Sign in to follow this  
Sliding4Ever

And The Saga Continues

My filly cut her leg back on the 18th. I was cold hosing it everyday and putting some salve on it. It started swelling and getting heat a few days later so I called the vet and explained where it was and how the cut was. And I picked up some Penicillin and two other things I can not remember right now. It was almost like someone sliced her leg and then stuck a finger at the very bottom. Because of where it is we are not able to stitch or bandage it. It is right below her knee on the inside. Well the swelling went down and so did the heat and everything was going good. But now it looks to me like there might be proud flesh. Opinions? The whole cut seems like it's a "bump" it was smooth and level with her leg up untill a day or two ago.

The day it happened before hosing 12-18

12-18-2.jpg

After hosing 12-18

12-18.jpg

Tonight 1-5

1-5.jpg

And my girl taken last night 1-4

SAM_0194.jpg

:smileywavey:

Edited by Sliding4Ever

It looks OK, but it needs proud flesh to fill in the gap. Then, you just have to keep it from over-growing the wound and protruding past the level of the skin.

We never put water on a wound after the initial clean-up -- never. Water makes wounds have a lot more problems with proud flesh. We also use Underwoods Medicine as it keeps wounds fro getting infected, keeps flies off in the summer and prevents proud flesh. Once the Underwoods has dried up the wound and the right amount of proud flesh has filled in the gap, we alternate between Bag Balm and Underwoods or Prouds Off. We use Bag Balm to keep it soft and help it hair up. If it encourages too much proud flesh, we put Prouds Off or Underwoods until the proud flesh is back under control and then go back to the Bag Balm.

We have used this method to heal up huge wounds where there was 3 or 4 inches of bare bone was exposed and they healed up fully haired and had almost no scar.

Thank you!

I think i've seen Underwoods at one of the feed stores (unless I have confused with Iodine), I know for sure they have the Bag Balm :questionicon: . I didn't know that I needed to stop hosing it though. He told me to keep hosing to keep the swelling down and to help draw out the heat. I feel kinda bad now, better to know now than not at all though. Does water cause problems because of the moisture? So at this moment nothing is "screaming" to get the vet out?

There are as many ways to treat wounds as there are opinions on the matter, and no one way is right. I personally find wet-to-dry bandages to be exceptionally helpful on wounds that can't be sutured. The important thing is that 1. you need granulation tissue to fill the gaps and 2. you need to prevent that granulation tissue from becoming exhuberent. Bandaging alone is enough to prevent proud flesh. There is no reason that this wound couldn't have a bandage on it. You'd simply need to stack wrap the entire limb from coronary band to above the carpus.

What Cheri posted works for her. Other people use any number of different ways that work for THEM. I personally recommend bandaging whenever possible and prudent use of an antibacterial & steroidal ointment (Panalog). The big thing is that no one here has physically SEEN the wound or had a finger in it (nor has the vet....) and THAT needs to dictate how the wound SHOULD be managed. If this were my case, I'd have sutured and stack wrapped the limb and the proud flesh point would've been moot. :)

Thank you for input cvm. What do you mean by stack wrap? Do you mean wrapping the cut with gauze and bet wrap and then maybe a quilt wrap on top of that? Do you think it is toO late for that?

"Stack wrap" simply refers to the fact that you'll have to stack several wraps to keep the whole thing up over the knee level. Typically you'll have to do 2 layers of standing wraps on the lower cannon portion of the limb to 1 layer stacked above for the upper portion.

Granulation tissue fills in the depth of the wound. Without a 'ceiling' so to speak, it will just keep growing and growing and growing upwards out of the wound until its above the level of the skin. The new healing epithelializing skin will not grow up and over the granulation tissue level, and thus you end up with proud flesh. By giving a ceiling to the wound--i.e. a bandage or dressing over the top of the wound--the granulation tissue essentially knows when to stop. As long as you don't have granulation tissue above the edges of the skin at this point, I would bandage.

Edited by cvm2002

I think this horse would greatly benefit from equaide.. ( www.equaide.com ) I would wash with a surgical iodine, and then put the equaide, on, I would then use a maxi pad, to keep the bandage from being ruined or sticking to the wound, and then wrap with a No Bows, wrap. I would wrap form the crease of the knee to the fetlock to prevent the bandage from slipping and give even pressure top to bottom to help with swelling.. I would also hand walk this horse daily, to keep blood flow and encourage healing faster.

I hate getting everything typed out just to hit the wrong button :thud: .

The feed store was out of the Underwoods so I think I will order the Equide. I have quilted wraps and polos, would that work or do I need to use no bows and standing wraps? And if I need the no bows, what size should I use? She's a 20 month QH and is about 14 hh.

I cleaned up her cut again but shaved the hair around it. But I deleted the wrong picture off my phone, which happened to be the best one. :thud:

1-8

1-8-2.jpg

This is from the side. Nothing is sticking out of the cut itself, but the cut as a whole seems to be a "bump" not really sure how to explain it.

1-8.jpg

NOt looking to bad.. keep it clean, and I am not sure the difference of the wraps, I only have the no bows cause that is what was offered.. but I would ask the others bout the wraps.. the wound itself "looks" pretty good though. Without being to see it in person, I can only say Looks.

I'm happy to hear it doesn't look bad. I scrubbed it with Iodine and picked some bad scapbs or dead skin off a while before those pictures. I tried wrapping it with gauze and vetwrap and then put some shipping wraps I have over that. The shipping wraps start of as fleece and then go to a soft material like a sleazy/slinky might be. It's all one length and go from the top of the cut to right above her fetlock maybe. Well that didn't work and both the vetwrap and shipping wraps slid down. I don't want to wrap to tight and do more damage. But the Equiaide is on order. Poor girl is not happy with me at all.

Once you get the equaide, you might not need to wrap, just paint the wound completely, and let it dry before turning back out, it creates a sort of scab, and will help keep the wound cleaner. You will probably find seepage, but that is normal, you will see inflammation go down pretty quick though, and it will heal pretty fast after that. I would follow the directions as close as you can.. clean every few days, and re-apply till the skin is completely closed and maybe a little after till you see peach fuzz.. remember though it will not be completely healed for a while yet, the scar tissue should be minimal, as you have taken very good care of it. Once the skin covers, you can do massages over that area to help the scar tissue to break down faster, it will also promote blood flow and therefor oxygen and then more rapid healing.. Keep up the good work, and keep the pictures coming! We love watching the healing process on here, it helps others too in case they go through the same or similar thing. We hate wounds happening, but we love watching the healing!! :)

Well I still have not gotten the Equiaide in yet. I ordered it Sunday night and it said 3-5 days so it should be here tomorrow. Heck by the time it come in comes I might not need it lol. Atleast I will have on hand for another time, or if someone I know needs it.

I'll take new pictures tomorrow after cleaning it up and then after putting the Equiaide on tomorrow.

And to top it off i'm getting a load of sand brought in! No more water in the stalls this winter! Whoot whoot! :yay:

Ok i'm getting restless for no reason, time for bed. :crazy:

I got the Equaide in today! Here's a picture today after cleaning it.

1/13

photo.jpg

Hopefully it will show up, I just found out how to email a picture from my phone to photobucket and then post it here. Pretty cool.

It is healing very nicely.. the equaide will finish that off nicely and you shouldn't have much of a scar, or white hairs. Your doing a great job, keep it up!

It's kind of hard to say. The only swelling is the actual cut itself and that seems to be going down, but i'm not totally sure anymore. It's been along time since i've had a big cut/scab so i'm trying to remember if it usually does kind of raise up like this or not.

some, but not as much as it was.. and sometimes not at all.. had a filly who got a cut on her pastern, silly little thing not much more than a scratch really, just below the skin, my mom told me bout it while i was on the road, she wasn't worried bout it, talk to her the next day and she is concerned, it was 3 times the size and angry.. cleaned it wrapped it with yellow goo, and made sure the wrap couldn't get tight, but not fall off either, Mom informed me each day on the road it was still on and she was impressed, (she couldn't change it cause filly tried to remove her head each time, was also reason for wrap) got off road 5 days later, unwrapped it with angry filly staring over my shoulder.. she was unimpressed with being shoved into a corner she couldn't get out of and then pinned so i could safely get to the wrappings and then scrub the wound.. Removed the wrappings and was shocked how small it had gotten, was healing very nicely, scrubbed, re-wrapped went back on road, 5 days later, checked and was almost healed.. didn't bother with the wrap, the wound was closed.. healed up very nicely after that.

another horse, same kind of wound, much deeper, didn't wrap it, used equaide, he never had any problems we cleaned it every 3-4 days, and just re-painted it, never had an ounce of problems..

another horse who's wound was treated by a vet, wrapped by a vet,( 1 inch above and 1 inch below the wound, the swelling that caused was horrible, when the owner got him home he changed the wrap every few days, using same thing vet used.. leg by the time i got to it it was angry swollen, and the slim cut then turned into a wide gaping gash that the proud flesh was half an inch stick out of, (in about a weeks time) when finally got to take care of it, I used a scrub brush to get it clean and wrapped from fetlock to hock, and applied equaide every 3 days, after first week swelling was half, after 14 days, wound looked the original size, 3 weeks later, and it looked like it had never been more than a scratch..(to think this was a TB race horse!! still the biggest sweetheart ever)

another Gelding who Scalped himself in a trailer, funny fella, anyway was brought to me with gaping head wound followed his forelock perfectly form point to level with his ears, used equaide on the wound, and scarlet oil on the fly-mask and in his forelock to keep from having to shave it, and keep the flies and such off.. Scrubbed and cleaned daily at first, then every few days, 7 weeks later, slight bump otherwise not even a white scar to tell the tale. (have photo documentation of that one.)

every horse is different.. some swell, some dont. I just kept them clean, once i found the equaide, believe me i keep it stocked. really helped a lot..

Wow that Equiaide looks like good stuff. I was watching this thread and it looks like that wound is healing so well. I should order some of that stuff!

That stuff really is awesome

This was Joe's head wound, it was pretty bad, but healed really well, these pictures are about 4 weeks time. And believe me, he was 16.2hh and happy to have his head cleaned, would lower it right down.. I am betting it felt better cleaned, the equaide took almost all of the swelling out, and all of the infection.. I was impressed how little time it took to heal!

compiledpiucs.jpg

Edited by kitten-kat

Wow that's amazing Kina! You can barely see anything in the last picture!

I have a new picture! It's looking so good now! Everything has filled now its just doing really good.

1/22

photo-2.jpg

Edited by Sliding4Ever

Looking fabulous!! I am pleased.. Keep using the equaide, it will keep it healing really well, and I think you can get away with maybe 3-4 day cleaning.. maybe longer if it isnt seeping at all, Gotta love when they really take off on healing!

LOL he did.. was horrible.. really big mess when i got him.. he was supposed to be 100% when i got him.. but alas, he did heal very well, and never had a problem with bridles sensitivity either.