charleybarleo

Buy Or Not To Buy?

Found a nice bay mare for sale from an old friend that is getting out of the business.... She's 12 years old, broke as a 2 year old never rode again and has just raised a few foals. I don't really want to get in the breeding business but thought about maybe raising one or two. I've got a friend that has a great stud that I've loved for years but just really don't care for the breeding on the mares he has so don't really want to buy a colt from him but would love to have a colt from his stud. The mare I'm thanking of buying has Three Bars and Peppy on her papers and I've always loved the Three Bars close up, and thats getting really hard to find. I keep telling myself I don't need another horse and I don't need to raise a colt but I really like this mare and thank she would cross good with the stud I like...... Best part, the guy will sell me the mare for $200.00 because he just wants out of the business, and we've know each other for years. I hate when my little voice tells me one thing and my brain tells me some thing different...LOL

Go for it. You know that deep down inside you want to. Plus how often do find the those bloodlines up close? :happy0203:

Its not people like you who are the problem, its mass breeders....so go for it! I find raising babies alot of fun! theres so much you can do with a youngster to turn them into an amazing horse! Its always been very rewarding to me.....

Since the breeding figures are way, way down......100,000 fewer QH mares on breeding reports now compared to 10 years ago...most of those in just the last 5 years, 76% decrease in mares on Paint breeding reports, less than 5000 Arabs registered in the last year for which stats are available...I don't think the breeding issues are all about "mass breeders". One of the oldest and possibly the biggest QH breeders in history just had a dispersal sale last week. Newest edition of Western Horseman talking about the cut backs by breeders and impact on the long term market for young stock with good breeding. No way to track the breeders of unregistered horses and there are WAY more of them than of registered stock so no one knows what they are doing. Everyone thinks that their one mare and one foal is not adding to the issue...when every single one does. However, a well bred mare bred to a stallion that complements her in conformation, has good disposition (both horses) and a game plan for the foal .....with the decrease in good foals being available....is probably not a problem. No one can realistically do the "keep forever plan" and know that it will hold....horses outlive marriages and once we reach our 40-50's they will outlive many of us. If you're gonna breed....having a good quality mare, an objective view of her faults and good points and matching up to the appropriate stallion (not just one you love that is down the road or owned by a friend but one that truly is a good match for the mare) could be a good thing in the long run.

Well that's one of the reasons I'm looking at buying this mare..I believe her breeding and his will be a great match. I have a friend that has just as nice of a stallion that I could breed to for a lot less money but I don't thank they would be that good of a match. I could buy one of the stallions colts for less than it would cost me to breed to him and feed the mare for a year, but I like her breeding better than most of his mares. I guess I'm really old school and just love the close up Three Bars and Peppy. I would be looking at keeping the foal but you never know for sure what life is going to throw at you down the road. I have enough pasture and only have one other horse so feed and room will not be an issue. Thank I'm going to buy the mare for sure and decide after I get to know her better weither to breed her or not.

I'd reccomend after you get her to spend some time riding her. I don't care for breeding anything that I don't know how they handle daily life. I want to know that they are willing to work, cheerfully. I want to know that both mentally and physically they will hold up. I'm all about bloodlines and conformation, but there is more than just that.

You may find you HATE the mare and don't want a foal from her. You may find you LOVE her. And possibly she's just... eh.

I don't breed unless I love.