MelodieCuffin

Sweeties Foal Watch It's A Colt! 5/20 Scary Update But Baby Is Improving.

I thought I would start a foal blog for sweet.ie my 8 year old apha tobaino mare who is due may 24. This will be her second foal, first was a bay dun colt. The stallion is a red dun 89% foundation quarter horse red dun. He also was the last sire. Cowboy is now gelded so this baby will be their last one.

Sweetie last summer

351hgl0.jpg

january

23t032p.jpg

Today

e9j8sh.jpg

Edited by red neck cowgurl

My mare is due around the same time as yours! Maybe they'll go close to eachother! {{{HFV}}}

Thanks for commenting on my watch. I am glad to have someone going through the same thing at the same time. She has had one before, this is her third pregnancy. We had a bay colt for the first one, she did have a miscarriage about a year ago at 4 months. Her bag from the first foal did not start setting up til about 2 weeks before foaling, and never waxed. We are boarding this time around so hopefully I will be able to see the birth but I am going to look for a reasonable web cam to set up so the bo and we can keep an eye on her. I took some pics of her side but they turned out bad so I will get new ones this weekend.

Not a problem. :smilie:

I keep mine here with me at home so I usually see them everyday, unless the grass in the field is just toooooo good. lol!

I bought an internet cam for the last foal she had. We never did get it set up to stream online, but I could watch it on the computer. It did help and we will be using it again this time. Hope you can find one that will work for what you need. Try Best Buy or maybe a Radio Shack.

Can't wait for new pics!

Edited by SpiffyGrl

Your mare is very pretty. A webcam will be nice for you. I am addicted to marestare and at times I don't get a lot of sleep (cause mares seem to like to foal in the wee hours). Are you hoping for a particular color or sex in this baby?

Thanks peppy sue. Honestly just a healthy foal and mother but if I had a wish, a filly with lots of chrome like her mama. This will probally be her last foal for at least awhile. We are going back to the show ring next year.

I took some pics of sweetie last saturday has taken me a few days to get around to down loading them. She is getting to have just the start of a bag I think, definitely looks bigger than last week but of course I did not take any pics. we have about 7 weeks left.

Weighing in at 1148 prepregnancy she was 958=1000

The first pic is her walking a wierd pic but see the large belly

2vcvp89.jpg

2ir59bo.jpg

v413b5.jpg

9axrgm.jpg

Lookin' good! Looks like she's right around where Spiffy is. They should foal right around the same time! Lol!

I'd watch her, but most mares tend to get big bags then they go back down making us go nuts. It's when it gets big and stays big that you have to watch her very closely. With Spiffy, her bag would go up and down depending on the time of day. When it stayed big no matter the time of day I knew she was close. She also got a 'boat bottom' or 'flat belly bottom' a day or 2 before she had Dude.

I'll get some pics on saturday. My board owner who used to years ago work for a breeding farm in va where they birthed 20 or more babies every season has experience so she is in real good hands.

For anyone who is interested, I have a FB album detailing Apple's bag and vulva for about the last two months of pregnancy. Maybe a month and a half. From the time I realized she was actually pregnant (long story) until the night she foaled.

It's pretty interesting and I thought it was educational, so I left all the pictures on my FB.

Here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1164195162520.19371.1757120067&type=3&l=fa4f882e99

Thanks epona for the pics. Amazing how it can differ. Sweetie did not really bag up last time to a couple weeks before but she was a maiden and to be truthful I did not know what I was really looking for since it was our first baby. The vet is coming out tommorow to look at one of the other horses and bernie(bo) said she would have the doc take a peek at her. Last baby she did not wax, ate her grain like nothing. She was not due for 3 more weeks and hubby put her out in the pasture. I was working a night shift, came home had a cup of tea before going to bed and neighbor is banging on my door saying she was laying down and having the baby. I ran out the baby was out, out of the sack and attempting to stand. So sweetie progresses very quickly. I'm hoping it does not get here til next month, baby needs to ripen more.

Vet was out yesterday at the barn to check on another horse and the vet took a peek at my girl. He is saying 4 weeks, bernie is thinking 3 weeks. The bag is going up and down, vet said it was 3/4 full but to me today looked almost half. Barn manager said it went down a little. I still hoping for another month to get ready. I got some pics will post later. We are at day 297.

Waitin' on pics. Don't be surprised if she goes over though. Alot of mares on another forum I chat on are going over their due dates. Some are going over the year mark!

If she's at 297, then I'd say she has about a month and a half left. About when Spiffy is due.

She's very pretty. I like her markings. And Daddy has a real neat stocking on the right hind leg. I can't wait to see the baby. ((((((((HFV))))))))

I got to spend lots of quality time with my girl. She is boarded at a place about 20 min from me.

Here are some pics mostly today but I took pics yesterday of her bag as well and there was a bit of a change.

s1j97o.jpg

2zswu44.jpg

wjzxg4.jpg

todays baG

14chcaf.jpg

yesterdays BAG

mtt88z.jpg

Just for fun

still trying to roll after grooming but finding a big belly makes it rough.

35bs4ko.jpg

Thanks. Her last one was a bay dun colt with a star on the forehead. Some chrome would be nice but you never know what a paint and a dun will throw.

I hear you on this! I had a dun bs mare that I bred my bay tobiano to and their first foal was a bs red dun colt with a tiny bit of white on one leg and a blaze and their second was a grulla tobiano filly!

((((HFV)))) I can't wait to see pics after she foals=) So glad I joined this forum!

Sweetie sounds like Sweets (she came to us named Sweet Pea). She loooves her attention and has the bad habit of swinging her butt at you and backing up so you can scratch it=P

Oh yeah sweetheart loves attention. We Board so going out today to see the diva today. The vet is coming out to do shots and wanted to check baby's position and gestation. We think she is further along but she could just be fooling with everyone. Get more pics today.