Sign in to follow this  
kitten-kat

We Has Baby

Ok here it goes,

Back story; 3 year old mare bought at auction middle to end may 11.. Not mine, but currently in my care for manners. Which she is doing wonderfully with.

she comes to me January, Looking like a little mare who was sick last year, and recovered well, and is putting weight on, and re-building top-line

100_4051.jpg

100_4052.jpg

Come today when I am grooming, I look under her belly to make sure there aren't any dingle berries, and today I find

100_4062.jpg

100_4063.jpg

She looks like this

100_4064.jpg

100_4060.jpg

I am hoping she is just a full mare in heat, but that full leaves me boggled.. I am only doing the majority walk, with little trot canter, still working on finessing Stop back into the equation with complete predictability. So am looking to opinions. Please tell me she is NOT in foal, she has not been near a stud since they got her, only time could be at or before auction, which calculations would put a very very near due date. Have never had a mare that bagged up this much without reason. She is 3 going on 4, maybe a little older than 4..

Edited by kitten-kat

Well, with a bag like that, I would predict a foal within 3-6 weeks as the most likely scenario. Sorry. Not for sure, but if she isn't in foal, than she's got something unusual going on. I would for sure have her palpated asap.

ETA -I just posted some pics of my mare's bag yesterday, under Annie's Foal Watch -she's probably 3-4 weeks from foaling, and her bag probably looks similar or maybe a little less full then this mare's.

Edited by Bryna

Well the owner is planning on making a very near future vet appointment.. Lucky My horses are where they are, vet is a few blocks away, so cheap call out. but man this doesn't make me happy.. We aren't sure where she should be to have the foal, My Mom and everyone i know says she shouldn't trailer at this stage of gestation, but I am not sure i want to raise up a baby for a few weeks till good to travel, then again, they have a smaller paddock, with a 19 year old mare, I dont know how she will be to share her home with a new babe. and we have absolutely NO clue as to what she would be bred to. UGH I hate unknowns.

Is it a long distance? I wouldn't be too too worried about hauling a short distance, (less than an hour), unless the mare gets worried or anxious about loading/hauling.

I wouldn't worry about a few blocks, myself.

Keep us updated? I bought a mare, vet checked OPEN and UNBREEDABLE...

Had a foal in May. LOL.

This is the public link to her foal watch album. LOTS of pictures of her udder (ninnies!) and vulva, spans a couple of months until the night she foaled.

Album Link

Keep us updated.

Feel free! :smilie:

I kept that album for that purpose - its a good record showing the progress. No mare follows the rule book, but most follow the basic guidelines!

Well it really does make one ponder doesn't it.. I am planning on twice weekly photos, A lot happens in the last weeks.. it will be good, I think the Kids involved that are still in school might like to use this as well, Figure photo Documentation will help any project they might like to make of it.

Edited by kitten-kat

Looks like "congratulations" will probably be in order. If the vet gives you a "yes" tomorrow then I have no doubt that you'll be able to handle the situation like a pro. But does this mean that you won't be doing the trail competitions this year? :unsure:

I had a vet tell me one time... if you haven't owned a mare for at least 11 months there is always a chance she may be bred. Especially buying one at auction, it is hard to say if she was with a stud before coming or if she was stalled next to a stud at the auction, was in heat and he bred her through the fence.

By her udder I would say she is either bred for has some hormones causing her to fill.

Well it is official, she is very very pregnant, vet got in about 6-8 inches and ran into FEET, So, she is due any day!! ugh.. Says she is very healthy, and foal is in correct position! So today we spent the afternoon bedding her stall, with sawdust and straw, We extended her stall out about 15 feet, and we are going to start upping her food intake just a bit.. after she gives birth, as per vet recommendation, she will start on Mare and Foal formula! So it seems for now her training is put on hold! She is staying where she is to have the baby to reduce risk up upset.

Edited by kitten-kat

Can't wait to see the baby. I wonder what you'll get? At least mama is healthy, and baby is in correct position. ((((((((((HFV)))))))).

Well what a surprise you got. Can't wait to see the little one. At least she is healthy and ya'll can get prepared before the birth. {{{HFV}}}

Of that I a hugely happy about!! at least we got to get ready! So far owner is hoping for colt.. I am just hoping healthy

Now as to the weather, it snowed last night, am not pleased.. but could be worse.

Well I am thinking by the weekend we might have a foal, she is progressing rather fast, today we have wax, and I can express clear liquid from her. she is MUCH wider.. so I figured I have to post more photos.. Enjoy!

100_4087.jpg

100_4085.jpg

100_4084.jpg

100_4081.jpg

100_4079.jpg

100_4086.jpg

Well BO said she is dripping today.. guess it is a good thing i am spending the night out there again.. head out about midnight.. AND killer part they fixed the barn lights!! YAY I wont need to keep the truck headlights on, or use a headlamp!! Am guessing if not tonight, maybe tomorrow at latest.