cvm2002

Shaks Baskette Breeding Blog

*COUGH* trying not to pass out here....Just got the bills for the collection fees & FedEx. One collection & shipment is 1/2 as much as the breeding fee. Dang mare BETTER be bred!!!

Oh wow.... I feel luCky then... Everything is included in my stud fee....

*COUGH* trying not to pass out here....Just got the bills for the collection fees & FedEx. One collection & shipment is 1/2 as much as the breeding fee. Dang mare BETTER be bred!!!

Whoa!!!

Thinking PINK!!

Just for an idea of pricing and completeness sake on the "blog"

Here's the breakdown on costs thus far. Obviously a little skewed because I'm the mare's owner AND vet, so I don't have farm call or fees other than expenses of what I've used.

Stud fee: $1000 (Discounted breeding special, regular stud fee is $2500)

Stallion handling fee: $175

Vet Collection fees including Equitainer rental $223

Fed Ex shipping overnight fees $122.75

Fed Ex shipping 2nd day BACK to Florida: costs pending.

Wow definitely a lot of work (that I wasn't aware of) for AI! Very interesting thread CVM! I bet this is going to be one awesome foal!! Can't wait! :smilie:

Edited by saudimack

OK.....For EVERYTHING I"ve done at our clinic's costs:

Farm Calls x 9, 12 mile call $47 each = $423

Ultrasounds x 8, 1st @ $73.40, additional @ $45.55 = $392.25

Uterine Culture: $54.50

Uterine Cytology: $28.65

Estrumate injection: $20.85

Deslorelin injection: $68.80

Artificial insemination: $45.20

Uterine Lavage: $70.85

3 liters LRS: $7.55/ea = $22.65

Oxytocin injection: $10.80

Grand total of mare veterinary care (thus far): $1137.55

Plus Farm call and pregnancy ultrasound next weekend....

And does everything that you have done have to be done? The cultures and ultrasounds?? Things like that?

I've probably done more ultrasounds than would be typical for the average mare owner. I do advise culture/cytology although many owners will elect not to. On the same note, many stallion owners require proof of a negative culture prior to shipping semen. You can certainly get the mare bred without hormonal intervention, but its a bit of a risk when shipping semen. Stallion "people" in all honesty are making things more and more challenging with strict M/W/F collection schedules or even days/odd days and more and more notice before collection. You're supposed to be able to predict the future in some cases as the mare's vet. If you leave Mother Nature to get the job done, we'd never get mares bred. When I originally talked with the stallion people, they requested 48 hours notice BEFORE collection. That's predicting almost 5 days in advance how that mare's cycle is going to go. Thankfully, my stallion's schedule was pretty relaxed and they were willing to do whatever needed to be done. I let them know when I would be short-cycling the mare and initially checking the mare, so at least we had that much warning. I ordered semen on a 29mm follicle which continues to blow my mind that everything worked out....

How long do you have before you need to inseminate? Is the sperm good if stored properly for a week or so? Ie only bred with my stallion in pasture so not sure, not that I will be doing it any time soon.

Just for an idea of pricing and completeness sake on the "blog"

Here's the breakdown on costs thus far. Obviously a little skewed because I'm the mare's owner AND vet, so I don't have farm call or fees other than expenses of what I've used.

Stud fee: $1000 (Discounted breeding special, regular stud fee is $2500)

Stallion handling fee: $175

Vet Collection fees including Equitainer rental $223

Fed Ex shipping overnight fees $122.75

Fed Ex shipping 2nd day BACK to Florida: costs pending.

+

OK.....For EVERYTHING I"ve done at our clinic's costs:

Farm Calls x 9, 12 mile call $47 each = $423

Ultrasounds x 8, 1st @ $73.40, additional @ $45.55 = $392.25

Uterine Culture: $54.50

Uterine Cytology: $28.65

Estrumate injection: $20.85

Deslorelin injection: $68.80

Artificial insemination: $45.20

Uterine Lavage: $70.85

3 liters LRS: $7.55/ea = $22.65

Oxytocin injection: $10.80

Grand total of mare veterinary care (thus far): $1137.55

Plus Farm call and pregnancy ultrasound next weekend....

= :thud:

:rotf:

I ordered semen on a 29mm follicle which continues to blow my mind that everything worked out....

So how big is a follicle then when ovulation occurs? Why is ordering on 29mm and it all working shocking?

another ?? Are you just wanting a filly or was there some sort of procedure done to separate the little swimmers into boy and girl swimmers so you get a filly?

Viability in the Equitainer will vary from stallion to stallion. I would say the MAXIMUM I would ever consider using is 72 hours. Stallion semen is not particularly hardy and is pretty delicate once its out of the stallion.

Follicle size at ovulation will also vary. Some mares go off 25mm (those are tough mares to track!!!), some go off 60mm. 29mm is small and without hormonal intervention, I wouldn't have ordered. The only good thing was that with the uterine edema that went with it, I knew it was an actual heat cycle. SOme mares will hold 30-35mm follicles through the diestrus period as well. So presence of a follicle does not mean the mare is in heat.

And no....no sperm selection done. I would just like a filly this time around. :)

Hmmmm....interesting....Baskette just pushed Bunny off her feed dish. Typically its the other way around. No. No, I'm NOT reading anything into it. :)

Sigh, another long week to go...

CONFIRMED IN FOAL!!!! Ultrasound at 15 days post-ovulation is positive!! Everything looks great at this point. Whew......I was sweating this one!

IMG_0340.jpg

Isn't she the most beautiful thing?? So what you're looking at here: Big black hole to the right = 15 day embryonic vessicle. Small black hole to the left is the endometrial cyst that had been previously noted. Which is WHY you note those beforehand. Otherwise it could be confused with a twin pregnancy.

So from here: I will rescan her in about 2 weeks to confirm there is a heartbeat. The endometrial cups which secrete the hormone chorionic gonadotropin will typically develop by day 35. We typically advise a 2nd check prior to this event, as if you have a non-viable pregnancy or some problem and you don't eliminate it prior to cup formation, many times the mare will NOT return to heat until the cups degrade over the course of 3-4 months.

So from here: I will rescan her in about 2 weeks to confirm there is a heartbeat. The endometrial cups which secrete the hormone chorionic gonadotropin will typically develop by day 35. We typically advise a 2nd check prior to this event, as if you have a non-viable pregnancy or some problem and you don't eliminate it prior to cup formation, many times the mare will NOT return to heat until the cups degrade over the course of 3-4 months.

First off : WHOOT!! Congrats :)

Second : THAT is some good info that I did not know. I shall actually file and use this knowledge :) hehe

28-day pregnancy rechecked performed and normal development & heartbeat confirmed!! I somehow managed to record the ultrasound for you all. I had one arm in the mare ultrasound and was holding my iPod in the other to record, so please forgive the herky-jerky camera action!! Next check will be an attempt at fetal sexing around day 70 or so....

Edited by cvm2002

28-day pregnancy rechecked performed and normal development & heartbeat confirmed!! I somehow managed to record the ultrasound for you all. I had one arm in the mare ultrasound and was holding my iPod in the other to record, so please forgive the herky-jerky camera action!! Next check will be an attempt at fetal sexing around day 70 or so....

Insanely cool, thank you for sharing!