Sign in to follow this  
Indestructible

The Official Workout Thread

Whether you're looking to lose weight, gain muscle, or just get into a healthy exercise routine, here is where you can consult with others trying to achieve the same thing.

Share stories, share goals, share work out routines, help motivate each other so that we all can achieve our goal.

Let's begin!

Great thread! I will share my work out routine. I really would be in trouble if I lost weight and definitely don't want more muscle, but I DO exercise to stay in shape, healthy and NOT lose my muscle, because I am not able to do the hard, physical outside work I'm so used to doing, at this time.

Anyways, usually around 7-7:20 am, before I have to start caring for my residents, I either do 100 jumping jacks, 90 crunches, 80 squats, 70 leg lifts (a leg lift to me is lifting the knee high, in a standing position, one at a time and quickly. I know this isn't correct, but this action REALLY works inner thighs!!), 60 jumping jacks, 50 crunches, 40 squats (sometimes vary it up by doing lunges in place), 30 leg lifts, 20 jumping jacks.

OR I do 40 jumping jacks, 30 crunches (sometimes vary by doing sit ups), 20 squats (again I mix in lunges), 10 pushups...do this two times.

Around 3pm I have a break and I do some of the above, just a few here and there and lift weights. I do 15 lbs in one arm at a time doing tricep and bicep exercises. I use a 30 lb weight holding it at my hip and then pulling straight up a few times as well. I usually do each different activity 10x on each arm and do 3 reps. I do this 3-5x/week.

If I'm feeling up to it I "jog" on the treadmill. I usually jog for about 5 minutes and then rotate through walking a minute or two, jogging for 2 or 3 until I am at anywhere between 10-30 minutes depending on how quickly I get bored.

On the weekends when my husband is home I take the dogs for a jog/walk and can jog for much longer and go for about an hour because I really enjoy it, but I don't do any other exercising.

I have never worked out in my life until about 3 months ago and while I do feel better about my body (and lost a lot of weight very quickly) I have a REALLY hard time sticking with it or doing it a lot of days.

I started running in October 2010, lost 30+ pounds in 2011. The most I'd want to lose is 10 pounds, and I'm not even sure about that-I'm torn. Right now I am at the "target weight" for my height--it would be better for barrel racing to be 10 pounds lighter, but I want to keep my curves,lol. I guess am going to focus on staying fit and toning up--if I drop a few pounds in the process it just happens. I stopped doing "toning" workouts in November and it's time to start back.

I have to go, but will post my workout routine sometime tonight when I get back!

Edited by sugarbabe.

I just started going to the gym and I'm loving it. I did two and a half years of cross country in high school and never figured out how to enjoy running so it's super exciting that I am finally having fun with exercise.

I have a couple goals - I'm trying to drop just a few pounds...and when I mean a few I mean ONLY a few. If you looked at any "ideal weight" chart or BMI calculator I'm already underweight, but because of my build and just the way my body weight is distributed I am healthiest 5-10lbs lighter than I am right now. It's largely because I have terrible eating habits so I'm working on that by trying to only eat when I'm ACTUALLY hungry, so when I have "boredom hunger" I try to only snack on things like carrots that won't fill me with a million calories and unhealthiness.

My other goal is to get some muscle so I can be better at dancing/doing dance lifts. That means I'm most concerned about my legs and core - legs so I can jump up successfully to boost myself into the lifts, and core so I can hold positions (like when I'm basically planking on my side above a guy's head, lol).

Right now, since I just started going to the gym, I don't have a REALLY set routine. But my favorite machine is the 100i - anyone else used one before? I've noticed a lot of people have no idea what it is, haha - it's this guy. It's like an elliptical, kind of, except you can make your strides as short or long as you want. This machine is actually the most efficient calorie burner for how much effort you put out - I ran 3.1 miles on it the other day and wasn't even winded. So I usually start by running on that for a while, depending on how much energy/focus i have at the time (to help keep myself from getting bored, i like to watch netflix on my phone =]). Then I use the rotary torso machine, and do back lifts, sit ups, squats, and side lifts - doing 3 sets of 10 reps on each. Then I usually go back to the 100i for some more cardio. If I'm in a sprinting mood I'll jump on the treadmill and do a short burst of relatively fast running, and then cool down on the 100i. That's about where I am at this point.

OH, and I have a question for you guys. Who knows anything about stretching? I'm just about the LEAST flexible person I know, and I know that it'll hold me back in dance if I don't work on it. Anybody have a good set of stretches that they do that might help me out?

I need to do this. I want tight buns for a wedding dress in 2013.

I've gained 50-ish pounds in 3 years and it needs to come off. I love these big ole thighs, but I'm NOT into the tummy pooch I've got going on.

I currently don't really do much in the way of exercise. I take the dog to the dog park and walk a couple laps 3-4 times a week. If I feel especially bad one day, then I do some jumping jacks and some light weight work before going to bed. But really I don't do that much.

My snacking is outta control and I've been trying to keep tabs on that too.

I've gotten used to making a couple small healthy decisions, like if we're having a pasta dish, then I skip on the bread. I kinda stick to one carb a meal. That seems to be smart, right?

I'm definitely trying to drink more water, as I know that will fill me up and I won't snack as much.

I joined Spark People and that is pretty neat. I've got the app on my phone and that makes it easy to journal my intake and keep track of cardio/muscle workouts.

I mix it up a lot throughout the week, so this could be kinda sorta lengthy.

This is where I'm at right now:

-Ride 3 horses a day. I ride bareback alot--good for balance and exercise!

-Run 5-7 days a week.

• On an "easy" day I will run a mile or two, others 3 or 4. I want to work up to 5+
  • We have a Nordic Track treadmill that inclines and has all types of programmed workouts. I will start with a mile jog as a warmup then do the 20,30, or 40 minute incline challenge.
  • Sometimes I run the incline challenge...Running on incline kills!
  • If I feel like I've eaten a lot I will do one of the "calorie" workouts, haha--those mix walking & running

-Lifting Weights. My brother has all kinds of weight lifting equipment that I have access to, and I try to lift 3 days a week. Generally I do 15 reps in a set, and atleast two sets.

• With the Bowflex I'll do some chest flies, pulldowns, pullovers, shoulder press, curls, wristcurls, and kickbacks.
  • With free weights I bench press and do some of the same from above.
  • Sometimes I throw in some push ups and tricep dips.

-Toning / other

• On an easy day I'll do the 100 workout http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lj5tt8BuGm1qa5gp8.jpg
    - On lower body days I will do two or three sets of 50 squats and lunges
    - Usually a minimum of 4 sets of 50 crunches / situps / other ab exercises.
    - I do three different types of leg lifts. 2 sets of 50 leg lifts.
    - Kickbacks
    - Jump roping

I am probably forgetting something but that's all I can think of right now. I mix it up a lot, I get extremely bored doing the same thing every day.

Edited by sugarbabe.

Right now, all I do is walk the dog and walk to and from school a couple times a day, 5 days a week. Then ride when I can. I want to get in shape for show season and general fitness.

So my routine is going to look like so:

Ride Indy 6 days a week.

The '100' workout 5 days a week.

Walking to and from school at least twice a day, 5 days a week(about a 10 minute walk)

Walk the dog when weather permits.

I'd run if I could but my knees can't handle it. Gym is tempting but I need people to go with me and other than dragging my boyfriend with me, no one else will go and with school and work I dunno how much time I'll have.

How didn't I see this before?

You guys are going to think I'm the biggest weenie ever! I need to work on strength. Muscle mass and eating habits are my focus. I don't want to drop weight, just exchange the fat around my hips for muscles overall. So target areas are the lower body and arms. I'm 110lbs at 5'7". I wouldn't mind putting on weight if it was muscle (hence why I'm becoming a body builder. har har).

A major goal is eating healthier. Worst combo: sweet tooth and a knack for salt. It wasn't uncommon for me to eat chips or crackers, candy, cheese-products, pasta, and pop throughout the day. Cutting down on those and increasing water is important. I want to emphasize eating, too, because I tend to just stop eating when I'm trying to be health conscious. As a supplement - since my protein intake is seriously lacking - we picked up some whey protein mix. One scoop is 140 calories and 25 grams of protein. That in a glass of milk is my breakfast since I'm not a big eater in the morning. I also have it with a snack.

Since it's break, 4 days a week I'll walk a bit over 2 (brisk) miles to work. A total of about 40 minutes. I loathe running. Good thing I love lifting weights!

For arms, I do bicep curls, butterfly presses, french presses, shoulder presses, something I have NO idea what it's called but have seen it a million times (basically bending over, one leg slightly bent, extend the weight down then bring up in a motion similar to starting a lawn mower). For lower body I do squats, lunges, dead lifts, hip extenders, and other random things. A lot of these are done while holding a weight.

A pilates program is thrown in there, too, that works the back, abs, legs, and glutes.

Do any of you have a workout partner? Be that a SO, sibling, friend, etc?

The boy and I are going to be each other's coaches.

I'm excited for our workouts. And grocery shopping...am I weird for loving grocery shopping? It's probably because I love food so much.

I like running and doing bodyrock.tv workouts. Tomorrow they're going to start a 30 day plan to start the new year out right and I'm really excited! Their workouts are short, but really intense!

If you have a smartphone, I recommend downloading the MyFitnessPal app. You can also access their website. It helps me keep track of what I eat and how much exercise. My biggest problem is that I eat just one meal a day and it's normally not the most healthiest thing. I'm not eating enough so my body thinks it's starving, and I'm on birth control for health reasons (I have PCOS) so I've gained weight.

I bought Zumba for X-box kinect lol and I'm going to start doing that since I can't run at the moment. I'm hoping to have my knee surgery ASAP so I can start running again.. I miss it like crazy!

If anyone downloads that app and wants to be "friends" on there, you can find me by my username, Peaceloverodeo

Mmmk I will play.

For the longest time I wanted to be "skinnier"... but now I would rather just be athletically fit.

I have thought STRONGLY about taking up karate or ballet, but havent fully thought that out yet. :P

As for a workout up until 6 months ago I was walking 15 miles a day per my job and this is not a leisurely walk either.

It was TOUGH lol.

Now I do absolutely nothing and you can tell.

I got a gym membership this year though and plan to go check it out tomorrow.

I am mostly a runner. Even though it KILLLLSSSS me.

Gonna try to get hubby's help with motivating me. I hate exercising by myself cuz i get bored immediatly. He wants to start running again so maybe i'll power walk along with him.

Worked out this morning...not very fun on an empty stomach. Weak + shaky muscles. I couldn't push myself as hard because I began to get light headed in addition all of the other stuff.

I found a move I'm in love with, however! I wrapped a resistance band twice around my lower legs (atop my ankles). You should have a lot of tension - I could only get my legs about a foot apart. Set yourself in a squat position, and then step to the side, bringing your leg laterally to the other. Keep going in both directions, so to work both legs. My outer thighs and hips were dying!

I'm excited for grocery shopping tonight...Thankfully I love all of the healthy things like fruits, veggies (big salads, anyone?), cottage cheese, and yogurts w/ granola.

My work out starts today with a ride on my pony. Adding in 10 minutes of two point in trot and 10 no stirrups. Imma die lol. Should be a 45 minute ride too.

I don't really have a workout partner, unless you count the dog?

Did a workout with Kevin last night and today we walked a bit. But other than that, no hard physical exertion lol. Ate semi-well today. Could have done without the chocolate and double cheesing my grilled cheese sandwich, but not too bad.

Tomorrow is a new day!

I'm so excited...I just got back from the gym. I had a fabulous workout and it just went on and on and on and I never got tired. lol I had to go home eventually, though, so I went to the store on the way and got salad and healthy salad dressing and carrots cause i was in a healthy mood - isn't it funny how working out makes you hungry for healthy things? ...or is that just me? lol anyways though, I'm really excited for working out right now because i had so much fun and felt so good and worked so hard.

Oh! Also, today I enrolled in a Pilates class for this quarter. I'm really excited! I don't know a lot about Pilates but it sounds like a great workout, especially for what I'm looking to improve - core strength, flexibility, and body control/awareness - all of which will greatly benefit my dancing, I suspect. Those are the exact areas I want to work on to improve my dancing. I'm soo stoked.

Going to the gym tomorrow morning. Eh boy.

Made 6 months wroth of HEALTHY crock pot meals today.

My house is destroyed. I think me cleaning this mess counts as some type of workout.

Signing up for a wednesday night climbing class, as well as the semester-long program where you drop in to whatever classes (yoga, step, zumba, boot camp, water aerobics, cardio, spin, etc etc) you choose... tons of choices and times.... do 32 classes, get a prize, 48 get a bigger prize plus the smaller one form completing 32. It's really competitive between students, and it was good for me the last time I did it, so I'll be doing that again.

Plus I have a thing that's good for free climbing another night every week.

So twice a week rock climbing, and 2-3 times a week of fitness classes. (going for 35 in the semester, just don't have time for 4 a week)

Also riding with the polo club twice a week and riding my own 2 horses 4-6 times a week. (So 12-14 hours in the saddle and one night a week of stall cleaning and throwing feed/hay.)

That should be plenty to get and stay much more fit than I was this term.

Well my workout was a good one. I def felt some muscle weakness when I was riding so I need to fix that, and i'm sore today but it felt good to ride and work on my body again. I've been working on Indy's for so long that I've been ignoring mine. Bad,bad.

Took down all of the Christmas decorations and cleaned for three hours today... I want to run, but we have a pool table[right by the room with the treadmill] and the room with the pool table is full of my brother and his friends. They watch me run. I don't like that! haha so I guess all that cleaning will be enough calories burned.

What the heck...I'm not eating enough. I'm a bit shy of 1200 calories for today. For someone trying to put on muscle, that isn't enough. Just NOW, before bedtime, am I hungry and feel like snacking. I already had a nice salad with egg whites and veggies!

Ran a mile today and walked the incline thingy for a while.

I feel ALOT better about todays run.

I can always tell when I am getting enough sleep when I am running or else I just CANNOT physically achieve my goals.

Question for all...

When you workout hard, how does your body feel afterwards?

For example, yesterday I worked my upper body. My arms were so extremely fatigued and sore. Today I worked my lower body, same thing (in both cases, it took great effort to push/stand up from the ground afterwards).

Any idea what the range of muscle fatigue should be? I don't want to be stupid and over do it, yet I don't want to go easy. I'm curious what you guys know/how you work out!

I push myself just until I can start to feel the fatigue in my muscles, but husband pushes himself really hard when he runs and then throws up afterward. I told him to stop that!