cvm2002

Shaks Baskette Breeding Blog

Come on ladies... The foal will still be in utero at Christmas. But surely someone (other than me, I cannot afford a horse) has a late April or early May birthday. :grin:

Tracy

You guys are just a riot now don't you think? Pfft....if you want the foal, you take the dang mare and sit up with her for 3 1/2 weeks when she goes overdue.

Tomorrow's the big day. Early scan, hopefully to order for collection Wednesday and breed on Thursday. Keep your fingers crossed.

You guys are just a riot now don't you think? Pfft....if you want the foal, you take the dang mare and sit up with her for 3 1/2 weeks when she goes overdue.

Tomorrow's the big day. Early scan, hopefully to order for collection Wednesday and breed on Thursday. Keep your fingers crossed.

For that foal? If all I have to do is sit up for 3 1/2 weeks........HECK YEAH!!! Bring her on down to Tn and I'll sit up with her. :happy0203:

Start thinking pink!!! Ultrasound this morning: Left ovary 29x24mm Uterus: poor tone, 3+ edema. Its a little earlier than what I would prefer, but if I wait for Friday's collection we'll probably be too late. She has all of today and all of tomorrow to get to a 35mm and then I'll induce ovulation tomorrow night with Sucromate (Deslorelin). Have contacted the stallion's people and he's scheduled for a collection tomorrow, for arrival on Thursday.

Semen collected, processed and en route!! Have my tracking number. Baskette will get Sucromate to induce ovulation tonight!!

ETA: For clarification, she will not ovulate tonight. :) She'll get the injection tonight, ovulation is typically 24-48 hours after.

Edited by cvm2002

....and the deed is done!!! Equitainer arrived around 3:00pm, but I was on farm calls all afternoon, so had to wait until after work. Pre-breeding ultrasound shows a 39mm follicle that was quite irregularly shaped. Generally that's a good thing; as the follicle starts to collapse the shape changes from round to oblong to oblong with a neck. Uterus had poor tone and very little edema. That also is a good thing. Typically edema peaks about 24 hours before ovulation and then wanes. So she had a lot of edema on Tuesday and very little today. Good. :) Cervix short & relaxed.

So bred via AI, all went well there. Nice stringy cervical mucous (really....that's good. Makes nice channels for the sperm to swim through). Checked the sperm motility with a portable microscope and everything looked great. They were really not happy cold, but once the sample heated up (just the drop or two to check under the microscope, not the whole deal) they were much happier and swimming as they should.

She has a history of retaining fluid post-insemination, so I will lavage her (flush the uterus) late tonight. Some mares will mount a pretty decent inflammatory response to the semen and/or the extender that's used, so by lavaging you flush out the scuz. It worked last time I bred her, so we'll try it again this time. I'll ultrasound her again tomorrow evening to confirm she ovulated. If she did not, she'll be bred with the 2nd dose tomorrow evening.

Yeah!!

:angel3: For a Filly!

I'm kicking around the idea of having my Fox-trotter Nikita bred next year to a lovely well built cremelo stud being used as a working cow horse.

The lavage went better than I thought it would. Ran 3 liters in and got darn near 100% return on it. The first liter back was pretty cloudy with mucous clots, 2nd liter just a little turbid, the third liter practically clear. Oxytocin injection to help clear the rest. Re-ultrasound tomorrow night and hopefully she's ovulated. If not, we do this whole process over again.

The downside? My mare currently HATES me. Just the mere sight is enough to pin her ears. But as long as I keep bring carrots, she behaves herself.

Oh, have to share a funny from earlier this evening. I was working in Baskette's stall; had a little folding table set up so I could just do everything in one place. When I was done, I turned her loose, but still contained between the stall and run-out. I was checking the semen under the microscope and realized I had a shadow. She was standing over my shoulder watching. Jokingly asked her if she wanted a look at the boys and wouldn't you know that darn mare put her face right in the microscope. *rolls eyes* What a character!

I'm so glad you decided to do this thread. I'm really learning a lot. I hope when you ultrasound tonight that everything is going as planned. Praying for your filly!!

OMG what a character, she wants to be a vet in her next life!!!

OMG what a character, she wants to be a vet in her next life!!!

More than likely. Also just as likely that I come back as a mare.....

Will ultrasound again tonight to confirm she ovulated. If she did, we wait about 2 weeks. Preg check at 14-16 days. If she hasn't ovulated, we go through the whole process again tonight.

YES!!!! Ovulation confirmed!! Timing is perfect, no retained fluid and I double checked the remaining semen dose and its awesome! All the parts are there, Mother Nature takes it from here... To be continued in 2 weeks!

Come on Mother Nature! Best wishes for a routine pregnancy, a safe delivery, and a healthy mare and foal. :)

Come on Mother Nature! Best wishes for a routine pregnancy, a safe delivery, and a healthy mare and foal. :)

and then safe shipping to SD :)

This is a very interesting thread. I'm enjoying it and learning, as I will soon be taking this journey of AI. Thanks for all the information!!!!