Sign in to follow this  
Sliding4Ever

And The Saga Continues

that looks great!! keep putting that stuff on till you see peach fuzz cover the while area. looking great.. how much under-surface swelling is left?

:indifferent:

So I guess my mare didn't like Claire getting all the attention. So instead of starting another thread I am just going to add her in here. The mare's name is Storm and the filly's name is Claire, so i'll be sure to put their names with the pictures now.

I just noticed Storm's cut today so I don't know when she did it but she hasn't been off, at least not that i've noticed. There's just so much mud right now that it was hidden very well. I haven't even ridden in a couple months now. I don't think there is any heat or swelling right now. She is pretty touchy with it though. She wouldn't let me clip it and I had to strech her leg out and rest it against my leg to put the Equaide on. It's the front of her front right about in the middle of her knee and fetlock.

Wow, sorry these are so big! :twitch:

Storm 2/12

photo-5.jpg

Storm 2/12

photo-6.jpg

Storm 2/12

photo-7.jpg

Edited by Sliding4Ever

healthy scrape.. the equaide will heal it fast.. it looks pretty good, maybe a few days, looks like about 2-4 days.. You can get the spray chloraseptic, the throat nummy stuff, and spray the wound, (of course your going to be washing it off, )it will help Some of the ouchy, and allow you to clean it some.. but do you can also use the baby teething stuff, but it is harder to get on the wound.. you have to wash it all off, cause it really hasn't much healing properties, just pain... but it should make it a little easier to put medicine on it. I hope your horses quit competing on cuts.

You just haaaad to say they are competing didn't you? Lol. Well now the score is Claire- 2 and Storm- 1. I was closing the hate after pouring Claire's feed in her stall and Storm charged. Well they're on seperate feeds and Storm does seem to colic somewhat easily. Claire is also becoming dominant over Storm so I was worried about a huge fight breaking out in the stall. All I could do was stand out of the way and yell at Storm to get out. Luckily she's a VERY timid horse and that is enough to really get her scared. Well that and she knows what out means and that her butt will sting when she dosen't listen the first time. So she tried to run out but was blocked in by Claire. So they slammed into each other and Storm finally comes out. Not fun. Anyways Claire has a small cut on her front left "ankle". So I put some Equaide on it.

Storm's leg was swollen this morning with a little heat in it. I tried to call the vet but the line was always busy. Tonight her leg seemed a little more swollen but I didn't notice any heat. I still have some meds from Claire but I don't know if I should give it to her or not?

These horses are killing me! :thud:

Edited by Sliding4Ever

So a few days ago Storm decided that what she did wasn't good enough. She cut that flap off. Which in a way is great because now I can get to what was beneath it. But now I can see what that bump is that had me concerned. It's dead? skin that formed a 'ledge'. I'm not sure what to call it but it sticks up above the rest of her leg. I feel like that flap needs to be cut so it can heal properly and look good. I will be calling the vet's office in the morning and see if they have a e-mail address I can send pictures to. I really want to show her in local halter shows this year. She finally let me clip and wrap it tonight so here's a few pictures.

Storm 2/22

photo-9.jpg

Storm 2/22

photo-10.jpg

Storm 2/22

photo-8.jpg

Well looking good aside from the swelling at the skin flap.. It will heal with a small line there, isnt much you can do about that.. Keep the equaide on it, and wrap as needed. Can you shave the area especially lower than the wound?? it will help to keep any drainage from sticking and causing problems with the skin.. will also make cleaning easier..

Sweety, I think you need to wrap your babies in bubble wrap!! I am sooo sorry to read this!

I'll shave the area below it tonight and i think I do have Vaseline in the barn. I called the vet this morning and talked to him. I email the pictures to him and he said he'll take a look this evening and will decide if anything needs to be done about that ledge thing. Hopefully he will remember. I kinda hope that he does want to cut it back do it will grow back prettier. It's been like from the first day I saw the cut but I couldn't see what it was. It might be swelling but the size hasn't changed one bit which makes me think it's dead skin.

It's seems like every time I decide to dO something with her something happens to her and it sets us way back. She was suppose to the trainer this weekend to get some lessons in trailer loading because its a least a hour fight to get her on, she was also going to get a little spook therapy lol. So that's going to have to be postponed now. Claire will for sure be going though. I really hope this heals ok, she would make a great halter horse. I've shown her twice and we placed 6th out of 12-13 horses, an this is pasture fit only with a ride here and there. So imagine what she could do if I spent more time with her to really fit her up.

you know you can do the spooky training from the ground, as long as she is not unsound and it is not bothering her.. moving her some wont hurt her a bit. Just make sure physically she is comfy with it.. I also dont see any reason once it start to close more of continuing your riding of her, it will help blood flow reach the wound easier to heal faster..

The vet may or may not want to do anything.. He might find it too intrusive to the leg. DO keep us updated on her!

Well my vet just emailed me back. I'll just copy what he said. "The thickness at the top is from normal healing and the granulation bed is filling in good, but the wound will?need to be trimmed in about 2 weeks.? As long as the wound is not?hot or painful, keep doing what you are doing and?give me a call in 2 weeks for an appointment to trim the wound".

Fun fun. Now should I keep her in her stall or since the bandages are staying up can I let her stay out even though it's really muddy??

?

Yay I talked to the vet and he said that working her. And sending we to the trainer is just fine as long as we keep it covered. Yay!! I'm waiting to her from the trainer to see what she wants to do. I don't know if she'd be willing to help bandage it. And I don't know if I can go out everyday to do it myself, so I don't want to make that comitment and not be able to.

Well I talked to the trainer Saturday and we decided to keep her here untill the vet looks at her in a couple weeks and go from there. She said that she didn't have a problem with wraping it but we are concerned about her only being there for two weeks before leaving for the vet trip when she might need to stay with the trainer longer. So she will probably go in two weeks or so after the vet comes out. And let me tell you. Storm's cut is doing really well. The swelling at the top seems to be going down, I'm really curious to see what it will look like in two weeks. Anyway I'm actually getting the wraping right. Not to tight, not to loose. :happy0203:

I'll get another picture of her's tomorrow.

Claire's cut is doing really well, just a narrow scab now. She went to the trainer today, and will be getting trailer loading lessons, and hopefully learn that rearing is no fun and to keep her feet on the ground. :wacko:

Good night all.

I am glad to hear healing is going well I can t wait to see photos. It is nice to know the trainer is thinking so much of you and your horse.. I am sorry bout the rearing problems.. those are some of the hardest to clear up!

Edited by kitten-kat

The rearing wasn't a "all the time thing". It was more of asking her to do something that she thought she was too good to do. But still dangerous non the less, especially since she comes up all the way. But she's a smart horse, so hopefully she'll get the idea soon. The first time the other trainer (who I take lessons from and will take over after her husband starts her) lunged her, she thought her husband must have been working with her because of how good she did. Well, the next time I went out to look at Claire to spend a little more time with her before buying her, she told me that her husband said he never worked with her. She's just a smart little turd.

I was very impressed when she told me that it wouldn't be a problem to wrap. Hopefully we can still hit a few shows before the season is over. Poor Storm is missing her buddy though. She was calm after we got back yesterday evening, but is still staying in the corner staring toward the direction that Claire left and calls for her every once in a while. :( I wish I could make her understand that she will be coming back. But when Claire comes back, Storm will be leaving for her turn lol.

Anyways here are a couple pictures from tonight.

Storm 2/27

The black spot on the top right is Equaide(?) that I couldn't get off.

photo-11.jpg

I tried to get of picture to show that the swelling went down.

photo-13.jpg

Is that the cookie bucket?????

photo-12.jpg

Sorry I haven't updated any. Once both of their cuts got to a certain point they just kinda... stopped getting better. So i've been waiting to post pictures hoping that they'd get better.

Here's Claire's cut now, she has a thin scar. Not to bad.

5/24

photo-15.jpg

Storm

5/24

photo-16.jpg

And Caire was home for a couple before she went to the people I bought her from to get a little work down to get her ready to be started. Just taking the saddle, bit and things like that. She was turned out with the her old gang which they have the back pasture that lets into the arena where their trough is. So apparently Claire laid down next to the arena fence and somehow scrapped her back leg up. Trainer was using Underwoods and she's been home a week tomorrow and i've been using Equaide. I'm not sure when she had cut herself though. Here's tonight's picture from that. She's scrapped all up and down her back leg, from inside, front, to the outside. Trainer said she will not be turning her back out there again. :thud:

5/24 This is the worst of it.

photo-14.jpg

Edited by Sliding4Ever

Awe man what a bummer.. Tell the people bout equaide.. they might try it next time.. that looks very angry!! I hope it heals really fast.. How is she moving on it?

I told her about Equaide but forgot to bring it with me when I went out and the next trip I made out there was to bring her home. It's not pretty though. Shes walking just fine on it though, and I can pick her hoof up to clean it with no problems. I'll get better pictures today to show it better.

My goodness! What a terd! lol, the filly I had was prone to hurting herself too... Dang young horses. Glad she's healing up quickly! Looks like I'll be investing in Equade when I get a horse again, seen WAY too many posts where this stuff WORKS.

It DOES work, and very well. I used it on my horse as well. Works great on people, too. I still have some in my medicine chest in the house for people use.

This stuff is amazing. Not sure if anything else can compare.

Here are some pictures from tonight. It is a bit red because I had to rinse it on some high pressure to pull the scabs off.

5/29 of course the best picture had a fly

photo-17.jpg

The top of her leg.

5/29

photo-18.jpg

And her whole leg, kind of hard to see.

photo-19.jpg

WOW healing fast.. and looks good at that.. I hope you will see the last of the clumsy horses for a while.. I am so glad to seee how well it is healing up.