if I was promoting a good stallion prospect, I'd send him to a very reputable trainer mid-way through his 3yr old year to start prepping him for his futurity career.

I want a SOUND & SANE stud. Not one that's blown up and broke down, so I'm not going to push him if he is simply not ready. I wouldn't want to be pushed. :)

My question on sires... Would you cross this race-bred mare with a more cow-bred horse if your main intentions was promoting a barrel sire? This mare is smoking fast and very athletic, but she is a bit on the hot side.

My choices for stallion crosses would be:

Suchanimage (APHA)

Alive N Firen

Streakin Ta Fame

A Streak Of Fling

MH Primetime (APHA)

Chasin Firewater

Howelling Corona (aka the famous Mr. Jasper)

Fuel Charger

French Too Fame (absolutely love this young stallion!)

A Dash Of Color

Frenchmans Roan Jet (put together wonderfully!)

My concern is getting too much Streakin Six Blood, lol. However, I love the bloodline, so of course my favorite stallions will have that bloodline. Plus, if it was double bred Streakin Six, I could call him Streakin Twelve. :rotf:

I don't mind having to campaign and promote my stallion. I want to get him out there and make him a household name. A big feat, but I'm willing to try. :grin:

While you have a noble thought and plan, here's a little reality to sprinkle in with it. If you don't go with a proven sire, many will think that your stallion is a fluke and won't pass it on. So not only will you have to bust bum proving him, you'll also need to carefully select mares to breed to him, and then get the foals out campaigning too, probably with little income coming in the way of stud fees to offset it, and if it turns out it is a fluke (hey, breeding is a cr@pshoot), then you've got nothing.

If you go with a proven sire, then you can more than likely get better bookings right off the bat, and also have a higher likelihood of your guy being that solid performer/campaigner. You can always take one of his fillies and breed her to one of the above not as recognized stallions that you like once they gain more of a rep.

As for the barrel lines, I am not as hip on what is actually producing the rate-ability, and calmness that doesn't take off the speed, but if you PM me, I can point you to a board and a few members who could.

good information Apps...

of the studs you have said would be prospects, the ones i as afellow barrel racer would like with the breeding of your mare would be

My choices for stallion crosses would be:

Suchanimage (APHA) - i am a HUGE fan of this horse but if you breed to a pain stud, your colt comes out a paint, and alot of people have a crazy thinking line that paints arent QH ... i love my paints and this is an amazing stud but i think in the QH circuit it would really limit your customers as people don't want solid foals which you would probally get from a Qh/paint cross.....

Alive N Firen

Streakin Ta Fame

A Streak Of Fling - AMAZING STALLION that is producing sane trainable winning off spring

MH Primetime (APHA)

Chasin Firewater- also another awesome stud, althought i wasn't overly impressed with the way he ran in the NFR

Howelling Corona (aka the famous Mr. Jasper)

Fuel Charger

French Too Fame (absolutely love this young stallion!)

A Dash Of Color-

Frenchmans Roan Jet (put together wonderfully!)

the rest are good.. but thats just my thoughts on them... if i was looking at a stud to breed my mare to and i saw Jasper, streak of fling or dash of color on the pedigree crossed with your mare, i would definatly take a second maybe a third look and look into the location etc of the stud.

Don't forget disposition and trainability while you are looking. The rest doesn't mean a lot if you end up with an ugly natured beast you can't handle without a big club.