kitten-kat

We Has Baby

Apple looked like those pictures about 2-3 days before foaling. The night she foaled she had WHITE white milk dripping slowly.

Exciting stuff! Can't wait to see pictures, she looks VERY close.

Just want to mention something about the IGG test that people often don't consider. I agree that it is a good idea in mare that is dripping milk, and actually for any maiden, older mare, mare that has foaling difficulties of any kind, etc., and a good precaution for any mare whose foal you value very highly. I will definitely have the vet out and do one on Annie's foal, no matter what. That being said, what the owner might want to consider in their decision of whether or not to take that step is that a poor result on an IGG test calls for plasma transfusions. While the test itself is not spendy, plasma transfusions will likely run you several hundred dollars. A friend of mine had a filly who needed them several years ago, and she ended up with over an $800 vet bill. To my knowledge, (and my information isn't necessarily current, so please correct me if I'm wrong about this, cvm!), there isn't really anything less spendy you can do by way of treatment, so if you aren't prepared to pay for plasma transfusions, should they be necessary, there really isn't any point in an IGG test.

They are planning on keeping it, and they are taking the measures on learning as much as you can before it goes home.. I dont mind being midwife to this mare.. she sol far is easy to work with.. lets me do anything i need to check her.. and she has tons of patience. I am thinking the family will enjoy this experience.

My own opinion is that EVERY foal should have an IgG test run regardless of milk leakage or not. Its the cheapest thing you can do to ensure a healthy start. There are measures you can take in the first 24 hours such as Seramune and other oral supplements that can help boost a low-ish IgG. Also gives you a good idea of how you need to manage the foal. If its in the 400-800 range (i.e. low but not critical), you at least know that you shouldn't have that foal in a social environment and exposed to other horses or travelling or such.

Plasma transfusions are still cheaper than treating for septic arthritis where you may end up with a completely unusable animal AND lose your live foal guarantee or stud fee in the process.

Oh, sure I completely agree with that, don't get me wrong, I do an IgG test every time, and if needed, would certainly do the transfusions. Just saying that in this particular case, with an unplanned foal, grade mother, unknown sire, that is an expense the owner may or may not want to go to. I was not aware of the oral supplements however.

Owner is taking every precaution to make sure his Un-expected baby is healthy, So I am sure he will consider this as well! The only horse she has direct contact with is the one she has been with for the past few months.. she is otherwise segregated. Her and Daniel can talk through the fence! We are also limiting the Human interaction for the first week, only 4 people will be near Mama and baby at any one time. Me, The one who feeds and cleans the stall, the BO, and the Owner. That is about as limited on people as we can get.

I am thinking with the kick I got on my hand last night it will be a feisty one!

Oh my, is she still waxed and dripping? Darn, she's really making you wait. Well, good luck for tonight then!

Edited by Bryna

Still waxed, not really dripping unless she is laying down, and not really a drip, just the littlest amount! she is getting VERY FULL in the milk, I dont think I will have to worry about how much milk she makes!! LOL When i try to express, it is a slightly cloudy almost starting a more white/yellow appearance.. no longer clear as water.

2-23-12

428670_2724333310600_1325155684_31938929_2029021970_n.jpg

432365_2724346710935_1325155684_31938949_601793407_n.jpg

424989_2724344230873_1325155684_31938947_1853445060_n.jpg

427462_2724342190822_1325155684_31938946_2099532014_n.jpg

2-24

429081_2728943745858_1325155684_31940855_1501550869_n.jpg

416836_2728939105742_1325155684_31940851_1256288648_n.jpg

431601_2728944985889_1325155684_31940856_1870481907_n.jpg

395224_2728942865836_1325155684_31940854_1299833050_n.jpg

417099_2728940185769_1325155684_31940852_342853022_n.jpg

Edited by kitten-kat

Habe you heard about the milk test using pool strip testers? I did that with mare and it was accurate as it could be. Basically you just put a small amount of milk into a shallow container and get the strip wet and you compare that to the colors on the test box. I don't remember which colors mean what but it was very accurate for mare. But it tells you how close to foaling she is.

Edited by Sliding4Ever

Don't need pH strips to see she's getting close...nipples need to fill out but she may wait to do that until she actually foals so not a really good clue. I'd bet this afternoon/tonight. Mess with her as litle as possible as they can/will hold off until undisturbed. I've watched many of mine and have found when unbothered and just sitting back and watching from the house I can often tell when they are in labor and having contractions....if eating hay or grazing they will raise their head, get a kind of "far off" stare, do a bit of tail swishing that lasts maybe a minute and then the tail goes quiet and they go back to eating.....have seen this for several hours up to half a day out in the field before bringing them in....usually a foal within a couple more hours.

that is pretty much how it is, My alarm goes off, I look out the window, and see what she is doing, if I see no reason to get out of the truck, I dont get out of the truck!

Even tho its a surprise have fun with it tho enjoy it!!!!! i am sure she and baby will bring you lots of smiles and laughs....

Mare stare eek! Never again LOL

Don't worry her mare parts will pop (udder) and she will probably squirt milk a good distance *mine did*

Waits to see baby pics....

For those wondering I was a member for years but my login was lost so new one! No troll here

Edited by Icowgirledup

Awwww I can't wait to see the baby pictures!

It won't happen tonight...it is going to be tomorrow (2/26/2012) and it will be a filly! :happy0203:

Awwww I can't wait to see the baby pictures!

It won't happen tonight...it is going to be tomorrow (2/26/2012) and it will be a filly! :happy0203:

I hope you are right about the day then maybe I won't have to pay weekend rates to the Vet. But I really need a colt i have a wife, 3 daughters, 2 Mares, 4 hens and a female beagle living at my house....I NEED a Colt!!

I hope you are right about the day then maybe I won't have to pay weekend rates to the Vet. But I really need a colt i have a wife, 3 daughters, 2 Mares, 4 hens and a female beagle living at my house....I NEED a Colt!!

LOL! Well, for YOUR sake, I hope it is a colt!

But...I am not getting the feeling that it is. Maybe you are just destined to be surrounded by women. :rotf:

My mare had a small wax crust for a good 8 to 10 days before foaling. I dont see that she is quite as Vd as Id normally see right before foaling but shes a maiden. Im with CCH on the teats too...they fill and point down instead of to the sides right before but on a maiden, who knows lol... Im gonna say its a little further out that we think maybe.

Is she still eating well?

The last time we had a pregnant mare she had a nice bag, no waxing, normal preg pics. I knew it was soon just because of her size and uncomfortable swishing tail!! I gave her a bath and she was good as always. Ate her grain and hay. Checked on her at 12am and just grazing. Got up at 630 to get kids ready for school, look out the window and there was a foal nursing. WTH!!! We missed the whole thing. But we had a healthy feisty buckskin baby!!

Hope its soon and healthy!!

Here's today's photos.. She is pawing a bit, and thumping her tail a bit.. so hopefully tonight.. I am thinking I might have to get their early!! who knows. I just hope she isn't a day birth mare.

100_4139.jpg

100_4140.jpg

100_4142.jpg

100_4143.jpg

100_4144.jpg

100_4141.jpg

Told ya itd be today weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I am guessing an evening filly.

Edited by Blondyb

Me too.. every hour on the hour.. She sure is stubborn!! But she seems to like when i get there, she gets a snack!

When I woke this morning it was to the most lovely sight, Daniel looking through my windshield watching me sleep!! Guess that part isnt so bad!