Sign in to follow this  
psmitty

Have You Guys Seen This?

Different, not sure about the rider doing the jumping that well. Of course, the mechanical horse did not jump very good either, but I guess it was better than being on a real horse, LOL Thanks for sharing,

Have a GREAT week.

I think if the point is to teach you to just close your hip angle, this might be a good teaching tool, so you are not interfering with the horse while learning. I know it would help me to go with the motion, while not riding a living breathing beast that has a far bigger jump than that mechanical horse. Maybe it would help in the beginning stages of jumping, or if you needed to go back and fix some jumping faults/habits.

The problem with that horse is that he doesn't have any neck motion, so his "jump" is really flat and looong. In a real life scenario, a jump is what...2-3 seconds? If that? And it definitely thrusts you out of the saddle more than that, even at a smaller height.

Is it meant as a teaching tool, or is it just like a video game? Is the helmet REALLY necessary??? lol

Edited by spacytracy

It would be more realistic if there was an operator with a joy stick off to the side that could make the horse throw in a buck or two along the way. You know, make it work like a mechanical bull ride! Then I think they would have something.:happy0203:

I don't think that anything you would learn from that would translate to riding an actual horse. It looks like she's balancing primarily off of her hands. I guess really you could try it hands-free, since there's no need to have contact with the dummy's mouth!

They have all sorts of them. They have a dressage one, a polo pony one and a racehorse one also. I watched the dressage one and it seemed pretty decent, I think the thing is to help riders improve their seat without worrying about confusing a real horse. The video I watched was a lady getting a lesson on the mechanical horse, so it was cool, she could work on her sitting trot and stuff without worrying about riding a horse as well. The jump one looks strange, the poor girl looks like she's having a hard time staying with the horse, but I can't blame her.

I could see it useful for like Polo players... but for jumping?? You would think it would feel really mechanical and not smooth at all...

That would teach you to NOT do some important things like leg off the ground, regulate stride, etc... Plus, no real feedback from the "horse." Interesting.