kitten-kat

Would Like Saddle Oppinion

Ok went to Wyoming to see my Mom this weekend.. I picked up the family saddle, It is an older Saddle King of Texas saddle, round skirt, 16 inch seat, and plenty of strings (ok they need replacing) to tie things with.. There aren't any Serial or ID numbers anywhere I can find. It has a raw hide tree, and the fleece is original! I am going to be doing a semi deep clean on it, as that is all it needs ( good wipe down, Polish and then clean fleece deeply.. it has life to it, but i know ti can have more.. I cleaned this saddle last 5 years ago!) Soo, tell me what you think and what you might know about the maker!

Huge thanks in advance. as to the year it was made, your guess is as good as mine, it has been in my family 25-26 years, and was owned for quite a number of years before then.

100_4276.jpg

100_4278.jpg

100_4281.jpg

100_4282.jpg

100_4284.jpg

100_4285.jpg

100_4286.jpg

Cool concho for the offside girth strap,

100_4287.jpg

it doesn't even have Blevins buckles..

100_4288.jpg

Saddle King of Texas is a Branded name of Saddles from the Ozark Leather Company, they have several Saddle Makers manufacture Saddles for them, not sure which one made this Saddle.

I would say by the low cantle height this on was made in the early to mid 70's

Saddle King of Texas is a Branded name of Saddles from the Ozark Leather Company, they have several Saddle Makers manufacture Saddles for them, not sure which one made this Saddle.

I would say by the low cantle height this on was made in the early to mid 70's

I must disagree. The stirrup leathers appear to be "to tie." That would place it farther back in time. After they stopped using ties, saddlemakers went to using "quick change" buckles designed by Al Ray. Those buckles could rust shut so it was difficult to make needed adjustmants in the length of stirrup leathers.

After WWII an ex-navy man designed the Blevins buckles that are used so much today. A lot of the saddlemakers were slow to take up the Blevins buckles, but customer demand finally caught up with them.

I can vouch it could not have been made in the 70's.. the man whom gave it to my family, said he had it about 25 years before we got it.

Ok So I wrote the Ozark company, and this is their response

((Quote:

Renee,

It looks like you've got a very nice looking classic saddle. It was manufactured in the Mid-sixties and distributed through the Montgomery Wards catalog all over the U.S. It would have retailed for about $90 in the sixties and could resell today for anywhere from $150-$500 depending on the condition of the leather and the fleece as well as how much of the saddle is original. Your saddle looks to be mostly original and in good condition; the stirrups are not original for sure. I couldn't tell you which of our builders made the saddle, but it was handmade in Waco, Tx.

Thanks,

Thomas Dunn

Ozark Leather Company

Saddle King ( end quote)

was cool to learn about it!

It is a way comfy saddle, and is holding up for its age..

I never have known its real age.. we always say " he Said" cause it is always "Hear Say".. and never fully reliable.. but I did know it wasn't made in the 70's! LOL

LOL looks so similar.. I Love mine, we have had it in out family 20 years, and it has never failed to do the job, and do it comfortably. I like the detail on your better though!

I agree they are heavy as heck.. it is good thing Daniel has gotten a good bit of size this past year and a half, it helps him carry this saddle well.. Surprising part is it didn't fit him when i first got him 5 years ago.. he swam in it.. I have to take it out with me this upcome week when I go out there.. he looks so nice in it. and Man does it fit him now.

Do you have the contact info that I can have so I can find out more on my saddle ? I would love to know more about it :) . I cant believe how much Daniel has filled out and grown up over the years . He is such a nice looking boy :happy0203:

Looks a lot like the saddle I got from saddletramp :) I LOVE it and it is very comfy for sure :)

Yeah, and I really ripped her off on the price! Not really. I'm a sucker for an attractive woman!