Sign in to follow this  
Indestructible

The Official Workout Thread

Anyone know any good exercises for lower back exercises? I'm not sure if my back is just weak or if I've messed it up from riding and such. Everytime I bend over it hurts to straighten up lol

Anyone know any good exercises for lower back exercises? I'm not sure if my back is just weak or if I've messed it up from riding and such. Everytime I bend over it hurts to straighten up lol

Are you sure it's muscular and not skeletal? Have you tried going to the chiropractor for an adjustment? If you find a good chiropractor they can really help you out!

For my lower back I do supermans. You lay on your stomach with your legs stretched straight out behind you and your arms stretched straight out in front of you. Keeping your head down, lift your legs and arms off of the ground, like you're trying to make a U with your body. Hold for a little while and then return to start. You can also lift your left leg and your right arm, keeping the opposite leg and arm on the ground, then switch sides. That really has strengthened my back considerably.

Also, you might already do this, but practice good posture! Keep your back straight and your core engaged, like you would when you're riding. You'll definitely feel your muscles working after a little while, and it's great because it can be done anywhere.

Hope your back feels better! =)

Edited by Brush Creek Jake

When i bend over i can actually feel my muscles tighten and it takes me awhile to straighten back out. I can't even pick Indy's hooves anymore cause my back hurts to much and I can't straighten back out. :/ I've mentioned it to my chiro before but my lower back is never out, it's always middle and upper. Even after an adjustment it still hurts so i'm guessing muscles over spine. I feel like a grandma though lol

So this morning my brother met with a nutritionist because he wants to eat healthier and lose some weight. I went with him. She did his BMI and all of that fun stuff, had this super fancy system that calculated everything you can imagine.... He has 206 pounds of MUSCLE on his body[not skeletal, organs,fat,ect...muscle only!] How ridiculous is that? She said she's never seen anyone with that much muscle mass in her 18 years as a nutritionist.

Also, I'm going to try to eat a little healthier as support..and just 'cause I really need to eat better[i FAIL at eating healthy.] Should be fun!

Hilary, that is an awesome opportunity for learning! Please share anything cool you find out? I love learning about nutrition!

Which, speaking of such...the world did not end yesterday despite the fact I had some candy and pizza in the same day. I'm still having trouble eating healthy and getting enough calories; I get full too easily. In other news, I'm looking forward to my new week of lifting and am so FREAKING excited for DH to pick up his barbell w/ weights.

Oooh fun! With the education you have - what is your stance on the bodybuilding community recommending 1g of protein per weight when endeavoring to increase muscle mass?

I'll probably think of more, but THAT question I see all the time. :smileywavey:

Schatzl-- For a "normal" adult trying to maintain, about 0.8 g/kg is appropriate. If someone is very active, we'll increase their protein depending on their needs, for quite active individuals (depending on other factors) maybe about 1.2 g/kg. Remember kg are not pounds-- take your weight and divide by 2.2 to determine your weight in kg.

Protein is certainly over consumed in our nation. Almost everyone in the US is receiving adequate/excessive amounts. Remember to choose lean sources (ground beef at least 95/5, poultry without skin, etc). Too much protein (we're talking a lot here) can be harmful, it puts extra work on your kidneys, and if you're at high risk of developing kidney problems, I'd be careful. Also, as dietitians (I have a bachelors and masters in nutrition, currently working on my PhD), we do NOT recommend supplementation for most healthy people.

Remember too to consume adequate fluids when increasing protein since it dehydrates. Hope that helps!

Thank you for taking the time to answer!

Has anyone else out there been keeping up with working out?

I was tired today and wanted to veg out...but at work today, one of the girls said "you don't look like the sort of person to lift weights!" Grrr. That was my motivation. GREAT work out; really focused on form and control. Now my legs/hips/bum are killing me!

I've been doing my evening walks with the dogs fairly well, and lifting some weights! :yay:

Shatzel...that kind of stuff IRKS me, so badly! It's none of her business. I'm a measly 5 ft tall and 100 lbs and can easily lift and maneuver 50-70lbs, all day, flank month old Holstein calves ONE handed (it was necessary, I was alone and the other hand was full of a tube of scour-ban, a syringe of antibiotic and the tuber-and I did this often), lift those baby Holstein calves into a trailer on the 4-wheeler and lift and stack 125lb bales of hay. I KNOW that my muscles aren't huge, but they are there.

I don't ever brag about my muscles, and VERY rarely mention my muscular build. It's just my body type, I naturally have more of it. Whether I work out or not. I can keep it from my work, such as mentioned above working with the calves, wrapping meat (I was always lifting and moving trays and boxes full of meat), and caregiving.

Anyways, a friend told me the other day "I don't think your muscles are as big as you think they are" :thud: ...when a few months before she told me she thought I looked like a "buff nature chick" when we were kayaking.

Not to brag at all...but I will post some pics of my arms completely naturally (doing regular things...and natural muscle, as in I did not lift weights at all before any of these pics were taken).

This is an older one, I weigh about 25 lbs less now than I did in this pic

5zum_0784.jpg

There are all after I lost weight

Wedding day:

Martin_wedding_031.jpg

The dogs and Me:

IMG_4329.jpg

Kale and Me:

IMG_4395.jpg

Edited by RopingBarrels

^^^Lol RopingBarrels... I love you digging around in the stomach up there. That is always fun. XD

Anywho, went back to running again after a couple of days off... almost died, but did it!

It's actually a few year old cow. ;) I am taking the food out of its rumen, for a grad students scientific study. It has that hole cut in it (a fistula) so that you can access the rumen. There is a rubber cork type thing that closes up the hole and it doesn't affect the animal at all.

It's actually a few year old cow. ;) I am taking the food out of its rumen, for a grad students scientific study. It has that hole cut in it (a fistula) so that you can access the rumen. There is a rubber cork type thing that closes up the hole and it doesn't affect the animal at all.

Haha it's little it didn't look like an adult cow :P.

That's sweet though, although i'm not sure how much i'd like having a cork in my stomach lol.

So as a class project I have to design a brochure for FITT formulas. If you guys want any information from the handouts I got on these let me know and i'll type it all out :) It's pretty interesting actually!

Just incase you don't know what a FITT formula is..

F - Frequency ( How often should one exercise )

I - Intensity ( How hard one should exercise )

T - Time ( How long one should exercise )

T - Type ( What kind of exercise one should engage in )

RopingBarrels - you look STRONG. And that is awesome, IMO B) I used to be all about the twiggy look which so many girls strive for. I'm getting over that and it is great (for me, at least)!

In other news, I found the best breakfast/snack/whatever:

1 cup plain, low fat yogurt

1 cup whole milk (I refuse to drink skim...yuck).

1 medium banana

1 tablespoon peanut butter.

Blend them all up until no 'nanner chunks remain. I'm in love!

Hey...I make the exact same shake, but just use whole milk (GO us! lol), a banana and peanut butter. Sometimes I throw in a bit of Nutella or Chocolate Milk Powder. YUM!

And thanks! Up until about 2 or 3 years ago I was SO embarrassed about my arms...well all of my body. :ashamed0002:

Edited by RopingBarrels

I just started getting back in shape again. I realized I was eating a lot of frozen meals which are loaded with sodium and not very good for you other things. So I made a healthy grocery list and stuck to it.

I also started working out again. I have a workout dvd that has 4 different workouts on it. They are called: Cardio Burn, Cardio Overdrive, Pump and Jab and Cardio Flow.

They are all different and work EVERY part of my body. They also have strength training with weights throughout so I feel my whole body being worked out and after just five days I can already feel my muscles working better and my tummy feels a little toned.

I like to switch each workout and I work out every other day so that I don't over exhaust my muscles.

Lets keep up the great work ladies!

Good workout today after a (very) bad weekend of eating.

I increased my weights quite significantly. Everything is manageable, but by the 8th rep I'm getting very tired. By the last set/reps I'm definitely pushing myself! Lots more huffing and puffing afterwards, too. I had to remain at my old weights for shoulder presses; that's a weak spot. Good news is, however, that before, 8 reps would fatigue my muscles so quickly...now, after 2 weeks (6 workouts), I can easily manage 10 reps [old weight, shoulder presses still]. Right on track, technically!

Does anyone have experience with machines vs. free-weights? I'm only using the latter and plan to...feels like it requires more minute control.

How has everyone else been doing?

The machines in a gym do 10x more for me than free weights. I don't know why but they just work. I could do way better with them too and lift heavier.

I'm starting to see the outline of my abs again and my calf muscles can still lock my boyfriend in place so he can't move. Lol. Joys of a horse back rider

I have been lifting weights with my brother every M-W-F. He laughs at my "little" weights while he casually benches more than I weigh,lol. Last night we lifted and went for a 45 minute walk. It's nice to have someone to work out with.

I'm doing better at eating healthy, although I had pizza today.

I already feel like my riding is better, too, just by getting back into the groove of working out & riding 3 a day. Yay!

I've heard other people say that too, Stevie. I think I'm too much of a weenie to GO to a gym right now...I like working out at home and focusing. I get distracted by people easily if I'm out and about (a natural people-watcher, I am!).

In other news, I am making pancakes tonight and I'm ridiculously excited. I'm not sure why, either. Also, for the rest of the week, I am endeavoring to eat at least 1800 calories (maintenance) and hopefully more. Of course, I want to make healthy choices and not just meet that number by snacking on chips and junk food.

:smileywavey:

im going for walks whenever I can and even though I'm not even trying to deprive myself of sweets, I'm trying to moderate them a lot more.

Went back to running. Upped it by a 10th lol. I promise you it is ALOT MORE AGH!

But progression.

Dude, a couple of weeks ago I was running .75 and I am up to 1.10. So Yay hahaha. XD

Krystal I totally have no idea what you're talking about...our treadmill (at home, I don't use it now!) doesn't let you adjust it that finely. Only simple mph. Or have I completed misunderstood what you meant? That wouldn't be an odd occurrence for me!

In other news, my shoulders, biceps, and back are beginning to show noticeable improvements. Legs too! I barely ate yesterday, and that's bad, but otherwise I've been doing good. This is exciting! :yay:

And have I mentioned I LOVE lifting?

Krystal I totally have no idea what you're talking about...our treadmill (at home, I don't use it now!) doesn't let you adjust it that finely. Only simple mph. Or have I completed misunderstood what you meant? That wouldn't be an odd occurrence for me!

Lol *miles* 1.10 *miles* schatzl! :D

Heh... some days my brain is not connected. B) I'm just going to roll with it.

In other news, it is DH confirmed that my shoulders have improved and are showing more muscle definition. Very happy! Abs = improving. The extra fat on my hips = dwindling. Everything is getting better and I'm coming to about a month of work. Pretttty cool! Can't wait for summer at this rate.

The month of January I started toning exercises back, slacked on cardio[just kind of went with "running a mile a day keeps the pounds away!" lol]

Since today is February 1, I upped it...a lot. Ran a mile then did the 45 minute incline challenge on the treadmill. Man oh man am I out of shape! Getting ready to lift weights in a little bit..yikes.

I admit, I fail on working out. I hate working out alone and I have no workout buddy. I'm hoping hubby and I can do some walking/jogging together after next monday!

^ I always work out alone...it'd be miserable if I couldn't play music! The right kind of music is AWESOME motivation. Plus if you set a specific goal and keep that on your brain.

I had a great workout today! I focused on eating more leading up to my workout and it made a huge difference. Sometimes I feel like my body hasn't changed much and it is a bit discouraging (even though I know it has - I feel way better too). Either way, I'm sticking with it and know I'll get to where I want to be.