Sign in to follow this  
horsecrazy1234

Skin Disorder

A week or two ago I noticed a spot on my pony's chest that was red and oozy- found a tick in the area so I took it out cleaned the area with betadine and put some ointment on it- this spot has since healed. A couple days ago I noticed a spot on his neck that was red and oozy- I cleaned it up with betadine and put some ointment on it and started to search on what it could be. Today I went out to ride, and noticed he had another one of these red oozy spots on his face, which was not there yesterday when I rode him. I cleaned the area with betadine and put some anti-fungal spray on the spot. I would shave the area around each of the wounds but he is not very good with clippers- I did cut some of the hair away from the one on his face with scissors. Does anyone know what this might be? Pictures are attached of the wound on his neck and face. The pictures of the one on his face are post spray.

Face:

post-6054-0-08091400-1324849818_thumb.jpg

post-6054-0-65476900-1324849825_thumb.jpg

Edited by horsecrazy1234

They look like tick bites. Most of the time, if you look really close, you can see a tiny hole in the center of the wound; even after you clean it. That's where the tick attached itself.

Ticks don't die when winter gets here, the little weasels burrow into the dirt. If you've had some half way warm days with sunshine, that will put them on the move again.

My horses generally get Lone Star ticks but they seem to be done for the season. I am finding deer ticks on them on warm days. By warm, I mean anything above 45 degrees and the sun is shining :unsure:

Face and neck are typical spots to find ticks and while you're checking, don't forget to check under the forelock and between the ears.

You're in New Jersey? Is Lyme disease a huge problem in your area? If it is keep an eye on your horse and try to check him every day for ticks, if you can. If you board, I know that isn't always possible.