Sign in to follow this  
Denali07

Buckskin Coloring

I have a grey mare that I would like to breed. Is there any chance of her throwing a buckskin if so what would I need to breed her to. Or what two would make a buckskin?

A grey mare could produce a buckskin, unless she is homozygous grey. But you will have a 50/50 chance of grey. Beyond that, it will depend on the mare's color genetics. Do you know what color she was before greying out?

As Bryna posted, without knowing what color your mare was before she greyed, it would be hard to make any recommendations on what you should choose as a stud to try for a buckskin. Even knowing her color might not guarantee you'd get a buckskin foal. All depends on what other genes she carries that may not show up visibly but she could pass on to her offspring.

Whatever color she is/was, if you breed her to a Chestnut/Sorrel that will reduce your chance of a buckskin by at least half because they don't carry the black gene.

Black horse + Agouti modifier = Bay

Bay + Creme = Buckskin

Perlinos and Cremellos can guarantee a diluted gene in the horse.

Greys are really hard to breed for color, because the grey gene is dominant. Like the others asked, do you possibly know what color she was before she greyed out?

We had a grey mare that was born as a Red Roan, she has thrown greys, a bay, and even threw a red roan out of a solid sorrel stallion.

There is a REALLY neat website you can cross different colors and see what your percentage possibility is: Equine Color Calculator . I love this tool!

ETA:

Example of Color Crosses & Chance of Buckskin

Palomino X Bay = 29.17% chance

Perlino X Black = 70.31% chance

Perlino X Bay = 87.89% chance

There are many more cross choices and you can explore the genetic outcome of horses by using the calculator! Have fun! :smileywavey:

Edited by ++S.O. TURN 3++

Without knowing what the mare's genetic makeup is it is impossible to tell. My perlino stallion has sired 100% buckskin foals but I don't guarantee buckskins on mares with a gray gene or mares that also carry a single cream gene of their own (smokey black, palomino or buckskin mares). The reason for this is that the foal from a gray mare will be buckskin at birth (unless she also has a single cream and passes it as well and then the foal would be perlino) but if she passes the gray gene the foal will lose the color and become gray over time. With mares with a single cream gene of their own there's a 50% chance they will pass that gene along with the 100% chance my stallion will pass his and the foal would be a double cream dilute (and would be perlino due to the stallions other genes that get passed). Your best bet to get buckskin is to buy one. If you want to breed for one one horse should be a double homozygous black and agouti and the other a double cream (preferably a triple homozygous black, agouti and cream).

I have a buckskin mare for sale BTW....registered QH, foundation bred, NCHA money earners on her pedigree, eligible for buckskin and foundation registration, broke to ride, proven easy breeder and sells with a breeding to HZ tobiano son of a reserve world champion for a guaranteed tobiano that could be black, smokey black, bay, buckskin, chestnut or palomino.

You'd have better luck buying a buckskin colored horse that you would breeding for it. I'd take Coloredcowhorse up on her for sale page before I'd bred for color. Seems safer to me. BTW- A good horse doesn't come in a bad color, but bad horses come in all different colors!

She was a chestnut before greying out. I agree with you Zanit she is absolute an amazing horse. But my husband wants a buckskin colt so maybe we can just find one he likes instead if I can talk him into it lol. I would like to breed her though because she is such a nice level minded horse and so smart. I don't care what color she would throw. I am thinking about breeding her to my friends stud he is a chestnut and very nicely built ontop of level headed to but it wont be for another year at least

if she was chestnut you will have 0 chance of a buckskin. She could produce a palamino if crossed with a cremello. You would basically have a 50/50 shot of Palomino or grey.

No chance of buckskin if bred to a cremello -but if bred to a perlino, she could still get a buckskin. Best chance would be to breed to a perlino that is HZ black and agouti -then you would for sure get a buckskin, 50% probability it would go grey. Of course, depending what quality of stallion your looking for, finding a an acceptable stallion with those color genetics could be difficult or impossible. And even then, still just as likely you will get grey. So yes, if buckskin is important -definitely buy.