Sign in to follow this  
TinaCarroll

Very Nice Story

I know this should not be looked upon that every green horse person can/should work with a....scared/green/mean horse...but this is a wonderful story and it just goes to show what patience...calmness, and bonds can overcome.

I would say she was not green at all as she has/had (from what I can see) a very good seat and pretty good hands. I definitely see the improvement that the horse had, but there were still a lot of issues that had to be dealt with. I am glad for her that she made such improvement and huge props to her for staying on when he was doing his version of pirouettes!

I would say she was not green at all as she has/had (from what I can see) a very good seat and pretty good hands. I definitely see the improvement that the horse had, but there were still a lot of issues that had to be dealt with. I am glad for her that she made such improvement and huge props to her for staying on when he was doing his version of pirouettes!

I just figured she got a good seat because of him! LOL!

Awesome video. And she's DEF not green!! I'dve been on the ground EVERY time that horse got that squirrely. (In that English saddle anyway, I'm a Western rider all day long! I wish I could ride English better, I've always wanted to jump like that... :drool: )

That was one spoiled ******* of a horse in the beginning... She is lucky she never got seriously hurt.. same with the surrounding people, jeesh!

Mack - I agree. She is really lucky he never killed her. I am of the opinion that anything that will stand up with a person it's back is a dead horse. Especially when they are having a tantrum and stand up straight. If they go over on you, you can easily be killed or paralyzed. Just not a risk I'm willing to take.

I think he still looks pretty out of control in the newer shots he's just not bucking and rearing. :confused0024:

That's cool she was able to improve him so much. But IMO I think it was silly to be trying to jump with him if he didn't have a solid basis of ground work and flat work. Making something dangerous more dangerous with a silly horse just doesn't seem too smart.

Mack - I agree. She is really lucky he never killed her. I am of the opinion that anything that will stand up with a person it's back is a dead horse. Especially when they are having a tantrum and stand up straight. If they go over on you, you can easily be killed or paralyzed. Just not a risk I'm willing to take.

I think he still looks pretty out of control in the newer shots he's just not bucking and rearing. :confused0024:

I agree... still don't see that horse being under control.. He is a brat and needs a lot of wet saddle blankets

loopyhorse - that's exactly what I was thinking!

He reminds me of a horse I used to ride. He wasn't mine. I don't have any pix of him being ridden but he was a lot like Casper. Only if you managed to stay on when he turned into a crazy bronc his next move was to try to lie down on you. :twitch: He was soooo fun to ride when he was good though!

I definitly see a spoiled horse but she doesn't look like a green rider to me. Patience and calmness yes but horses like these take a lot of work and DETICATION!!! She didn't give up on him. Sometimes you have to prove to them that not only are you not going to put up with thier crap but your in it for the long haul. They don't change over night. It took an entire year. Also just goes to show you what ground work can acomplish. Good for her for sticking with him.

Aslo seems to me she got lucky! Him getting hurt turned out to be a blessing in disguise. It forced her to do what she should have been doing from the start with him. More ground work.

I also agree with what "loopyhorse" said about jumping him in the beginning.

Edited by Suniac

I am GLAD she did not give up on that horse!

Some have been that badly mistreated.

Glad she did not get hurt either, and the surrounding people.

But did very much enjoy that video

Thanks for sharing.

I dont think that horse was mistreated at all.. if anything, it was treated TOO well to be the spoiled rotten horse that he is/was.

I agree with those who said his accident was a blessing because it forced her to do with him what she should have done in the beginning and was get his respect on the ground first. You can see plainly in that video that at first it was way too much way too fast for him. She clearly had no control on the ground and makes me wonder why she thought she would in the saddle. Unless of course she was a good rider but not a knowledgeable trainer. Maybe green trainer would be her title instead of green rider.

6 months of ground work and quite frankly he still needs more. I still think she should spend less time jumping and more time learning basics. I don't think this horse is ready for jumping let alone competition.

This video only proves what most experienced trainers already know, the more time you spend doing groundwork means the less time you spend picking yourself up off the ground.

Wow, great video, and I agree she has a great seat and is an experienced rider. Glad the injury and groundwork worked out for them. I wouldn't be as brave to work through all of those issues with a horse like that!

all i have to say,very lucky ......she herself still has issues to work on, along with issues with the horse, this horse is mentally immature,for his age..,he knew what he could /can l get away with., will need to be worked consistanly..on the ground, ground driving wouldn't hurt a bit. I use to work/train horses like this , very high engergy high maintence , takes a lot of patience/ self-control, strength to work with horses like that..

this horse isn't mean, notice his ears are up, he is flicking them which menas he is listening, trying to to please, the probelm is sheis giving him mixed signals with her hands/body...probably doens't realize it..

If he was mean she wouldn't ahve been ale to accomplish wht she did with him...in the first place. No ringing/.swishign his tail, not putting ears back against his head, no snaking his head toward her.He is moving away from her, not toward her.

mistakes....

mistake number one/ when working on the ground, she didn't put her stirrups up, reason he is acting out,the stirrups are flairing , bouncing,hitting himThsoe are steel stirrups, .imagine steel knuckels hitting you.

When they hit him he is confused, acting on instinct his only recourse is moving away from them, which is why he si rearing acting up.

some of the riding,he is again unsure for she is giving him mixed signals with her hands /legs...at times she is sitting up to far on his withers,reason why the saddle appears not fit him right, loose, sliding up on his withers. reason he is refusing he is telling her something is wrong. She is posting to high practically standing up on .pushing with her feet, instead of using her thighs moving back forth, she is moving up .Again on top of his withers....

One has to learn to read the horse...... She needs few lessons in riding , to get her balance better, learn how to how correctly use her legs,hands She is also very tense she needs to learn to relax, for the horse is pickng up on her tenseness.which isn't helping esepcially with horses like him

overall she did okay with him....as i said very lucky.....

With more work/ time, this horse will be an awesome jumper...

Edited by Ann Wheeler