Sign in to follow this  
emmaphillips92

Si68? What Does It Mean?

I was reading a description for a horse that said "Barrel racing prospect, race as a two year old race $$ earner, and SI68 with problems every run."

What does the SI68 mean??

Edited by Little Barrel Racer**

And that speed index is not a good one.

They have to have a SI of 80 or faster (80 and up) to get their ROM (Register of Merit) in Racing with the AQHA.

Some Great AQHA's with SI's earning their ROM:

Streakin Six had an SI of 104.

Dash Ta Fame had an SI of 113.

Dash For Cash had an SI of 114.

Dash For Perks had an SI of 93.

Lady Bugs Moon had an SI of 100.

Bully Bullion has an SI of 104.

(Our local celebrity, Jasper) Howelling Corona has an SI of 97.

All the big time AQHA race horses generally have a 95 or higher, well the ones in HIGH demand.

Edited by ++S.O. TURN 3++

hard to say but with a speed index like that it is not a super fast horse but that doesn't mean it couldnt enjoy running barrels more and run fast... hard to say without seeing the horses conformation, movement and attitude.

my question would be what do they mean by " problems every run" that would concern me alot...

My mare had a very low SI also. Low enough I don't even know what it is. Her problem..."problem with every run" maybe she didn't run in a straight line or like my mare fell flat on her face every time she left. She would lean or push on the back of the gate similar to a roping horse in the box and would launch out but her feet wouldnt move fast enough, then she would get up and run like the dickens but when you're runnning 400 yards everyone else is almost done. The best she ever did was 3rd. Now she had low SI and has won me several titles (see in my signature) and that's not updated. She qualified for the AQHA world show a few times into her 20's and even qualified to go back to the finals. So don't let a slow SI keep you from running barrels on her. You never know until you try

Pure D Dash (Dash for Cash x Native Noblesse) had an SI of 121. I used to own a son of his and thought it was a typo at first. His Son "A long Goodbye" (Pure D Dash x Tinys Gay Moon) ended his career with an SI of 128 and holds several track records.

IMHO if someone is advertising a horse having an SI of 68 it's a good enough reason to overlook him.