WildCherryBlossom

Bruises From Riding

So I don't get to ride nearly as often as I'd like but EVERY TIME I DO, even for just a little while, I get bruises on the top part of my thighs, and I won't have done anything at all that should cause bruising. Just wondering if this happens to anybody else. I find it so odd.

Saddle too small perhaps? Happens to me everytime I ride in a saddle that's to small for me.

Edited by Flying Stars

Your hands or arms are hitting them. Probably at a run or sharp turns.

This is common for roping.

learning the rope and the dally-action on the horn...when you are new to it...tends to cause bruises. I suck at it, so I know I am banging up my legs and my arms. I even hit myself in the forehead and back of the head...alot.

I pretty much quit trying to learn. Not my forte.

I also see bruises on inside of arms.

I get stripes on my thighs from the rope when I pony my horse(s) sometimes.

Something you are doing is striking your thighs and if it is the top of your thighs...and you are not ponying or roping...it is probably your own arms/hands doing it.

Maybe?

If your seat doesn't fit or your stirrups aren't adjusted properly, you could be bracing or tensing up causing tightness in your pants, which could rub, also your own hands, etc. like TPL said. Hope you get it figured out....ouch!

Just a comment...

My medical book says bruises result from bleeding into the skin due to some type of injury. What you describe certainly qualifies.

"They normally fade slowly, change color as they do, and disappear without any treatment after 10-14 days. If any bruise does not fade or disappear, or if you notice bruises appearing for no apparent reason, consult your physician."

Ditto to all above and if everything is right and your still having problems.

You might need to take a few lessons and have an instructor evaluate your riding skills and body positions at all gaits. And check to see if your horse(s) have problems with gaits, leads or body movement that is keeping you from riding correctly.

Lessons with a pro can help even the best of us to become better riders. All of us get into habits that can get worse over time. Especially if our horse has a problem and we have been compensating for that fault with incorrect body positions.

Your independent seat may need work.

You might be posting wrong (too high, too hard, etc).

You might be sitting in a chair position with your legs out in front and braced too tight to keep you in the saddle.

You might be sitting with one hip higher than the other (most of us have a longer leg and need one stirrup lower, if not your hips are angled and your fighting the saddle to stay on).

You upper body might be leaning at an angle (too forward or backward).

I thought I was a very good rider, until I saw myself reflected on a wall of mirrors.

My gelding had to be ridden with a strong inside leg and it caused problems in my seat that tilted me slightly to one side. I hadn't noticed what I'd done to compensate. So both horse & rider required re-training.

I get those too... but only during Naughty Horse moments... like rearing fox trotter that needs to be ridden more often... Solved the one problem of multiple random bruises, when I sold my big blue bucking horse. :crazy:

Ok lots to respond to, I'll try not to miss anything.

My saddle fits great

I'm not hitting myself, it happens even when I do nothing but ride at a walk

I'm not extremely experienced so I'm sure I'm not doing EVERYTHING right

It is possible that my stirrups have been to short

My friend who has done A LOT of training saw me ride today and said my posture and arms were great but my my stirrups were a bit short and she tweaked the way I held my legs a bit

We'll see if there are bruises tomorrow lol

I do have a bit of a naughty horse, he was spoiled rotten and never ridden for 3 years before I got him, he's still in progress (so much better than he was) but it's hard to keep him in one gait, he tries to go back and forth. And when he's ready to go home, the spinning in circles, backing up, and rearing attempts start, went through that today, we got him past it though.

So yeah, my guess would be short stirrups, improper leg positioning, naughty horse, or any combination of those.