Sign in to follow this  
Indestructible

The Official Workout Thread

That used to happen to me when I ran! No fun. Once in cross country I got a gatorade because of such...way to encourage it, coaches!

For weights, I do three sets of about 10-12 reps. The first set are warm up with lighter or no weights (depending upon the move/muscle, arms vs. legs, etc). The last two sets are with weights (both arms and legs); at about rep 9 my arms/legs are beginning to shake and feel weak, but I push myself for 3 more reps. My last rep is near failure (w/o sacrificing form, ideally).

Pretty happy with today's eating...more calories, and lots of protein! :yay:

I did the Insanity workout.....with Shaun T.

If you are looking for cardio.....this is your workout!!! It is HARD! It kicked my butt, left me feeling like I wanted to die---but I did it. I completed 6 weeks of it before my knee started hurting really bad for no reason. It's finally healed up and I might start it over again. Not a whole lot of motivation over here though........

But yeah, it's hard. But effective. It works your WHOLE body. And the entire workout (warm up, workout, cool down) only takes 45 minutes and you can do it in your own home.

Otherwise I just rollerblade up and down the beach boardwalk where I live now.

I did the Insanity workout.....with Shaun T.

If you are looking for cardio.....this is your workout!!! It is HARD! It kicked my butt, left me feeling like I wanted to die---but I did it. I completed 6 weeks of it before my knee started hurting really bad for no reason. It's finally healed up and I might start it over again. Not a whole lot of motivation over here though........

But yeah, it's hard. But effective. It works your WHOLE body. And the entire workout (warm up, workout, cool down) only takes 45 minutes and you can do it in your own home.

Otherwise I just rollerblade up and down the beach boardwalk where I live now.

I have the insanity workouts as well, but they get kinda boring to me after a while because I memorize all the moves...lol so I have to mix it up.

I got Zumba for the Xbox 360 because I'm bored with the elliptical and I can't run right now because of my knee..

Yeah. I got so ticked off at the 930 questions that I turned it off. So frustrating!

I've been doing Zumba on the Wii, Active Fit on the Wii and mixing in some Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. Just started my workout regimen on Tuesday so right now feeling pretty good.

I was in the habit of working out ever day during summer, but fall semester was SO crazy that I was lucky to get 4 hours of sleep a night... no time to work out.

Now that I have more time (taking less classes next semester because I don't want to actually go crazy), I'm slowly getting back into it. I'm going to start working out with my mom's personal trainer once a week again. Other than that, I try to switch off between body workouts and cardio, I do one one day and the other the next. For the body workouts I tend to do Pilates, although sometimes I do some of the routines that the personal trainer puts together - using resistance bands, free weights, kettle bells, etc... lots of lunges and squats as well, the lady is a master of torture.

I have a hard time convincing myself to do cardio, but lately I've been playing a lot of dance central on the Xbox so that's at least better than nothing.

Not really looking to lose weight, maybe five pounds... mostly just want to tone up again.

I got Zumba for the Xbox 360 because I'm bored with the elliptical and I can't run right now because of my knee..

Yeah. I got so ticked off at the 930 questions that I turned it off. So frustrating!

Is that the Zumba that uses the kinect? Is it fun/a good workout? I was thinking about buying it.

^ Other than walking to work, I don't do cardio. Apparently for changing body composition (losing fat, putting on muscle, etc), cardio doesn't matter a whole lot. It's your diet and weight training. Eat clean, lift heavy. Granted, cardio is good for your heart, circulation, and all of that fun stuff.

Makes me happy, however, that I don't have to be out running everyday to have the body I want!

so this is what im shooting for -

http://www.ruggedmaniac.com/events-details/items/southwick-2012.html

did i mention ive never ran a race before and i have no idea how to prepare? lmao

My ex used to do those, probably even at the same location. I don't really know how he prepared for it, but that looks super fun!

Ran more today and it was a breeze... even after working my 11 hour shift.

I am definitely feeling more energy. I just HAVE to get enough sleep. That is the key ingredient here.

I have yet to do any weight lifting because I am worried about how it will affect me at work. :-/

I will be a pitiful mess at my job if I overdo it.

Well if you want to lose weight and tone up then you should do cardio and weight training otherwise you'll just gain muscle on top of fat basically.

Also, cardio is pretty important for overall health. This could be walking, running, biking, rollerblading, skiing, etc.

i havent been to the gym in a couple days, first cause i thought i was gonna have a pilates class and yesterday cause the whole day i was either sleeping or dancing...for what it's worth, I got at least some degree of workout while dancing (we were doing fast dances like polka and viennese waltz).

It worries me when I start missing days because my biggest obstacle with health kicks has always been persisting - I'll skip days because I have "excuses" but then I end up just never going back. Let's put it this way...I have had a gym membership for six months and have used it as much in the last week as i have in the entire rest of the time I've had it.

I will go today. Or else. lol.

In other news, I danced today and it was lots of fun and it was exercise too! We were doing swing, salsa, and (like i said) viennese waltz, and all of these can work up a sweat if you get into them. I had a lot of fun and it looks like we're gonna do it regularly...YAY!

Meanwhile, yet another motivator for my working out and getting in better shape: same guy I was dancing with is a photographer and wants to do photo shoots with me. Gotta make sure I'm in shape!

Have any of you tried Fage? (A greek strained yogurt).

It isn't good. I'm trying to eat it with some granola and fruit...ick. It has 20g protein per one cup, which is impressive. Just not sure I can stomach it.

I post too much in here -- sorry!

But I saw the cuuutest bathing suit today. Technically I don't need a bathing suit, but this one rocks. And it will be awesome once I'm in better shape. Motivation and reward, all in one. I might have to go back and get it before...hmm!

I'm riding my bike in the middle of winter... It's so warm out and it's perfect for building leg muscles. Especially on hills and when your gears are set higher. :)

I have been SO slacking in this area. I do try and walk out in the pasture and throw in some lunges for about 1/2 hour every evening when I feed the dogs, and I do about 1 set of 10 reps for weights about, well, 2-5, days a week. I figure it's not enough each day to hurt doing it multiple days...I wish I was able to get outside and take the dogs jogging and ride my horse, build fence, move hay, etc like I'm used to doing. I feel like I am withering away to nothing and getting SO lazy being forced to be inside all day.

Don't feel like a slacker! Your days sound incredibly busy. If you're wanting to exercise, the program I'm doing only takes 30-40 minutes and is done three times a week.

It's a weight training program. Info can be found here. It is designed to progress strength and muscle mass (my goal is to put on weight through muscle, so that's why I chose this. Ultimately I want to be lean and muscular). Also, figuring out what dietary needs you have will greatly enhance your results. There is a nutrition stickie here. I calculated mine to help set out a meal plan.

For example, I'm endeavoring to eat at least 1800 calories a day (preferably 2000) with 100g protein and about 20-50g fat, and 200g + carbs. What I follow quite closely is my protein intake.

My routine is on my none lifting days, I do pilates that emphasizes my core. I also walk to work (40 minutes total/almost 3 miles). No cardio other than that.

The forums with the links above are extremely helpful and educational. I could read them all day!

Don't feel like a slacker! Your days sound incredibly busy. If you're wanting to exercise, the program I'm doing only takes 30-40 minutes and is done three times a week.

It's a weight training program. Info can be found here. It is designed to progress strength and muscle mass (my goal is to put on weight through muscle, so that's why I chose this. Ultimately I want to be lean and muscular). Also, figuring out what dietary needs you have will greatly enhance your results. There is a nutrition stickie here. I calculated mine to help set out a meal plan.

For example, I'm endeavoring to eat at least 1800 calories a day (preferably 2000) with 100g protein and about 20-50g fat, and 200g + carbs. What I follow quite closely is my protein intake.

My routine is on my none lifting days, I do pilates that emphasizes my core. I also walk to work (40 minutes total/almost 3 miles). No cardio other than that.

The forums with the links above are extremely helpful and educational. I could read them all day!

How do you do it without getting really hot? I think that is most of my problem, I get SO hot doing anything in the house I just give up. And thanks for the link, I will check those out!

I really have a pretty good idea of calories and what to eat, but at times I can't help but just eat and eat. I am also very close to being underweight, but still very heavily muscles for my size, so it's hard to find a workout and eating routine that works, because I can eat up to 3000 calories for many days and not gain an oz, but I can also only eat 1100 calories a day for days and not lose weight. I guess because my eating and activity levels balance out over such long periods of time that it all works.

My main goal is just to do cardio (even if it is just walking) to keep my overall health good, so walking with the dogs out in the pasture in the evening is something I am going to really start forcing myself to do. I get too bored on the treadmill (it's in the garage) and I can't go out side for too long at a time unless my husband is home, which isn't until about 6-7pm at night.

Ran my mile and walked the incline... I am wondering when I will be able to up this. I am so dead at the end of running, but I have been able to increase my speed.

So little by little for sure. I am so proud of me for doing this.

Healthy dinner in the works.

And healthy dessert to follow.

Yay me! :)

How do you do it without getting really hot? I think that is most of my problem, I get SO hot doing anything in the house I just give up. And thanks for the link, I will check those out!

I really have a pretty good idea of calories and what to eat, but at times I can't help but just eat and eat. I am also very close to being underweight, but still very heavily muscles for my size, so it's hard to find a workout and eating routine that works, because I can eat up to 3000 calories for many days and not gain an oz, but I can also only eat 1100 calories a day for days and not lose weight. I guess because my eating and activity levels balance out over such long periods of time that it all works.

My main goal is just to do cardio (even if it is just walking) to keep my overall health good, so walking with the dogs out in the pasture in the evening is something I am going to really start forcing myself to do. I get too bored on the treadmill (it's in the garage) and I can't go out side for too long at a time unless my husband is home, which isn't until about 6-7pm at night.

I get cold very easily/I'm cold half the time, so it isn't too bad (although it's not unusual to break a sweat!).

I can be the same way with food...eat tons and tons, then some days barely anything. Same way with cardio - I get bored easily. Low impact cardio, like the walking you mentioned, is great! It's beneficial and I'm sure the pups will love it too :smilie: I admit, walking > running. Anyday. I love walks and loathe runs.

Didn't want to work out today but I did it anyhow. Had the thoughts of "either suck it up or do it or don't complain about your body."

I'm tired now!

How are you feeling, Hilary? Those days are kinda fun because you feel like you really worked!

Yeah if i dont feel some kind of burn or pain i feel like i havent done anything! Lol! I am surviving! The backs of my thighs and inner thighs are sore(definitely from lunges) but nothing else is sore so it's not too bad, thank goodness! I am going to run tonight and that usually works a lot of the soreness out.

Edited by sugarbabe.

So proud of me. :)

Did the eliptical thingy for about 2 miles... but REALLY wanted to run.

Finally the treadmills cleared up and I ran my mile.

Wasnt happy about it, but did it anyways and I really wasnt "dying" at the end.

I think I might be getting ready to up the ante here soon enough.

I'm going to workout in about half an hour after dinner settles...

If I'm not sweating and panting at the end of my workout I don't feel like I've worked hard enough. I really like running and interval training because I can really get my headrate up and I feel great afterwards!

Really happy about maintaining my 5 days a week training program! Tomorrow is my last day of lifting and then I get the weekend for rest. I can already tell a tiny difference...exciting :happy0203: