cvm2002

Shaks Baskette Breeding Blog

This is awesome! Been following the whole time like the lurker that I am but that video was too cool. Love learning this stuff!

And I'll also think pink for ya!

Well, tonight was the night for our attempts at fetal sexing. Fortunately, she is still pregnant! Unfortunately, I was not able to get a good enough view of the fetus to determine gender. I could've kept at it, but to me, it wasn't worth the risk of damaging either Baskette or the foal in the attempts. Especially for a "just because I can" procedure. So everything is developing as expected, Baskette is feeling and looking good.

So this will probably wrap up this thread until we start doing belly pictures and foal watch!!!

Does anyone have any questions about anything I did or didn't do?

I don't have any questions but just wanted to say Thank You for doing this thread. Its been very informative. And I can't wait to see the foal that you get next year!!!

Thank you for this thread. It was very interesting and informative. (((((((HFV)))))) to Baskette, and hope the foal turns out to be all you want and more. Looking forward to the foal watch.

Edited by N4L

Can you do the fetal sexing at a later time in the pregnancy? I am going to have my mare checked again at the 5 month mark when she get the first round of shots. If so I might do the ultrasound instead of palpate.

I don't have any questions but just wanted to say Thank You for doing this thread. Its been very informative. And I can't wait to see the foal that you get next year!!!

Ditto! This has been wonderful, and I am so excited about this foal!

Can you do the fetal sexing at a later time in the pregnancy?

It can be done, but you're looking for different anatomical structures as the fetus gets older. At 60-70 days, you're looking for position of the genital tubercule, which will become the ****** in a colt or the vulva in the filly, relative to the position of the femurs and rest of the body. At 5 months, its a notoriously difficult time to ultrasound OR palpate, as the uterus flops over the pelvic brim making it hard to find (often times you're feeling for ABSENCE of the uterus, rather than the actual thing!), but the fetus is too small to truly palpate. Based on gestational age, It can be done either mid-term trans-rectally or trans-abdominally as you get further and further out.

A lot depends on the experience of the ultrasonographer, which is where my problem may have been. I've ultrasounded plenty of mares and diagnosed plenty of pregnancies, but haven't looked at the fetus in that fashion before.

Quick update....just put blankets on everyone today. Had to let Baskette's straps out about 6" since SOMEONE'S getting a baby belly!!!

New Baby Daddy pictures!!! We went on a vacation to Florida for my sister-in-law's wedding and made a side trip to go meet Bugatti in the flesh! Here's the handsome man. After meeting him in person, I am even MORE excited about this foal!!

IMG_6808.jpg

IMG_6805.jpg

IMG_6771.jpg

Wow!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see this baby! I hope bunny doesn't get jealous and depressed......I guess you could send her to Indiana of she gets too jealous of the new baby!

He is gorgeous! This thread makes me want the good old days to come back when I was breeding 5 to 7 mares a year. I truly miss the entire breeding process from start to finish. Good like to you and that Mama.

I think it will be a boy though. Sorry. :confused0024:

Biggest problem is getting pictures when its 1) daylight when I get home from work and 2) not raining. Which in Washington, that might not be until after the foal is born. :) As soon as I can, I will.

OK....as requested. here are Baby belly pictures. She's freakin' huge.....

IMG_7136LR_zpsab20f244.jpg

IMG_7138LR_zps178f7770.jpg

This is what she looked like in January before she foaled Wolf: (5 days different timing from breeding to breeding. May 5 with Wolf's pregnancy, May 10th with this one)

Baskette7moPreg.jpg

Edited by cvm2002

Was out playing vet this evening and Baskette was (over)due for her Pneumabort vaccine. I re-x-rayed her bum knee just to keep it current in her file and figured between x-rays and vaccination, I might as well palpate her. Most certainly still in foal. Baby was sleeping and not particularly active but I got a good nudge or two. :) Just a couple months to go! Based on 340 days gestation from last breeding date, she SHOULD be due April 15. She went just short of a full year with Wolf however. If she decides to repeat THAT stunt, that will take us to about May 7. Please.....Please.....Baskette....don't do that again. :)

LOL... It is on my bucket list to watch a foal be born in person, not just on Marewatch.

I hope she stays around her due date for your sanity.