Sign in to follow this  
Indestructible

The Official Workout Thread

Feeling SOOOO much better! Started doing a little bit of weights and walking with the dogs in the evening. Now I just need to get out of bed in the mornings and do a 1/2 hour walk or jog with the dogs in the morning.

Hannah-What work out routine do you do to exercise and tone? I have lost SO much muscle in my arms since I laid around doing nothing and was so sick for nearly three months. I'd like to get it back, and know it will come, but I also don't have the outside stuff to do right now like I always have (like feeding, saddling, lifting/moving haybales, etc.).

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better! I have a cold now and haven't worked out for a week. Oh well!

For arm exercises, I enjoy seated dumbbell presses, arm raises, curls (hammer curls and concentration curls), Arnold presses, tricep kickbacks, and other random compound movements such as squats and stiff leg deadlifts.

For a while I was just doing this program 3x week with 2-3 working sets of 8-12 reps:

Squats

Bench Presses

Bent-Over Rows

Overhead Barbell Presses (dumbbell presses)

Stiff-Legged Deadlifts

Barbell Curls

Calf Raises

Except with squats and stiff-legged deadlifts, I used a dumbbell for all else.

Anyone still on board here?

Didn't want to, but I did heavier weights, less reps last night for stiff leg dead lifts. Did a bunch of those and lunges. I can feel it today!

Did some ab work for fun this morning since, well, I need to!

I'm still going! 3-5 days a week, riding 3 horses a day. Riding has me SORE right now.

My metabolism must have sped up big-time because I am hungry ALL THE TIME. I have been doing cardio consistently since fall 2010, and strength training for at least 6 months...so I'm not sure why now?? but I hate being hungry all the time.

I've had this bad habit of eating cheetos before or after a run. Oops.

I've actually began running a few times a week. Mainly up hills and sprints; steady state cardio is enough to drive me crazy. Still lifting my weights, too.

Change is very slow, but that's OK (cheetos aren't helping and I've also begun drinking pop everyday. Meh).

I've started walking a mile to 1 1/2 most days. I cant really tell if I've lost any weight but hubby thinks I have and I feel better when I get some exercise.

Walked a 1.5 miles to/from work today and ran some hills once I was home. REALLY didn't want to run any hills, but I did and am glad in the end.

Also been lifting MWF. Now I've just got to work on my diet.

Anyone still alive here anymore? Lol

What are you guys eating during all this to maintain the healthy lifestyle? I try and drink lots of water throughout the day and always go through a couple water bottles during a workout but I know I should start cooking some things better and leaving certain foods and dishes out of our diet. I want to cook better for both me and hubby so we both can be healthy inside and out.

Lots of water is awesome. I do terrible without enough water.

I don't cut anything out of my diet. Just endeavor to keep the 'bad' things in smaller portions and limited quantities. Tomorrow I'm making chicken tacos, so, for example, I'm not going to pile on cheddar cheese (even though I love it). It's still good without mountains of cheese!

What helps too is simply now buying terribly unhealthy foods. No ice cream, chips, candies... that sort of thing.

So, I pulled out the sit up bench last night and set it up in the living room infront of the tv. I did sit ups for an hour, with maybe two 5 minute breaks.

I wish i had counted ;/ my abs are sore today though! yay!

I hiked the ridge today. It's the most popular hike in town, 4 miles round trip, and pretty steep. I went with my boyfriend and a few of his friends, and his friends are in pretty good shape, so they were trying to go pretty fast...not gonna lie, I almost died. lol.

This, in combination with the run I went on a couple days ago which was less than a mile long and also almost killed me, plus the fact that I've been gaining weight and I hate it, has reminded me that I NEED to start working out. REGULARLY. for Reals this time. haha.

I'm gonna try to find friend(s) to hike with on a regular basis, and get to the point where I can hike it without almost collapsing.

It was sooo painful, hiking up the trail, and i'm not gonna lie - there was a time or two that I thought I might actually pass out haha. BUT at the very end as we were reaching the peak of the hill, I dug back to my days in cross country and found it in me to kick. I always love the kick at the end of a race, so I like to put it on all my exercises, haha. And I was actually able to RUN (practically sprint!) the last little bit of the hill! lol. It felt SO good. And then I ran about a quarter/third of the way down, which also felt amazing and was fun. That's the part that really convinced me that I want to do this more often, haha.

Moral of the story: I NEED TO DO THIS REGULARLY.

On another note: Anyone here use MapMyRun?

I found it today and I like it cause it will track my exercise, estimate my calories burned, and factor that into a daily nutrition log that I can track my meals in. Very helpful. I've only been using it for like a day but I recommend it so far.

Edited by mygoldfish

I just found this thread.!

Being 16 and about 60 pounds over weight, I really want to loose it.

The way Im built I am not worried about 'looking' skinney but I want to be in shape.

Right now I dont do much but I just aired up the tires on my bike yesterday.!

So I am thinking if riding my bike to the track around 7:30 am and running half a mile (this will increase as i get fit). The bike ride to the track and back would be a mile, then running half a mile.

Just biking around the nieghborhood in the afternoon 2-3.

Then my morning routine repeated after dinner.

I have a tummy pooch, but I dont know how to get rid of it.! Advice.?

Tried a new workout today.

I may have died in the middle of it..this could be my ghost posting right now.

^ What was it?

I love workouts that kick butt!

CCQ,

Losing a tummy pooch is about fat loss. Unless it's excess skin, it's most likely fat stored on the lower abdomen. Losing fat comes down to calories in vs. calories. So, figure out what you're eating and the calorie totals! Calculating your daily caloric output is needed, too, so you can compare.

Ab exercises will help strengthen your whole core, but really, visible abs comes down to having low enough body fat to SHOW the muscles! Since you can't spot reduce, you're just going to have to endeavor to get fat off while maintaining/working muscles.

I love lifting and short, high intensity cardio workouts. Cardio isn't NECESSARY to get fat off, lest you want even more of a calorie deficit, ya know? It is good, of course, for getting your heart rate up/stamina. Lifting weights can do this too, but that isn't necessarily the point for most.

Aaaaand I'm beginning to ramble so I'll stop now. :happy0203:

I want to try insanity so bad..

My problem is that my knee gives out all the time due to my old injury, so I'm trying to work up into working out again.. if that makes since.

I would definitely work up into it and strengthen it as much as you can because there is a lot of squatting/jumping.

But I like it so far...even though I think I'm dying every time.haha.

Yeah, I started back on the elliptical because that's the only thing that doesn't hurt my knee too awful bad.

I really need to have knee surgery but since my mom is so sick that's just going to have to wait.

i love all the motivation you guys have. its awesome. i have 0-5% motivation to go faster than a stroll most of the time.

so my boyfriend has a pretty broken body, and cant really run. his mom and brother are big workout geeks (his brother goes to school for exercise science!) and i like to run. but dont do it too much. he wants to ride his bike more but i HATE riding my bike. well the other day at work, he saw an OLD man running and decided that if he could run, ed could run. so we went running the other day, 95 degrees and all. at an abandoned golf course (ideal! runners paradise, if you like running). and were really making an effort to do that more. im so happy.

My hard drive crashed so I can't do insanity right now.... They say its gonna be 2 weeks before i get my laptop back. Booooo!

I've been doing interval runs followed by weights m/w/f during lunch at work. Then when I get home fianc? and I either go on a bike ride, take the dogs on a walk or go rollerblading or something active. Then tues/wed I do 3 miles of steady running or elliptical. Then I try to just be active one the weekends. I've been doing cardio for a while now during the week, but just started adding lifting the last two weeks and I've cracked way down on my diet, so I'm hoping to be more fit and have more toned arms for my wedding day. September 8th here I come!!! :)

Oh and then I ride both horses a few times a week as well. Wish I was riding WAY more, but there still about 35 mins away so it gets tough with work. Can't wait to move them closer!!!

I had it bookmarked.... And I'll be lucky of I'm able to find it again after I get my laptop back! But if I do I'll send it to you

If you're a member on pinterest you might be able to find a link if you do a search. I thought I remembered seeing it one there somewhere...

I havent done squat for exercise. Hopefully when I am done with this semester in a few weeks I can start walking with the hubby in the mornings.

Hey I forgot about this one too! I've been working out during my lunch at work, which consists of 20 minutes of running (2 miles which usually incudes intervals of some sort) then 12-15 minutes of core/weighted interval moves. Then after dinner I do a 15 minute Shaun T workout during the week.

On weekends I try to do a longer, tough workout on Saturday and on Sunday I usually have an active rest day where I still try to do something active, but don't do an actual workout.

Hey Everyone!! :smileywavey:

I've been doing an AB Core workout in the mornings and when I have time I go to the gym. At the gym I do at least 30 minutes of cardio(Ellipitcal, Bike, and stairstepper). Then I try and do 20-30 minutes of strength training.