Sign in to follow this  
CatNip81

350 Million Dollar Equestrian Center In Republic Mo

I caught this little blurb on my facebook "thank you horsecity". There is an attempt in Republic MO to build a 350 million dollar equestrian center on 1300 acres complete with lakes, 350 room hotel and restaurants.It will have 15,000 seat center and provide an estimated 800 jobs. Wow, that is a pretty big center. So how do you feel about it? Do you think there would be enough demand for such a place? Is it the best location for such a facility? Good for the community or silly idea?

http://www.kspr.com/news/local/kspr-350-million-elite-equestrian-center-proposed-in-republic-mo-20120101,0,769583.story

Edited by Storygurl

As long as the state of MO is on board with keeping overall annual costs low I think this will be great. There needs to be a big facility like this for the breed organizations to be able to hold their National and World shows in the middle of the country. Many are held in TX as there are tax breaks and so on that the state gives which makes it a lot cheaper to host shows of that size there.

It will also all depend on how much they charge to host these shows, but I think it sounds like a good idea. They might need to review their budget and business plan though to assure they won't cost themselves out.

With huge centers in Kentucky and Oklahoma, won't the national and international organizations perhaps not use it enough.

Arizona has the Event in Scottsdale at Westworld, and AQHA congress is in Oklahoma, or Texas, with nationals in Kentucky. I would hope they project costs very carefully, so it doesn't wind up a white elephant.

We have a huge Equestrian Center here in Utah. It doesn't have a hotel or anything, but there are tons of events held there. And not just horse ones. They use it for motor cross and bmx as well. There is a huge indoor arena, and at least 5 outdoor arenas. They have a polo field and a race track. They also have several boarding "barns". Rent is really inexpensive at about 65 a month, but for that you only get a 12x12 stall. No run, no shavings and you do all your own work. But you do get use of all the facilities, including the walkers and round pens.

People who don't board there, can pay a yearly fee of about 65 dollars to use the indoor and out door arenas, or you can pay a per day fee of $5. I am hoping to get an annual pass this year.

If Mo will make sure they are smart with the running of the facility then I do believe it can be a good thing. I will love to see pictures when it is done.

With huge centers in Kentucky and Oklahoma, won't the national and international organizations perhaps not use it enough.

Arizona has the Event in Scottsdale at Westworld, and AQHA congress is in Oklahoma, or Texas, with nationals in Kentucky. I would hope they project costs very carefully, so it doesn't wind up a white elephant.

A lot of the AHA folk claim the one in Tulsa kind of sucks, and Kentucky is too far east, so it's possible they would move Nationals to there if it wasn't cost prohibitive.

AQHA Congress is in Columbus Ohio, The AQHA World show is in Oklahoma or Texas.

I always thought there was a large hunter/jumper circuit along the East Coast and perhaps Maryland ( slash-Virginia) could be considered its' heart? I'm sure there are plenty of breed associations that would probably love to have another facility to consider. Also, as has been mentioned, these facilities don't have to be restricted to equine activities and the venue can easily become multi-purpose and booked for year-round use.

ApHC has tried a couple different venues, but Jackson, MS was a flop and I know some folks weren't too thrilled with Tulsa again. Worlds is in Ft. Worth and there are many that aren't too thrilled that they have to drive from ID or ME to Ft. Worth, and would prefer a more central location. I think this location in MO would do that. The biggest thing though is cost along with accommodations.

Cool.

Before you build it, make sure there is a demand for it! I think it is a good idea, GRANTED, they have shows and events to fill it with. At this point that really isn't the case.

If they're smart, they'll ensure they can put a stage over the arena to host concerts as well. Best idea when the economy is down. I am amazed at how versatile our local equestrian center is. I wonder if they build a big venue and call it an equestrian center for agriculture tax breaks?

The developer named in the story has a verified history of having hundreds of thousands of dollars in judgments from lawsuits and tax liens recorded (this is public record, not heresay). Plus a half a dozen current lawsuits that are not settled; cannot even pay for a coggins test for one horse. So I would first question why a municipality would conduct business with a person with this type of history? It appears the City has dollar signs in their eyes without researching the facts. The scope of this proposed center is outlandish and unrealistic. Does SW MO need a quality multi-purpose arena? Sure, the current option, the fairgrounds really suck. But something of this nature for this part of the country is unreal. Branson is 45 min away and cannot fill motels rooms and big country music shows are going out of business. The City is a fool for not requiring proof that this is not a load of crap....

The developer named in the story has a verified history of having hundreds of thousands of dollars in judgments from lawsuits and tax liens recorded (this is public record, not heresay). Plus a half a dozen current lawsuits that are not settled; cannot even pay for a coggins test for one horse. So I would first question why a municipality would conduct business with a person with this type of history? It appears the City has dollar signs in their eyes without researching the facts. The scope of this proposed center is outlandish and unrealistic. Does SW MO need a quality multi-purpose arena? Sure, the current option, the fairgrounds really suck. But something of this nature for this part of the country is unreal. Branson is 45 min away and cannot fill motels rooms and big country music shows are going out of business. The City is a fool for not requiring proof that this is not a load of crap....

where is the business plan? it should also be a matter of public record. the district attorney is not interested in this case either?