Sign in to follow this  
luvmychip

Well I Did It...

So, events have unfolded in the last few days that somehow ended up in me acquiring my second morgan! I found out that my gelding Rio's breeders were selling most of their horses due to health issues. I know they hated to do it and I called them up for support and to give them some numbers of people who called me, asking if Rio was for sale. It turns out that they still had the little red filly that I saw when I picked up Rio at 3 months old. I mentioned how I had always liked her. She is Rio's half sister and a sabino marked chestnut. They said "come get her."

Soooo.... lol They made me a deal on the price and I went and picked her up yesterday! Here's a pic of her that they took. I will add more as I get them. Meet Rain!

Rain.jpg

She is going to be a heck of a project horse. Come to find out she's barely halter broken. At 4 years old! Yeah, getting her on the trailer was fun... :crazy: Poor girl, she had to learn to walk before she could crawl, but she's here now so I'll start from scratch with her. At least I know she hasn't been abused. I can work with that. She friendly, doesn't kick, and she's good with her feet at least. She just has NO concept of personal space. I'm actually glad it's winter; the perfect time of year for working on the basics. Despite the fact that after yesterday I feel like I've been playing tug of war with a tornado, I'm already in love. :wub:

Edited by luvmychip

She's a cutey! Look at it this way~ at least she is exposed to humans! Imagine how it would be with a mustang, some of which are a lot older! You will do just fine! My Rocky Mountain horse was not broke in till he was 4, and he is awesome. :happy0203:

Thanks everyone!! :happy0203: Yes, Graywolf, that is what I was thinking. It's not like she's fearful or afraid of people, and that makes everything so much easier. I'm letting her relax and get settled in today... "day by day" I keep telling myself. She doesn't like her face touched and it makes it tough to put the halter on, so that's where I'm starting. I brushed her last night and this morning, making every brush stroke closer and closer to her eyes and nose. We'll get there!

Nice looking mare. Glad she came to you. People friendly, and good with her feet, although barely halter broke, is not such a bad deal with a 4 year old mare. She has another year to grow before she is an adult, with many years of life ahead of her. You have plenty of time to get her trained.

Indianshuffler, you're right, it's not a bad thing at all. After working with two abused mares before her, this is definitely something I can work with. I'm really excited and I've already recruited my sister to help me show in Get of Sire! Once I get her going in a halter, I'll have to teach her to park. My only dilemma right now is what color of browband to get with her show halter.... I'm thinking blue, her brother has red and I just don't think that would look good on a chestnut. :questionicon: Decisions, decisions! lol

:yahoo: Beautiful Girl! :yahoo:

How about bright kelly green or yellow for her brow band? Both of them look great on red heads!

Edited by dondie

dondie, I hadn't seen any in those colors. It's hard as heck to find places to buy the tack for these guys. I was looking in National Bridle.

Pinto, you won't regret it! I love my QH's, but the morgans are truly something special. These guys want to be your best friend. :happy0203:

I thought we were supposed to have sun today, but I don't think that's going to happen! She's super cute! :D

You can see the sabino markings on her shoulder...

100_2185.jpg

100_2184.jpg

Attempting to get her to move!

100_2188.jpg

100_2190.jpg

:wub:

National does have colored browbands that you can change out. Just go to each page and click on the drop-down box to see what colors are offered:

http://www.nationalbridle.com/cavessons-s/102.htm

:smileywavey:

Morgans and Andalusians have always been my dream horses.

One of the reasons that I bought my MFT mare was the fact that she looked like a Morgan. The very few gaited Morgans available for purchase, were way out of my price range!

Then I found out that she did trace back to Justin Morgan! So I did get a horse of my dreams!

Edited by dondie