Sign in to follow this  
trainerunlimited

2012 Foal Watch For Josie ***pics***

Hey guys, I'm new here! I have a 2008 buckskin mare who is expecting her first for on April 1st, 2012! I haven't had a baby born out of one of my horses in 7 years, so am excited and scared at the same time.

A little info on my mare: I bought her when she was a chubby 9 month old. Not even 24 hours after she was unloaded off the trailer, she completely shattered two carpals in her knee and fractured a third. After several vet visits, she was deemed unridable because I couldn't afford a $5000+ surgery. She was on stall rest and daily hand walking for the first two months, then was slowly turned out into bigger and bigger pens. She stopped limping about 3 months after it happened and went to the vet six months after the injury. It had kind of fused together and she was sound, although he still didn't think she could be ridden.

When she was about 18 months old, I had xrays done again and told the vet she was never unsound on it. He said the bones had completely fused together and were probably stronger now than before! I got a clean bill to ride her!!!!

I broke her to ride when she was two years old and had three rides when, of course with my luck, she absessed in both back feet from running across the rocks in our driveway while playing. At this point, I didn't think I was ever going to get to ride her, so with a call to my vet, we decided to go back to the broodmare plan and I took her to SDP Buffalo Ranch to get bred to RC Fancy Step, a horse who now has over $350,000 in earnings in reining. She was there for two months and got bred three times via deep horn insemenation with very small amount of semen per serving.

I took her home and had her checked at 18 days on her third try, she wasn't bred! The rest in a stall with no freedom to race across uneven country did her a world of good and she was sound again! I put a ride here and there on her, but was really too busy with school to commit to breaking her fully and getting her broke, broke. She was always very sensitive and had no buck, she was just very green!

Her three year old year I decided to breed her to my friends really well bred running bred stallion, her last breeding date was April 25th, 2011. I also went to an Extreme Cowboy Challenge with her and competed in the first of a buckle series with only 24 rides on her in a year! She got first out of 6 horses in Novice Horse, and we got 2nd out of 15 horses in Novice Rider!!! I was exstatic and we even won $32!

We went again to the second of the series with about 45 days on her and won both novice horse and rider and came away with about $80!

The third challenge, she had about 55-60 rides and we got third in novice rider, and first in novice horse. We got beat by a faster time!

In the end, we won awards by coming in 2nd overall Novice Rider and won a buckle in Novice Horse!!!

It may not seem like much to people who ride and show a lot, but from a girl who completely trained a horse with a difficult history, it felt like we were world champs!!

Josie got checked and was indeed in foal, and is now due the first week of April. I have continued to ride her and she has about 90 rides on her in close to two years. I'm very excited about the baby!

She is bred to a chestnut stallion, so the foal will be either a bay,chestnut,palomino, or (not likely, but possibly) a buckskin.

I would really like to install a camera in her stall and have no idea what to do. I'd sure appreciate any advice on where I can buy one and what I need to do to get it hooked up! I am within 100ft of her stall and have a laptop, so would like to do a wireless cam that is night/day compatible. Pics to come soon if I can figure out how to post them!!!

Edited by trainerunlimited

Here are the pics I took today, she was trying on my new trail saddle and then a couple candid shots. She is at day 275, so we are getting closer!!!

100_6584.jpg

100_6557.jpg

100_6592.jpg

100_6588.jpg

Here are a couple favorites of her growing up below!

100_0946.jpg

100_1296-1.jpg

100_4075.jpg

100_6167.jpg

What a sweet and adorable little buckskin you have! I'm so happy for you that she has ended up being sound after all. I think there are a lot of things that it is important to have in a horse -but above all else, heart. Sounds like your girl must have a lot of it, to come back and make a rider after that injury. I look forward to seeing pics of her baby -and will be waiting with bated breath to see the RC Fancy Step baby, that guy is absolutely drool worthy!

Thank you! I haven't been on in a while, lol. I am anxiously waiting for this years foal, but next year's foal is going to be my dream horse!!! I love my little mare and think she is very brave for all the things she and I have been through. I am so glad she is!!!

Who are you breeding to for next year? It is exciting when you can start counting down til they foal in days instead of months.

I was dead set on breeding her to RC Fancy Step, he is a pally reiner with 350+k in earnings. Now, I don't know if I will. I would like to enjoy riding her through the summer going to Extreme Cowboy Challenges and Team Sortings/Pennings.

Here are some updated pics of her at 295 days or so for a side shot:

100_6881.jpg

100_6883.jpg

And some pics taken today at 302 days. She got her shoes removed and feet trimmed today, then here shortly, will get her shots, so she is prepared to have that baby!

100_6982123.jpg

100_6989.jpg

100_6984.jpg

Very pretty -closing in!

I hadn't noticed you asked about cams before. Here is my experience. I wanted to get a wireless cam, but found that I would be looking at around $400-500, plus significant set up. So I ended up putting a computer in the barn again, and using my old logitech orbit web cam.

Here is a link to the cam:

http://www.marestare.com/fcam.php?alias=willowvale

As you can see, the picture at normal light settings is pretty darn good, much better than most security type cameras. It also has a low light setting, so I can run the cam at night with only a few strands of Christmas lights in there. The picture is definitely not as clear, but I still have cover and can see what I need to. This camera is the logitech orbit MP, and has some really cool features -pan/tilt and zoom. I have pretty good coverage in a 12*24 stall -if she hangs out on the right side of the stall, I can pan the camera, and if she hangs out closer to the camera, I can tilt a bit. Fortunately, she doesn't stand on the wall underneath the camera, as I wouldn't be able to see her if she did. Only way around that is two cams.

You can buy the updated version of this camera, the logitech quickcam orbit AF, for $99.99 at Best Buy or on Amazon -that is the cheapest price I've seen. The ancient computer that I used to run the cam died on me last week. My camera is older and not compatible with windows 7, so I had to buy an older machine running XP pro on CL for $100. I was worried, but so far, so good! The newer version of the camera is windows 7 compatible, and when I was looking, they had cheapy desktops at best buy for $250-300.

I actually only have the desktop box in the tack room, with no monitor, mouse or keyboard attached, only the camera. It has a wireless card, and I have a wireless router in the house. I'm using windows remote desktop connection to remote into the barn computer from my laptop in the house, allowing me to control the camera and stream it to marestare. Works awesome!