Sign in to follow this  
kitten-kat

Would Like Some Saddle Oppinions

Ok Got some pictures of him in it and me riding it.. what do you think?? Far as I can see it fits him well, and he really moves out nicely in it.. he seemed very content and my saddle pad had a fairly even pattern on it when i was done.. I only rode him with a baby pad under it, and it seemed to fit him like a glove.. consistent contact front to rear of the saddle, with plenty of spinal clearance. This should give everyone a better idea about it!!

100_3940.jpg

100_3929.jpg

100_3933.jpg

100_3935.jpg

100_3927.jpg

I think I need to drop my stirrups down a notch, but i felt secure and comfy in it, and it felt secure on Daniel, didnt wobble, or rock, didnt really move at all!

100_3918.jpg

100_3923.jpg

100_3925.jpg

100_3922.jpg

My concern is that the tree might be a little narrow on him, as the pommel seems to be sitting as high as the cantle, and the deepest part of the saddle appears to be shifted toward the back of the seat instead of the middle. Otherwise looks ok. Try running your hand down the front of saddle between him and saddle and see if there is any pinching about 4-6" down. To me it sort of looks like there is little.bit of room between him and saddle tree higher up, but.may.pinch lower where tree points end.

Also, you may need a larger saddle size, kind of looks like you are crammed in...can't tell for sure as no pics directly from side. Can you fit 4 fingers.flat on saddle in front of you on pommel, and a hands width behind you (from your derriere to edge of cantle). Saddle might be encouraging a chair seat, but not sure!! Looks like a nice saddle though, flap .length looks.ok. :)

It's not back far enough, so the pommel is higher than the cantle, and the flaps are not totally clearing the shoulder. If you slide it back a titch more (girth too), they should be level. BUT then you must check for bridging.

I have a very hard to fit draft cross and can tell you from experience: Save yourself the headache and get a pro saddle fitter out to evaluate it. My gal saw things I'd never thought of and was able to point me in the right direction, which saved me time and lotsa money.

Edited by Chocomare

I tend naturally to sit a chair seat.. my back sort of doesn't quite allow for straight down on the legs.. I ma headed out to use it today, and have actually gotten it set back further, and he is happy with it.. as to me, I wear very loose clothing so it belays my size some.. but i can fit a hand in front and a hand behind in the saddle.. however it is about as close a fit as you can get.. I do however need to loose some tushy! I will get some more dirty pony saddled pictures today!

Chocomare is dead on. One of the hardest things I've had to learn to do is move that saddle back so that the girth is 4-6" behind the elbow. You're right about the choice in saddle, too! I threw my old Steubben dressage saddle on our Rockies and it was like turning the "ON" button. :shocked: That was two months ago, and it's still my go-to saddle!

Ok Kids, here are the new pictures... I am a chunk and had a c-section some years back, so i can only do so much with the belly flap soto speak..

Saddle moved back

100_4089.jpg

100_4088.jpg

100_4090.jpg

100_4092.jpg

100_4093.jpg

with baby pad, still not girthed up

100_4100.jpg

100_4095.jpg

100_4098.jpg

Ok Here we start girthed up photos

100_4096.jpg

100_4097.jpg

Edited by kitten-kat

Ok here is my chubby self on said comfy saddle.. Though I am not sure i like the feel further back.. seems to put my legs at the thickest part of his barrel, I have my hands one in front one behind.. (in front under said belly flap, where self is on saddle..) I have a Full hand in front, and 3 almost a full hand in back!! This is where I am touching the saddle only.. My belly does not ride on the pommel!! :)

100_4111.jpg

100_4114.jpg

and then some movement

100_4116.jpg

100_4120.jpg

100_4121.jpg

100_4122.jpg

100_4123.jpg

after the ride to show placement and if it stayed put.

100_4124.jpg

MUCH better!!! You can see it reflected in your position: Much more vertical, leg under you, straight line from back of head, through hip, through heels.

Edited by Chocomare

Couldn't have said it better, Chocomare. Your whole position is MUCH better! The picture with your heels down, your hips in line with your heels shoulder, and head.... dead on! Congratulations!! Oh, I'm thrilled you keep your elbows tucked neatly at your side! Nothing worse than chicken wings! Lol!

Oh thankyou, I will have to save up for a pair.. that looks like it would help a lot. I hate the c-sections.. ugh but the boys are healthy kids so i suppose it had its purpose!!:)