Sign in to follow this  
BellahMia

Buying A Round Pen

Hey everyone,

I'm talking to my husband about buying a round pen to put in the pasture where I board my horses. I've never bought one before and am looking for good solid advice.

First, are you the only one boarding at this property? If not does the owner or other boarders know you'll be putting a round pen in the pasture? As for the round pen I got mine at Tractor Supply Co. I got the economy panels for a 60 foot round pen. Fifteen 12 ft. panels with a 6 foot walk thru. The 6 ft was only $4.00 more than the 4 ft walk thru. It has the drop pins to hook the panels together. Not sure what you wanted to know but that's my two cents worth. Oh, just in case you need it, Tractor Supply has lay away.

First, are you the only one boarding at this property? If not does the owner or other boarders know you'll be putting a round pen in the pasture? As for the round pen I got mine at Tractor Supply Co. I got the economy panels for a 60 foot round pen. Fifteen 12 ft. panels with a 6 foot walk thru. The 6 ft was only $4.00 more than the 4 ft walk thru. It has the drop pins to hook the panels together. Not sure what you wanted to know but that's my two cents worth. Oh, just in case you need it, Tractor Supply has lay away.

I share a pasture with another girl and am sure that the lady I board from wouldn't have any objections. I was thinking the other girl might want to go halves on the pen with me, if not, that's not a problem.

I share a pasture with another girl and am sure that the lady I board from wouldn't have any objections. I was thinking the other girl might want to go halves on the pen with me, if not, that's not a problem.

How much should I plan on spending?

$1000

I have an 80ft round pen that I bought a few years ago second hand. The panels are heavy duty galvanized steel. They are a pain in the *** to move and after buying it, I found I used it ALOT less than I needed to justify spending what I did.

Do you really need a roundpen or can you do what you want to achieve with a lunge line? I ask this because you board and supplying the stable that you do not own with your equipment is bound to create heartache.

$1000

I have an 80ft round pen that I bought a few years ago second hand. The panels are heavy duty galvanized steel. They are a pain in the *** to move and after buying it, I found I used it ALOT less than I needed to justify spending what I did.

Do you really need a roundpen or can you do what you want to achieve with a lunge line? I ask this because you board and supplying the stable that you do not own with your equipment is bound to create heartache.

I've got an 18 month old colt that I really need to work with and think that a round pen will give me the boundries he needs.

Please keep in mind that round pens are incredibly tough on young joints. If there is a reasonably sized paddock available, you'd be better off free lunging him.

I'll ditto CVM. When I broke my horse initially, it was not done with the help of a round pen. He was lunged, ground driven and had his first ride in a small paddock. Round pens do come in handy for alot of stuff, but they can also be a problem. My project pony last year was VERY ill towards them and I had to do most of his retraining outside of it because his attitude towards the round pen hampered any kind of goal I was trying to achieve.

My biggest worry would be buying the round pen to set up on someone else's property and most likely share with other people. It would piss me off to no end to see somebody else using my pen with their stupid nag pushing on my panels. The panels do crush under a horse's weight no matter sturdy they are, so keep that in mind when other people are using the panels you invest in. Another thought will be that the horses will more than likely use the panels if set up in the pasture as a rubbing post. That happened to mine this past year when I took on some friend's horses to help them out. Their mare bent two panels rubbing her tail on them and then their other horse attempted to jump the pen and didn't make it. She came down on one of the panels and bent it pretty badly and was fairly tore up herself. Cost to fix all of it? $200 from somebody that works on galvanized steel. Did their owners pay? No.

I use our round pen a LOT, and I think its a good investment. Would I invest in a pen to put up on someone else's property and allow other people to use my $1000 investment? Absolutely not. It'd be the same thing as buying a $1000 saddle and letting everyone else who boards there use it. Some will take care of it and some will not, and I would be tore up if I came out and someone's horse bent a panel. You can talk to them all you want about if their horse damages it, they are responsible for damages, but when it comes down to it, most people will NOT pay for those damages, or will give you a *** story about how they have no money and won't be able to pay...

Also, even tho you say the woman you board from shouldn't mind, have you talked to her? Having a round pen means that one spot will have tore up ground unless you put sand or something down. Also, that means the grass on that spot will dissapear. You need to get actual permission before you put something up. If you do buy a pen, I would NOT put it up in pasture. See if there is someway you can put it outside of the fence, that way the horses won't chew or rub on it.

I use our round pen a LOT, and I think its a good investment. Would I invest in a pen to put up on someone else's property and allow other people to use my $1000 investment? Absolutely not. It'd be the same thing as buying a $1000 saddle and letting everyone else who boards there use it. Some will take care of it and some will not, and I would be tore up if I came out and someone's horse bent a panel. You can talk to them all you want about if their horse damages it, they are responsible for damages, but when it comes down to it, most people will NOT pay for those damages, or will give you a *** story about how they have no money and won't be able to pay...

Also, even tho you say the woman you board from shouldn't mind, have you talked to her? Having a round pen means that one spot will have tore up ground unless you put sand or something down. Also, that means the grass on that spot will dissapear. You need to get actual permission before you put something up. If you do buy a pen, I would NOT put it up in pasture. See if there is someway you can put it outside of the fence, that way the horses won't chew or rub on it.

Former boarswe di have a round pen so there is already a place for it. And yes, I've been thinking about how I would feel if it got damaged. I'm just want a controlled area to work all 4 of my horses.

I just purchased 13 H&W panels and paid $62.99 a panel on sale at Runnings. The panels I got are heavy and connect with pins. We had a round pen and I never used it, because I didn't feel comfortable riding in it.(I'm claustrophobic so I always had issues that I was going to hit my knee on the panel) Plus I get motion sick and loping in that tight area really gets to me!! They are good if you need like a week on the ground just starting them, but after that they are kinda just a waste of money. So if you just want to work on getting respect with your finished horse, Just work with them on the line. But if your starting a colt, then yes you would like a round pen.

According to Clinton Anderson and his method, he prefers to use a 60 foot roundpen. And, it should only be used to start a horse of any age to learn to "hook" up to you and give 2 eyes for respect. Once these issues are established, the first few rides on young horses can be done in the roundpen, but then you need to move out of it. Therefore, the pen should be used only for as long as it takes for these training sessions to be met. You don't want any horse to rely on the rail in the pen as a security blanket. Be sure to boot your horse's front legs/ankles if you work them in the pen. Also, a used pen is a lot cheaper than new....and in this day and age you can get one easily as a lot of people are trying to get rid of their stock because of the economy. Good luck, and if it was me, I'd make it clear to other boarders that this is YOUR pen, not for them to use. We've done similar things at my boarding stable, and most people respect that. :rolleye0014:

If you get permission, get the panels for a 60 foot round pen then chain/zip-tie all the panels together so they can't be opened. Then chain & padlock the gate. Have three or four keys made, 2 back up keys kept at your house, 1 key if the other person goes 50/50 on the price and the fourth key goes on your key ring.

If you just "tell" people not to use something of yours. There will be some sneaky jerk who will use it when you or the BO aren't around. Chained or zip-tied panels will keep the jerk from pulling the pins, sliding the panels apart and using your round pen. Sneaky Jerks will be ones who trash and damage your stuff, because they don't give a _____ about other people's property.

Edited by dondie